45 coaches online • Server time: 18:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MegaBiquette

Post 3 Posted: May 30, 2015 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello everyone, I'm a returning player (registered in 2006) and a newbie, and sometimes I see this term on the forum.
What is it exactly and how do you do it?

Thanks by advance Smile
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Min-maxing is dropping your TV on purpose, normally into a teams 'sweet-spot'.

The best examples and players firing perfectly healthy players, either because they have too many skills, or didn't roll doubles.

Another is teams running with one or no rerolls and a leader.
Wreckage

Good there is Wikipedia.

Also from Wikipedia this quote:
Neumann (1928) wrote:
As far as I can see, there could be no theory of games … without that theorem … I thought there was nothing worth publishing until the Minimax Theorem was proved.

Last edited by Wreckage on %b %30, %2015 - %15:%May; edited 2 times in total
CW

I am certainly not an expert on how to do it. But I would say the basic definition is managing your team's TV to keep it as low as possible, therefore maximizing the effectiveness of your team.
Motskari

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Min-maxing is thinking if you should keep doubles and +strenght player in your team. Very Happy
https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=26527
m0gw41

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Minimum TV for maximum effectiveness i.e. only choosing the most useful skills and stacking skills that work well together on a few star players, normally in amongst a load of rookies. Min-maxed teams usually come with a minimum of team re-rolls and reserves, and often miss out big guys/less effective positionals. Mostly seen in the Blackbox where games are matched on TV.

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Maxmax is the way to go I say!

ThierryM wrote:
CR... The synonym of E-Penis right ?
Leilond

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

All things said before are correct (firing healty players to reroll their skill hoping for +stat/doubles, firing healty players to keep the TV in the perfect range for a certain race and so on)
The main concept is "Using the rules in a way they're not intended to work"
I try to explain better. Rules are created with perpetual league in mind, and pheraps NAF tournament. In such environment, it's EXTREME RARE (or nearly impossible) to really have any advantage in firing an healty positional with 2-3 skills, because your next opponent won't be weaker because of this, while in Black Box is USUALLY what is going to happen (unless you apply with very few coach ready and you use a >30 match team).
This means that an action (firing healty skilled player) that is usually a stupid move in the perpetual leagues (the environment BB rules are intended for) is an effective move in Black Box.

Finally, it's exploiting a system using mechanics intended for another envirnment. Because Black Box Blood Bowl it's not properly Blood Bowl, but a little difference form of it, but without enough special rules to make the system less exploitable.

It's like playing football with a 20% smaller field, without studing some rules (like play with 1 or 2 player less than standard football) to prevent things to go wrong
koadah

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

MegaBiquette wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm a returning player (registered in 2006) and a newbie, and sometimes I see this term on the forum.
What is it exactly and how do you do it?

Thanks by advance Smile

New coach eh?

Come and see the 145 Club

Min/maxing?

1. Exploiting deficiencies the TV system to create team much more effective than it's stated TV.

2. Excellent team management.

3. Extreme team management

4. Not creating a bloated fluffy team.

5. Keeping TV low(ish) to avoid heavy CPOMBers & Spiralling expenses

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

1. Exploiting deficiencies the TV system to create team much more effective than it's stated TV.

I do not completely agree with this
The TV system, in the environment it is intended to work (perpetual leagues) works pretty well. It's not meant to be extremely accurate, but it is enough to give a bounce of indicement to weaker team to make matchs at least playable.

The problem is that we use the TV system intended for perpetual leagues, in Black Box, where the strength of your next opponent is based on that TV...
That TV system wasn't created for that, and thus it doesn't work properly in Black Box. It's not a system matter, but a Black Box matter (and a Ranked matter, a bit less)
koadah

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Leilond wrote:
koadah wrote:

The TV system, in the environment it is intended to work (perpetual leagues) works pretty well. It's not meant to be extremely accurate, but it is enough to give a bounce of indicement to weaker team to make matchs at least playable.

The problem is that we use the TV system intended for perpetual leagues, in Black Box, where the strength of your next opponent is based on that TV...
That TV system wasn't created for that, and thus it doesn't work properly in Black Box. It's not a system matter, but a Black Box matter (and a Ranked matter, a bit less)

I'd say that too many Fumbblers are too hung up on TV matching. Even so. Getting the best bang for your buck is still min/maxing in a lot of people's books.

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your answers. Also, what does CRP mean?

@Koadah: I saw that club but I'm not sure how to get a game in [L].
Leilond

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Leilond wrote:
koadah wrote:

I'd say that too many Fumbblers are too hung up on TV matching. Even so. Getting the best bang for your buck is still min/maxing in a lot of people's books.

I'm only saying that we, on FUMBBL, use the TV in a wrong way, or to be less rude, to do things the system isn't intende to be used for

The TV system was written to give weaker team some inducement and to limit the developement of a team with spiralling expenses.
Black box uses it to choose your next opponent. A COMPLETELY different use of it, and it is pretty obvious that it is flawed. But it's not the TV system to be flawed. It's the use we make of it that is wrong

It's like football with a basket ball and whine because it doesn't work properly and thus say the basket ball is flawed
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I often sack healthy players in league. Min-max to the max!

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Leilond wrote:
koadah wrote:
Leilond wrote:
koadah wrote:

I'm only saying that we, on FUMBBL, use the TV in a wrong way, or to be less rude, to do things the system isn't intende to be used for

The TV system was written to give weaker team some inducement and to limit the developement of a team with spiralling expenses.
Black box uses it to choose your next opponent. A COMPLETELY different use of it, and it is pretty obvious that it is flawed. But it's not the TV system to be flawed. It's the use we make of it that is wrong

It's like football with a basket ball and whine because it doesn't work properly and thus say the basket ball is flawed

You are not really arguing against my point.

The question was What is min/maxing. Min/maxing is not blood bowl specific.

Jump to: