45 coaches online • Server time: 15:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is the Blackbox welcome message misleading?
Yes, and I play mostly box.
43%
 43%  [ 35 ]
No, and I play mostly box.
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Yes, and I play mostly other divisions.
28%
 28%  [ 23 ]
No, and I play mostly other divisions.
13%
 13%  [ 11 ]
Unsure
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 81

Balle2000

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Sidenote: The League welcome msg mentioning 145 club would be an improvement too.
Uedder

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I was a noob from cyanide with few hundreds games under my belt when i joined. I went into box mostly from the start and liked it. A lot. So did many others. Hence i don't see box as noob unfriendly. In fact i see the MM as more noobfriendly than arranging games in ranked. Some will like it and some will not, it really depends a lot on taste. The important thing is to make clear what you get in both box and ranked, not scare people away from box from the start. That's my 2 cents. Don't think changing the description is reallyin question: i'm sure Christer took these factors into account when he made the call. He has a wider look on the subject imo.
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 02:50 Reply with quote Back to top

the Box makes it very unpersonal to play. you get in, don't even speak a word, bash, and go out. it's the drug-like version of BB - you can ideally get what you want, when you want, the amounth you want.

you you you you you: egoistic ludonymphos.
being in a league may be a hassle because you have to schedule your games, but this is easily done with a minimum effort - knowing when you're online. but committing to a league and then not showing yourself up just because you dislike the matchup, hoping the commissioner to roll a dice ending up in your favor... it's the most vile behavior you can have in a game like BB. even more if it's an official tournament!
but when the league runs well, with people playing their games and growing teams together, you get the most out of the game - playing with someone else, a real person that you could meet again in the future - and it's better to have a friend more rather than piss off people, right?

just my 2c

DustBunny

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 03:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Lets get real about this issue.
There are a lot of passionate posts in here.
But to be completely real, the issue we need to address is the message on the Stunty Division.
It should simply read "Foul 'em all and let Nuffle sort 'em out"

p.s. B2K - I expected you to at least have a fish-pie option.

[13:11] <;@Prinz> i can't ban bunny for being funny
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 03:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Uedder wrote:
Blackbox is the alternative to ranked. Here you are randomly matched Via a matchmaking system with draws every 15 minutes. Are you ready to take all comers? What fate awaits you? Blackbox is for the most flexible competitive and fiercest coaches! Are you ready to box?

This is perfect!

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 03:23
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Uedder wrote:
Blackbox is the alternative to ranked. Here you are randomly matched Via a matchmaking system with draws every 15 minutes. Are you ready to take all comers? What fate awaits you? Blackbox is for the most flexible competitive and fiercest coaches! Are you ready to box?

This is perfect!

Quote:
Blackbox is for the most flexible competitive and fiercest coaches!

That bit doesnt fit with the rest, is terrible grammar, and isn't true. Rest is good though.

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 03:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Well ok when I said perfect I didn't mean actually perfect... but the message is infinitely better than the current one.

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 03:28 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
But new coaches do not understand or know what they're looking for. The ability to choose and make a mistake is much better than being controlled to take a match up, which feels unfair.

The issue of having a default division was removed (which at one point favoured Box, then moved to favour Ranked) Christer spent time doing that purely because he didn't want one division favoured over another.

If you do not have the ability to discern between scenarios, then you do not have the ability to control outcomes, ergo, you end up being the one under the control of another.

In the box, this is bowlbot. In ranked, you are also being controlled, as a newbie, whether you are aware of it or not. There's countless complaints from people in irc or posts over the last months about only being offered games by "legends and superstars" in gamefinder.

All I'm seeing in your posts is a cognitive dissonance and severe bias towards one set of "pickings", ignoring the fact that there are people in box who will, on acknowledging a newbie, do exactly as you have said those "pickers" will do and help them out and refer them to the 145 club etc if necessary (where I believe you'll also find at least one well-known box coach going out his way to help newbies as well). You've stated that the wording was never meant as "ranked vs box", and yet almost single-handedly are turning the thread that way.

Ok, then we'll just say I am fine with the wording and agree with it being used.

I agree with Balle regarding 145. New coaches really need more catering. 145 isn't official that's the problem, but it's pretty close to it now. I don't think anybody has a bad thing to say about the league, it's nigh on perfect.
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 08:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I would vote to leave it alone.

Is new coaches joining with basher teams such a big deal compared to experienced coaches wiping people out with basher teams?

If coaches are complaining about being picked by legends then it shows that they are aware of the rankings and hopefully that they can decline the offers.
They can 'pick' a match that suits them in Ranked. If they want to 'get competitive' the Box is still there for them.

I think that more coaches will stick with the site if they start in Ranked. Sure, that isn't good for the Box but I think it is better for the site. Encourage people to get acclimatised before swimming with the sharks.

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 08:57 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:

I agree with Balle regarding 145. New coaches really need more catering. 145 isn't official that's the problem, but it's pretty close to it now. I don't think anybody has a bad thing to say about the league, it's nigh on perfect.

Really, open leagues need improving. I don't know if that is coming or not with the league upgrades.

Currently leagues are limited to 40 teams. For a small league that is fine but for a bigger league it means that each coach may only enter one team which restricts the number of matches available. So, Ranked is still pretty useful for finding matches.

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 09:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Uedder wrote:
I was a noob from cyanide with few hundreds games under my belt when i joined. I went into box mostly from the start and liked it. A lot. So did many others. Hence i don't see box as noob unfriendly. In fact i see the MM as more noobfriendly than arranging games in ranked. Some will like it and some will not, it really depends a lot on taste. The important thing is to make clear what you get in both box and ranked, not scare people away from box from the start. That's my 2 cents. Don't think changing the description is reallyin question: i'm sure Christer took these factors into account when he made the call. He has a wider look on the subject imo.

"few hundreds games under my belt"? So, you were not exactly a noob then.

OK. Maybe cut the 'new to Fumbbl' but leave in the 'new to blood bowl'

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 09:04 Reply with quote Back to top

BB text:

"COME AT ME BRO"

Surely that works?

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 09:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I think its misleading and i play box and ranked easily.

I think it encourages people to take only bash teams and this is to the overall determent of the division
Reisender

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Guys fixed it for you:

Blackbox is for coaches who enjoy building the best team at a certain Team Value. The better you are at building such a team, the easier your matches will get! That means, as a new coach, you may have to play some matches thta are completely in your opponents favor and boring as hell. Once you get how it works, however, the art of getting maximum value out of as little team value as possible is an interesting and additional challenge to the usual ranked or league play. Just dont confuse it with being fierce or competetive in general.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 09:48 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:

Really, open leagues need improving. I don't know if that is coming or not with the league upgrades.

Currently leagues are limited to 40 teams. For a small league that is fine but for a bigger league it means that each coach may only enter one team which restricts the number of matches available. So, Ranked is still pretty useful for finding matches.

Well you are most definitely the king of the open format league. I also think in a lot of cases this is the way to go. So, if you have ideas I'd jot them down and forward them straight to Christer.
 Jump to: