42 coaches online • Server time: 15:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post killing by fun?goto Post Pact/Renegades metagoto Post custom pitch per tea...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Where should I apply the 'uncontested catch' rule?
You shouldn't. AG3 passing is perfectly fine.
75%
 75%  [ 51 ]
Make it a passing skill. Perfect Spiral.
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Add it to a marginal passing skill.
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Add it to the Pass skill.
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 68

Beerox

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2016 - 01:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Endzone wrote:
If you want to see more passing play 4x 4 turn quarters instead of 2 x 8 turn halves would encourage teams to get on with it.

Or vary the field width by race (and home field)
Dunenzed

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2016 - 01:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Passing isn't bad because of the odds associated with it - I think its more that the consequences are so bad, not only have you lost the ball, you've also generated a turnover, and your screen or cage is likely compromised.

I think something to help mitigate the consequences of failure might be better than just reducing the odds of failure.

I'd suggest a pass recovery skill. If a pass is fumbled either at the pass or at the catch then one player on the passing team with the pass recovery skill could move three squares to recover or protect to ball before the turnover is resolved (similar to pass block without the criteria for getting to interception zone of marking the thrower/catcher). That and I'd probably make it part of the existing pass block skill.

Join the Human League Premiership!
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2016 - 02:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunenzed wrote:
Passing isn't bad because of the odds associated with it - I think its more that the consequences are so bad, not only have you lost the ball, you've also generated a turnover, and your screen or cage is likely compromised.

I think something to help mitigate the consequences of failure might be better than just reducing the odds of failure.

I'd suggest a pass recovery skill. If a pass is fumbled either at the pass or at the catch then one player on the passing team with the pass recovery skill could move three squares to recover or protect to ball before the turnover is resolved (similar to pass block without the criteria for getting to interception zone of marking the thrower/catcher). That and I'd probably make it part of the existing pass block skill.

Finally a good idea that does not upset everything!

The FUMBBL recovery skill! Wink

DLE College 7s
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2016 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:
Dunenzed wrote:

Finally a good idea that does not upset everything!

The FUMBBL recovery skill! Wink

Interesting thought, only activate if the player has not already made an action that turn though.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2016 - 02:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Endzone wrote:
If you want to see more passing play 4x 4 turn quarters instead of 2 x 8 turn halves would encourage teams to get on with it.

Interesting suggestion, although I think it would play too much into the hands of the agile teams. On defence, they can kick deep and just play a solid blockade, and on offence, they can happily score a 2-3 turn TD, with no need to stall to prevent an equalizer.

Although, I guess they would have to face more LOS hits from the bash teams.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2016 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
Endzone wrote:

Interesting suggestion, although I think it would play too much into the hands of the agile teams. On defence, they can kick deep and just play a solid blockade, and on offence, they can happily score a 2-3 turn TD, with no need to stall to prevent an equalizer.

Although, I guess they would have to face more LOS hits from the bash teams.

Well it clearly disadvantages slow unagile teams. Sounds perfect for elf ball, but games will be 3-2 on average I guess.
fidius

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2016 - 02:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunenzed wrote:

While I agree the consequences of a failed throw are too severe, "pass recovery" feels a bit tacked-on, especially because it's a deviation from the "turnover means end of turn" rule. Interesting thought though.

One way to lessen the negative consequences is perhaps to divide the interception roll into "tip" and "catch". Passes can be "tipped" on a -2AG roll just like INT, but then a catch roll must be made as well, otherwise the ball bounces. At least then the opposition may have to pick the ball up, and the throwing team can plan for the contingency a little better.
Dunenzed

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2016 - 04:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Only triggering for a player that hasn't moved is interesting. Thinking about it more I might limit it to a player within 4 squares of the ball, and they must try to pick up the ball if possible, and end their move with or adjacent to the ball.

I see it as a deviation to turn sequence equivalent to the dump off or pass block skill.

Join the Human League Premiership!
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2016 - 04:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Interceptions are very very rare. Not an area changing is going to make any real behavioural or statistical difference I don't think. Plus OGRE INTERCEPTIONS! You just killed them, and they are just funny.

DLE College 7s
Tomay

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2016 - 04:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I think they need to combine some of the skills that aren't worth 20TV now that inducements are such a big deal.

I like the idea of combining pass and safe throw.

I also like the idea of combining diving catch and catch.

Would also help some of the weaker player types out there who are overpriced such as human catchers.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2016 - 08:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:
Plus OGRE INTERCEPTIONS! You just killed them, and they are just funny.

This is true. This is very very true.

OK I'm not a fan of any of the poll options but here's another idea. Roll especially well on the pass (say modified 6 or higher), and the catch is +1. Accurate and Strong Arm make it more likely, range and TZs make it less.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2016 - 08:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Beerox wrote:
Endzone wrote:

Or vary the field width by race (and home field)

Yes, i like this one. I think i proposed this before at least as a client option. But to be completely honest, this would be more an anti-stall measure.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2016 - 09:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, so i will list the skills related to passing, and some ideas. Now the target for this excercise below is to promote passing with as little change as possible, and looking for simplification in the rules rather adding complexity. At the end i also give a further idea.

Skills: ACCURATE, DUMP-OFF, HAIL MARY PASS, NERVES OF STEEL, PASS, SAFE THROW, STRONG ARM, CATCH, DIVING CATCH

Proposed rule change (simplification): Passing range does not increae fummble chance (as proposed above).
Consequences:
- Agility 6 has some merit in passing (horray)
- Slight buff at TTM and long passes
- Taking STRONG ARM is not penalised against ACCURATE on most passers
I think we could live without those convoluted exceptions that are hard to grasp anyway.

PASS skill (change of wording): Whenever the player with PASS skill rolls for a pass action, then rolls twice instead, and choose the result. (So it is not rerolled, but like making a 1d block to a 2d block.)

SAFE THROW skill (added wording): If there was no interception attempt possible, and the pass is accurate, then the receiver gets an additional +1 for the catch roll.

Extra point:
Make leap the same like dodge. So a 2+ with agility 4. That would make it possible for teams to sack caged carriers more easily. This would make caging more risky. As a sideeffect this would seriously improve slann, but they are not tier1 at the moment anyway. I dont think this would make them over tier1, but i would not mind them as an additional tier1 race.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2016 - 09:41 Reply with quote Back to top

No WDs don't need a 2+ leap.

DLE College 7s
Suppurax

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2016 - 09:41 Reply with quote Back to top

There's diving catch. Works fine now.
 Jump to: