43 coaches online • Server time: 18:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pythrr

Post   Posted: May 07, 2016 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

just like on TV, no one can understand why a player gets the MVP.

i always say, "I'm not saying it's aliens, but ... it's aliens."

Last edited by pythrr on %b %07, %2016 - %18:%May; edited 1 time in total
fivehead

Post   Posted: May 07, 2016 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
deyempe wrote:
I thin kthe system would be much more mature/elegant if it was calculated based upon merit, its only sensible and i imagine not too difficult to do. Thats how I would do it and imo how it should be done.

From a fluff perspective it should be awarded for merit.
From a game perspective awarding MVP to the player who earned more SPPs would make teams even more "Stars & Scrubs" than now.
I'd like to award the MVP to the player with the least SPPs (randomizing it only if there are many players with the same number of SPPs).

That would make SPPs spreading more even.

Yea, I'm kind of on both sides. MVP would be cool for fluff. It'd also make that homepage stat about the guy with the most MVPs more impressive, lol.

On the other hand, I get why MVPs are given randomly. If they weren't, every team would be way to unbalanced over enough time. I just wish there was a way to justify both sides.
deyempe

Post   Posted: May 07, 2016 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
deyempe wrote:
I thin kthe system would be much more mature/elegant if it was calculated based upon merit, its only sensible and i imagine not too difficult to do. Thats how I would do it and imo how it should be done.

From a game perspective awarding MVP to the player who earned more SPPs would make teams even more "Stars & Scrubs" than now.
I'd like to award the MVP to the player with the least SPPs (randomizing it only if there are many players with the same number of SPPs).

BUT thats just my point, not only should the system take into consideration SPP (which shouldnt be the highest priority in such a system) but it should also account for the other stats except FOUL (in actual fact SPP shouldnt be accounted for because thats a solid reward imeediately earned upon sucsess already), now what I imagine would work well is:

Cp Td In Cs.. all already earn your players SPP - so dont consider these alone. Compare them somehow with the others; R B & P

The R B & P alone dont nessisarily mean much in terms of who did the most for the team during a match, (note: im not a math dude) BUT combined or multiplied or figured out some way.. for instance like so with the Cp Td In Cs ...could work;

Td+R, B+Cs, P+Cp

compared against each player, and drawing a conclusion from there maybe...

There needs to be a tally/MVPPoints system to do this math (idk), but a Touchdown is worth more (imo) than 1 rush yard or 1 block... so say;

TDx10
Rx1
Bx1
Cx5
Px1
CPx5
INx5

for each player add these all together and compare with each other to find MVP.

or somthing like that, so in the end the player who got the highest overall score/value is awarded the MVP.. D6 to tie break.

I stress that SPP and FOUL should be ignored in the system (at least the way I would it)

The actual values would ofc need to be balanced because obviously some teams score alot less than others naturally in TD's+R (Nurgle), while others can get many more TD's+R, so maybe an equal scoreing for those and B+Cs would be more accurate.. then the same/simlar with the others.

Last edited by deyempe on %b %07, %2016 - %19:%May; edited 5 times in total
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: May 07, 2016 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
just like on TV, no one can understand why a player gets the MVP.

i always say, "I'm not saying it's aliens, but ... it's aliens."

Okay, Giorgio Tsoukalos. I'm on to you...
pythrr

Post   Posted: May 07, 2016 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

deyempe wrote:
MattDakka wrote:
deyempe wrote:

BUT thats just my point, not only should the system take into consideration SPP (which shouldnt be the highest priority in such a system) but it should also account for the other stats except FOUL (in actual fact SPP shouldnt be accounted for because thats a solid reward imeediately earned upon sucsess already), now what I imagine would work well is:

Cp Td In Cs.. all already earn your players SPP - so dont consider these alone. Compare them somehow with the others; R B & P

The R B & P alone dont nessisarily mean much in terms of who did the most for the team during a match, (note: im not a math dude) BUT combined or multiplied or figured out some way.. for instance like so with the Cp Td In Cs ...could work;

Td+R, B+Cs, P+Cp

There needs to be a tally/MVPPoints system to do this math (idk), so say;

1 TD = 10 MVPP
10 R = 10 MVPP
10 B = 5 MVPP
1 C = 5 MVPP
1 P = 5 MVPP
1 Cp = 5 MVPP

or somthing like that, so in the end the player who got the highest MVPP is awarded the MVP..

I know it sounds complicated but thats because I am not good with these types of things (appologise) But I know some of you dudes are epic smart with this type of thing and could maybe work it out better.

I stress that SPP and FOUL should be ignored in the system (at least the way I would it)

EDIT:

simplified and more likely.

1 TD = 10 MVPP
1 R = 1 MVPP
1 B = 1 MVPP
1 C = 5 MVPP
1 P = 1 MVPP
1 Cp = 5 MVPP
1 In = 5 MVPP

Highest MVPP player gets MVP. D6 to tie break.

PS: The actual values would ofc need to be balanced because obviously some teams score alot less than others naturally in TD's+R (Nurgle), while others can get many more TD's+R, so maybe an equal scoreing for those and B+Cs would be more accurate.. then the same/simlar with the others.

SO idk maybe;

1 TD = 10 MVPP
1 R = 1 MVPP
1 B = 1 MVPP
1 C = 10 MVPP
1 P = 1 MVPP
1 Cp = 10 MVPP
1 In = 5/10/15 idk MVPP

stop throwing bollocksloads of math at the problem.

it's the end of a TT BB game. you and yr mate have just played out an amusing 2-2 draw. you've drunk half a bottle of scotch between you. do you really want to be thinking about all the bollocks at that point? no, you don't. you just want to roll a simple dice roll to see who gets the MVP and then eat some more pizza and go watch the goblins vs elfs on the other table.

Post   Posted: May 07, 2016 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
pythrr wrote:
it's the end of a TT BB game. you and yr mate have just played out an amusing 2-2 draw. you've drunk half a bottle of scotch between you. do you really want to be thinking about all the bollocks at that point? no, you don't. you just want to roll a simple dice roll to see who gets the MVP and then eat some more pizza and go watch the goblins vs elfs on the other table.

Actually you are right. If you check the post now you'll see I have removed most of the complication, the edited system is easy to understand and calculate.. however yea might be a bit time consuming xD

Last edited by deyempe on %b %07, %2016 - %19:%May; edited 1 time in total
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: May 07, 2016 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

In the meantime... <clatter> <clatter> <clatter> Oh man! The dead guy AGAIN!...

Post   Posted: May 07, 2016 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
deyempe wrote:
MattDakka wrote:
deyempe wrote:

Td+R, B+Cs, P+Cp

1 TD = 10 MVPP
10 R = 10 MVPP
10 B = 5 MVPP
1 C = 5 MVPP
1 P = 5 MVPP
1 Cp = 5 MVPP

or somthing like that, so in the end the player who got the highest MVPP is awarded the MVP..

I know it sounds complicated but thats because I am not good with these types of things (appologise) But I know some of you dudes are epic smart with this type of thing and could maybe work it out better.

EDIT:

1 TD = 10 MVPP
1 R = 1 MVPP
1 B = 1 MVPP
1 C = 5 MVPP
1 P = 1 MVPP
1 Cp = 5 MVPP
1 In = 5 MVPP

PS: The actual values would ofc need to be balanced because obviously some teams score alot less than others naturally in TD's+R (Nurgle), while others can get many more TD's+R, so maybe an equal scoreing for those and B+Cs would be more accurate.. then the same/simlar with the others.

SO idk maybe;

1 TD = 10 MVPP
1 R = 1 MVPP
1 B = 1 MVPP
1 C = 10 MVPP
1 P = 1 MVPP
1 Cp = 10 MVPP
1 In = 5/10/15 idk MVPP

stop throwing bollocksloads of quotes in your responses.

it's the end of a forum page, at least one of us is drunk. Do you really want to have to re-read something deyempe just posted? no, you don't. You just want to make a lame attempt at humor, then get acknowledged for it, and go hang on to your shred of self-worth.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 07, 2016 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
The rhyme of MVP:

----------------------
I wonder about the MVP
It seems to make no sense to me.
The player who most scored.
surely gets no award.
It's for one KOed in turn 3
-----------------------

Someone else will need to provide the reason....

I've thought to this on the tune of Lather by Jefferson Airplane. Grace Slick being less of an asshole and singing to our silly compositions... I wonder what's inside this spanish beer

pythrr

Post   Posted: May 07, 2016 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
pythrr wrote:
deyempe wrote:
MattDakka wrote:
deyempe wrote:

Td+R, B+Cs, P+Cp

1 TD = 10 MVPP
10 R = 10 MVPP
10 B = 5 MVPP
1 C = 5 MVPP
1 P = 5 MVPP
1 Cp = 5 MVPP

EDIT:

1 TD = 10 MVPP
1 R = 1 MVPP
1 B = 1 MVPP
1 C = 5 MVPP
1 P = 1 MVPP
1 Cp = 5 MVPP
1 In = 5 MVPP

SO idk maybe;

1 TD = 10 MVPP
1 R = 1 MVPP
1 B = 1 MVPP
1 C = 10 MVPP
1 P = 1 MVPP
1 Cp = 10 MVPP
1 In = 5/10/15 idk MVPP

stop throwing bollocksloads of quotes in your responses.

it's the end of a forum page, at least one of us is drunk. Do you really want to have to re-read something deyempe just posted? no, you don't. You just want to make a lame attempt at humor, then get acknowledged for it, and go hang on to your shred of self-worth.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Nope. It just can't be bothered eiditing...

Post   Posted: May 07, 2016 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

fivehead wrote:
This is a question I've had for quite a while. For instance, my friend's Minotaur, who played one turn, got an MVP that game. Also, one of my zombies on my Necromantic team has gotten 3 MVPs in a row, but he hasn't really done anything remarkable.

So are MVPs luck, skill, or both?

Every player has an equal chance of winning the MVP.
Have 11 players (including Journeymen) and each play has 1/11 chance to be MVP.
Have 16 players (including Star Players) and each player was 1/16 chance to be MVP.
The odds of being MVP do not change once the game has started even if a few players RIP duing the game.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: May 07, 2016 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

jdmickleburgh wrote:
I've played in tabletop league where you nominate 3 players and roll a D3 (or similar flavours to that). These were houserules that were easily open for abuse :s

I do like random though. Fans are a stupid lot, what makes you think they'd make a sensible decision. Or maybe that rookie lineman that sat on your bench all game paid off someone to get mvp to impress a girl he's dating.

We used 1 random and 1 awarded by the coach. Worked pretty good for TT.

We also tried 5 free spps at the end of each game the coach could give to any players he wanted in any number. All 5 to 1 guy. 1 each to 5 guys. Any way you want to distribute 5 spps you get to do it. That worked pretty good too.

I wouldn't want to see these done on FUMBBL though. Too much potential for abuse.
I would MAYBE support a 1 spp per game Coaches Award though.That would be abused... but it wouldn't be too bad.
You get the award as long as you don't forfeit.
zakatan

Post   Posted: May 07, 2016 - 23:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
The rhyme of MVP:

----------------------
I wonder about the MVP
It seems to make no sense to me.
The player who most scored.
surely gets no award.
It's for one KOed in turn 3
-----------------------

This thread should get locked after this. There's really nothing else to add.

Post   Posted: May 08, 2016 - 02:04 Reply with quote Back to top

And so the goldfish spake
As a rhyme he did make
on awarding mvp's to the players on a team.
inconclusive were his views
but rhythmic flowed his words
thoralf

Post   Posted: May 08, 2016 - 03:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Most Valuable Player

Most Versatile Playmaker
Most Valued Positional
Most Vigorous Perfectionist
Most Valiant Pensioner
Most Vindictive Professional
Most Volubile Peacock
Most Volatile Projectile