57 coaches online • Server time: 16:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Semitence

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2016 - 03:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure if this is the right place for it...

Just had a box game against a very pleasant chap. Things didn't go his way and yet he played in good spirits and it got me to thinking, is there a way to rate coaches? Sort of like an aura?
pythrr

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2016 - 03:32 Reply with quote Back to top

damn these rat coaches!

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2016 - 03:37 Reply with quote Back to top

It's been one of my wishes but there's two things working against it

1. We take 'name and shame' very seriously here. In general we don't want the community to devolve into bickering about who had the best dice and whose underlying 'skill' was invalidated (in a game they chose to play involving dice but I digress). Anti-social abuses are handled by the admin staff who do their job well.

2. Someone's fee fees would be hurt and they'd whine about how other people perceive them and state that collective opinions about their sociability are objectively wrong. Which in itself would seemingly validate the low ratings.

If we were going to have it I'd break it into two parts

a. Match - Rate the match on a scale of 1 to 5. Try and factor in dice, strategic opportunities, value of time, and level of competition. Did you enjoy the match itself?
b. Coach - Rate the sociability of the other coach on a scale of 1 to 5. Is this a coach you would gladly spend 2 hours with playing a Table top game or nah?
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2016 - 03:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Best you can do is add him to your friendlist.
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2016 - 04:09 Reply with quote Back to top

my wife says I have an aura... I prefer musk...

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2016 - 04:22 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:

1. ...who had the best dice ?
I do. They roll like iron and turn up lead. Next.
Quote:

2. Someone's fee fees would be hurt .

I have no feelings. Weak mortals. Next.
Quote:

a. Match
My matches are often a 0. Next.
Quote:

b. Coach
I'm an off the chart 10 and annoying as hell. I also always seem to make everything about me. Next.
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2016 - 04:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I've thought about it a bit too, and unfortunately rating coaches is open to the potential for abuse. I thought it would be fun and useful to be able to declare yourself a fan (or not) of coaches teams. This leads to interesting things like the most loved or reviled team on Fumbbl, etc. Focusing on the teams would hopefully keeps everyone's feelings from getting hurt.

I really like the rating idea for matches too, and would be nice if you could search by the ratings to find certain matchups and also to see how many times the match has been replayed, etc.
Semitence

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2016 - 04:39 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
1. We take 'name and shame' very seriously here. In general we don't want the community to devolve into bickering about who had the best dice and whose underlying 'skill' was invalidated (in a game they chose to play involving dice but I digress). Anti-social abuses are handled by the admin staff who do their job well.

2. Someone's fee fees would be hurt and they'd whine about how other people perceive them and state that collective opinions about their sociability are objectively wrong. Which in itself would seemingly validate the low ratings.

To clarify, the thought was that the rating given would be invisible to all but yourself, and would be for the coach overall.

Perhaps ratings/auras start at neutral and can go up, but if the experiences aren't great then their rating stays neutral? Picks out the really good eggs, and the rest are in the pack. Achieves the pat on the back aspect as well as not 'name and shaming' the ones that aren't so great?
Semitence

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2016 - 04:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Rbthma wrote:
I've thought about it a bit too, and unfortunately rating coaches is open to the potential for abuse.

As is everything.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2016 - 05:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Semitence wrote:
Rbthma wrote:
I've thought about it a bit too, and unfortunately rating coaches is open to the potential for abuse.

As is everything.

what, even jesus?

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2016 - 05:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Semitence wrote:
As is everything.

There is always a Sneaky Git.

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2016 - 06:19 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

what, even jesus?

"What would Jesus do" was abused...
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2016 - 06:27 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
It's been one of my wishes but there's two things working against it

If we were going to have it I'd break it into two parts

a. Match - Rate the match on a scale of 1 to 5. Try and factor in dice, strategic opportunities, value of time, and level of competition. Did you enjoy the match itself?
b. Coach - Rate the sociability of the other coach on a scale of 1 to 5. Is this a coach you would gladly spend 2 hours with playing a Table top game or nah?

Or you could simply have it as a "Thumbs up" system, much like FB of old.

So it would be how many likes you get, but no method for giving poor reviews.

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
fidius

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2016 - 06:41 Reply with quote Back to top

There's something to be said for having the right enemies.

Last edited by fidius on %b %05, %2016 - %20:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
sheepycollins

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2016 - 06:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes but although your friends come and go, enemies accumulate...