16 coaches online • Server time: 03:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Notgivingname

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Big Guys? Strong, tough, stupid, and the cause of more turn overs than I can count. Yet, some teams absolutely require them to function. Which ones of the regular CRP (discounting Secret League) are actually necessary for teams, which ones are a good optional pick, and which ones should you never bother with?
Dominik

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Kroxigor and Ogre on Human are always valuable. Troll Orc and Beast of Nurgle follow soon.
Wood Elves shouldn't buy a Treemen unlike they frequently play non-agile teams.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

All the Ogres on an Ogres team.
The Mino on a CD team... some disagree... but if you don't use him you have to use another Hobgoblin.
The Snow Troll for Norse is very useful too.
Kroxigor for BOTH Slaan and Lizards... a MUST for the Lizards... not as much for Slaan but still very useful.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 21:22 Reply with quote Back to top

The Chaos Troll for Underworld... BOTH Trolls for Goblins UNLESS you are The Great Gobbo... and BOTH Treemen for Halflings. PLUS... I would say the Silverback for Simyin teams.
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

At Least the Ogre, and possibly the Troll on Pact. Getting at least one double on both can make them indispensable.

Mummies on Undead, probably the most MUST HAVE big on any roster, as they have no Negatraits.
Dominik

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

For me Big Guys are those with negatraits. Mummies have none and Tomb Guardians aswell. They do not count as Big Guys.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Wood Elf treeman is one skill away from making ottds even easier. I wouldnt leave home without one.

Last edited by mrt1212 on %b %28, %2017 - %21:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Notgivingname

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 21:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
For me Big Guys are those with negatraits. Mummies have none and Tomb Guardians aswell. They do not count as Big Guys.

Technically the Tomb Guardians do have a nega-trait, namely decay.

Also they take up the same role as the big guys on other teams, namely being 5 strength punchers/road blocks that are also slow, unagile, and cannot normally get general skills.
Jeffthejar

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

But also the Tomb Guardians don't start off with an attrition skill (no mighty blow, no claw), so it becomes harder to think of them as a "Big Guy" for some, as Big Guys tend to have loner and then either RS, BH, or WA. Personally, I think of TGs as "Blockers", as in, a roadblocker, like a black orc or a flesh golem.
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

My opinion:

Useless: Minotard & Rat Ogre (Must blitz or be even more unreliable, & weak armor, and Frenzy could cause problems for new coaches), Deathroller (Not worth the TV & Secret Weapon)

Not Good: Snow Troll (Suffers from Frenzy & weak armor, but has Claw)

Ok: Troll (Needs an assist for Really Stupid & Slow, but Regen is nice), Treeman (Good for a roadblock, taking hits & helping with one-turn scores, but too slow to help vs agile teams)

Reasonable: Ogre (Good stats, and Thick Skull), Chaos Pact & Underworld Troll (Same as Troll but with claws)

Good: Beast of Nurgle (Suffers from Really Stupid, but great road block with Tentacles, Disturbing Presence, and Foul Appearance, Regen is a plus)

Best: Kroxigar (Best stats, Thick Skull and Prehensile Tail)

Last edited by BillBrasky on %b %28, %2017 - %21:%Feb; edited 3 times in total
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
but if you don't use him you have to use another Hobgoblin.

Using a Minotaur instead of a Hobgoblin might make you face a team 110 TV higher than yours, though.

About using a Big Guy: it's a TV-related matter, while an Ogre is valuable on a TV 1000 Human team, it might be better to drop him once you are in clawpomb zone and take more reserves to soak up the CAS and to foul.

In my opinion:

- Minotaur, Deatholler, Beast of Nurgle are not necessary; although I generally play with a Beast of Nurgle during the early stages of the team, I drop it when the team is more developed;
- Kroxigor is necessary on Lizardmen teams, optional on Slann teams;
- Treeman is necessary on Halflings teams, optional on Wood Elves teams;
- Ogre is optional on Human and Chaos Pact teams;
- Troll is necessary on Goblin teams and Underworld, optional for Orcs and Chaos Pact, he's cheap for a Big Guy;
- Rat Ogre is not necessary;
- Yhetee: optional.
licker

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Mummies, Tomb Guardians, and Flesh Golems are all considered blockers.

They are NOT big guys.

As to which ones are worth taking...

That depends on how you want to play your team. From a pure min max stand point the answer is probably none of them, even the Lizard Krox.

The ones which are clearly terrible and should never be used ever on any team starts and ends with Minotards. They are terrible and provide nothing the teams which can roster them cannot otherwise do with other players.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Best big guys are the ones that don't have Loner. I.e. the ones on the stunty teams Smile

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
sheepycollins

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I found the rat ogre and minotaur a godsend on my skaven and pact teams at low TV but at higher TV the rat ogre is not worth it, and my pact mino almost made legend but sadly suffered -1 str to i had to let him go and he had block and claw :'(

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

No Big: Amazon, Dark Elf, Elf, High Elf, Khemri, Necromantic, Undead

Necessary Big: Goblin Troll, Halfling Treeman, Ogre Ogre

Good Big: Lizardman Kroxigor, Beast of Nurgle, Underworld Warpstone Troll

Mediocre Big: Chaos Pact Ogre, Chaos Pact Troll, Human Ogre, Norse Snow Troll, Slann Kroxigor

Stupid Big: Chaos Minotaur, Orc Troll, Skaven Rat Ogre

Stupider Big Chaos Dwarf Minotaur, Chaos Pact Minotaur, Dwarf Deathroller, Wood Elf Treeman