41 coaches online • Server time: 10:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PeteW

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2020 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a thread for participants (past, present and future) of the WhiteIsle League:
https://fumbbl.com/p/group?op=view&group=3449

However, intelligent posts from others involved in running leagues are also appreciated!

The WhiteIsle League for a long time has tried to follow the main rules of Bloodbowl, and to run long-term leagues allowing teams and rivalries to develop. As seasons were optional in BB2016 we decided not to run with them a few years ago.

Now, with the coming of BB2020, it would be a good time to have a discussion about what we will do in the future. It is worth saying that there are plenty of unknowns at the moment. We don't know when the client will be ready (and if you are a competent programmer then please talk to Christer). We don't fully know the new rules, especially those pertaining to league. We don't know if it will be possible to port teams from BB2016 to BB2020. But I will try to update this first post as we know more.

Some reasonable questions to spark discussion:
- Do people want to port teams, or for everyone to restart with new?
- if seasons are optional, do we like the idea of redrafting type options?

Also, please post new questions for discussion.

As always, keep it WIL.

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2020 - 18:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I just rejoined after a little 10 years break, so I wont cast a vote, but will approve whatever you decide!
MisterA

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2020 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Im definitely up for continuing as is, another league or 2 until we know where were at!
Rags

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2020 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I am WIL realtive newcomer, participating in my second season. Personally I am looking forward to BB2020 and feel optimistic that like BB2016, they'll get it right.

Leagues seem to be a key focus of the new version. Seperate drafting rules for exhibition matches are included, with the main game geared towards league play. I would argue for going with the new system and see how it works out - hopefully great.

Since I'm new, I am not casting a vote, just offering my two cents. I'll gladly to defer to established WIL coaches. The same with teams. I don't mind redrafting, but I understand some teams have the legacy of amn established football club at this stage, and don't want to be wiped out at a stroke. To each coach their own, balance permitting.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2020 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW, something that has come up with several leagues I'm part of (NA mostly), is what to do during this transition period when we aren't really sure of the timelines of the rule change, and what exactly will be available to leagues.

In particular, 3-5 of those leagues are all scheduled to start a new season within +- a month of new year.

So, any ideas about what other leagues are doing for the season that might be impacted by the switch over would be very interesting to us.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2020 - 19:30
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

- Do people want to port teams, or for everyone to restart with new?

Happy with either, my choice would be to port teams.

- if seasons are optional, do we like the idea of redrafting type options?

Yes, i think without redrafting the new rules don't work and the league will quickly become a sad joke.

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2020 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Porting teams if people like is important, I think. You don’t want to lose all that history if you can get away with it?

Yes to redrafting. Every other season or so?
TheGngrNoob

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2020 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

As much as my Halflings have caused much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I would not be averse to importing previous teams where possible

The redraft system, from what I have seen, is very interesting and would be useful with perpetual teams

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2020 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Porting teams if people like is important, I think. You don’t want to lose all that history if you can get away with it?

Yes to redrafting. Every other season or so?

Every other season opens up new thoughts for me. I had thought it would be every season or nothing. Good brain work. If a season is 9 games, then every other season makes sense, or perhaps every three, but we could see how it goes.

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2020 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I feel rather strongly that the new season/redrafting rules will ruin leagues as we know them.

I would like to port teams if people think that is workable, but would also be fine with making new ones.

However, I would strongly prefer to continue without seasons, to the point where I will probably leave the league if frequent redrafting is instituted. That's not intended to be some kind of ultimatum, in any case I only just joined so it wouldn't have any weight, but I mention it to make clear how strongly it would impact my enjoyment of the league.
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2020 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

@ArthurWynne: If you use seasons, you do not have to cut all the way down to 1300 or 1350.

You also may not have to use the same cap for each division.

(Not voting. Haven't been a member for a looooong time Smile )

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2020 - 21:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Only recently re-joined myself 2 seasons back after being part of WIL from way back when...

Looking back into that past - I seem to remember there were enforced TV caps at each 'tier' of the WIL which often required some cutting at the end of the season... even more so if you got relegated!
This not only added extra spice but kept 'killer' bash teams and fully tooled up elf teams under control.

My suggestion is having those Tiered TV caps back in place, alongside the redraft system to actually make that process a bit easier...
The tricky bit is working out what those TV tiers need to be in order to maintain balance and keep most of the teams competitive...

Something like:
Premiership <1900 TV (should prevent Elves spamming guard on chosen doubles?)
Conferences <1750 TV
Regionals <1500 TV
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2020 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I would agree with porting and then redrafting every 2 seasons. Suggestion re drafting would be approx 1800 prem, 1600 next tier and 1400 final tier, tvs subject to change depending on how the rules pan out. This actually works to keep the balance between the divisions right as well, rookie teams shouldn't be competing versus 2k teams in the same league imo. Whilst prem teams should be bigger and (generally) better.

Not strictly BB2020 related, but I would also prefer fewer promotions/relegations, 5 per div seems too much and makes it harder to build rivalries when people don't stay in the same division as much.

@ArthurWynne: Would suggest suck it and see approach, there are definitely some things about the new rules that hurt development of unique/special players, but on the other hand should also encourage unique/special teams where you have more control to build skills that more clearly match your playstyle.
Prez

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2020 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I am looking forward to the new rules coming in, as it hopefully does away with monster teams and their bloat. Though the new rules maybe of a mixed blessing, as nothing usually good comes of re-inventing the wheel.

Definitely keen on 'Porting' teams, WIL has a rich history of some long lived teams, woul0 be a shame to lose them. However remember on the last client update, porting teams wasn't possible. The SWL boys did a complete RESTART of their league with new teams.

Drafting - Not sure on this gimmick, do like Purps idea of every other season etc. How will drafting work with teams trying to drop out for a season and then re-emerge the subsequent season or teams rejoining will have to undergo a draft. Seems to me that like ArthurWynne commented it could possibly break Leagues

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2020 - 10:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I was excited when the new edition was announced, but have naturally found my enthusiasm for this edition waning as we wait for the new rules. I don't want to play another season of the current ruleset. If that happens I would be happy to bow out and re-join later. Other than that I'll go with the flow.
 Jump to: