22 coaches online • Server time: 08:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Zlefin

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2021 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

What would be a good alternate system to use? I find the standard BB2020 rules for statups unsatisfying.

Having stat freaks in the past was fun, and helped make for interesting unusual characters. The current system seems like statfreaks are simply going to be super rare.

Particular issues: it takes a LOT of SPP. And even then there's a lot of uncertainty about which statups you might get. With redrafts it seems doubtful statups will be taken much rather than skills, as the high SPP requirements means very few characters will be able to accumulate enough points.

+ST and +AG, the most interesting statups, still require a high roll that's hard to get, especially with the large SPP cost. In addition, +ST and +AG are so super costly tv-wise that they don't even seem to be worth it from a min/max perspective. With AG not affecting passing with, it just doesn't seem worth 50k. And 80k for strength is just an enormous price.

So, any recommendations on how best to change the statup system for a houseruled league?
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2021 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I've always argued that TV is in no way the best handicapping system for a perpetual league. As a perpetual league you can tailor handicapping to fit your needs.

I would personally scrap TV for most things and replace it with:

1. An end of season cull (ok, you probably want to use TV or TR for this).
2. A handicap system based on league position. 50-100k gold handicap for each position one team is above another.
3. The winning team retires to the 'Legends League' (effectively removing them). Each season there's a special cup for all winning teams.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2021 - 05:03 Reply with quote Back to top

If you like the old system, keep it.

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2021 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

+PA on 10? 11?

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2021 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Is there an option in the new update to increase your pass stat? Or is that simply increased under accurate and other throwing skills?
BlockBadger

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2021 - 03:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a note, Ag is 40k not 50k in BB2020.

So I wrote a house rule for this a while ago, not replacing the BB2020 system but instead trying to make it potentially worth it.

So:
Instead of the d16 you roll a d8

Roll chart: d8
1-2 Ma or Av
3-5 Ma, Pa or Av
6 Ag or Pa
7 St or Ag
8 Any

More chance of any stat bar Ma and Av which is still very high at 3/4, worse case scenario it’s a 1/4 to get strength. Keeps you from having to use those bad GW d16s with sequential numbers.

I’d keep the TV high for them, as St and Ag up were OP in past editions. If you must drop Str to 60k but any lower would risk elf’s out bashing orcs due to farming SP for stats though TDs, they don’t need to roll dubs for guard now so it’s a real worry.

I’d also change it so you can take a primary or a secondly skill if you don’t want the stat up you rolled.

With lower SPP from the MVP and no choice on who gets it, I’d give every player you takes part in the match (other then the MVP) one SPP if you want teams to progress faster. Lot of house work, but due to you not having to use your SPP it would not be an issue to end up with linemen with SPP, and it makes sure people don’t get too screwed by bad MVPs.

Thresh yes there is.
Arthas85

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2021 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting topic.
Talking about strength, i think that a +st should not be equal for all players.
+1 st on a snot is not the same as +st on a chaos warrior or a wardancer.
I would say that +1st should be:
"current strength*10k + 20k"

A similar rationale could be applied to +1ag.
neuro_

Post   Posted: Jul 27, 2021 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

BlockBadger wrote:
Just a note, Ag is 40k not 50k in BB2020.

So I wrote a house rule for this a while ago, not replacing the BB2020 system but instead trying to make it potentially worth it.

So:
Instead of the d16 you roll a d8

Roll chart: d8
1-2 Ma or Av
3-5 Ma, Pa or Av
6 Ag or Pa
7 St or Ag
8 Any

Funnily enough I house rule this myself! Convergent evolution Wink
neuro_

Post   Posted: Jul 27, 2021 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

BlockBadger wrote:

I’d also change it so you can take a primary or a secondly skill if you don’t want the stat up you rolled.

you can already do this in BB2020 Smile
MarckusOfCamlan

Post   Posted: Jul 27, 2021 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Arthas85 wrote:

I like this idea, but I believe it's more complex than that. An highly mobile player like a wardancer will benefit more from the +1 St. Moreover going from 3 to 4 or from 4 to 5 are very important. From 6 to 7 or 7 to 8 not so much.
Kinks

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2021 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

MarckusOfCamlan wrote:
Arthas85 wrote:

I like this idea, but I believe it's more complex than that. An highly mobile player like a wardancer will benefit more from the +1 St. Moreover going from 3 to 4 or from 4 to 5 are very important. From 6 to 7 or 7 to 8 not so much.

Absolutely. Not a perfect reflection of TV (but then are all skills worth exactly the same TV). I think 50-75% of the Players base value for Strength would be a rough guide.

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2021 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Thresh wrote:
Is there an option in the new update to increase your pass stat? Or is that simply increased under accurate and other throwing skills?

Yes, PA stat can be improved with Player Advancements

It's actually decreased when it gets better (2+ is better than 3+)
PA and AG stats can only be 'increased' by Player Injuries
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2021 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Not a stat up rule suggestion but it helps to have some stats on your teams without making them too strong:

- No Season Redraft;
- random MVP;
- Hard TV cap: that means that your League Commissioner decides the TV cap. It could be something between 1500-2000 TV (it's up to how much you want to let teams grow).
If a team after a match has a TV higher than the TV cap some players must be fired in order to adjust it to the TV cap or lower;
- max +1 stat per each characteristic. Max MA 9. This should keep the stat freaks reasonably in check;
- Optionally, if you want to keep the stat freaks furthermore in check, you could decrease the level ups/skill slots to 5 or 4.

This way no matter how long the league lasts, teams and stat freaks will not become too strong.

If you want a better MVP system than just random MVP, this is my idea, the interesting part is it helps the team to develop more "organically" and more realistically too (thus helping Vampires, Lizardmen, Chaos, Nurgle, Khorne), players who do something earn the MVPs, instead of totally random MVP, which is not realistic:

- D6 SPPs are awarded randomly to one player who gained 1 or more SPPs in the match. After the D6 SPPs have been assigned, every non-Legend player earns 1 SPP.
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2021 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
+PA on 10? 11?

Official rules have Pa as more likely to come up than Ag but less so than Ma or AV.

If you use 2016 style skill rolls with 2020 rules on Fummbl, Pa+ is mapped to 11
 Jump to: