85 coaches online • Server time: 20:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Streaming live your match on TwitchTV personal channel....
Hey! Wait ! My opponent should ask mine consent!
30%
 30%  [ 45 ]
Yes! I want to be an Internet Movie MegaStar! And pay me royalties!
13%
 13%  [ 20 ]
GASP! Shocked! I will leave FUMBBL and internet and I will recover in an old Monastery
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
TwitchTV? what is TV? What is Internet? I know only www.fumbbl.com
7%
 7%  [ 11 ]
I think it can be done or not, it does not hurt me at all...
38%
 38%  [ 58 ]
Will trow a pie in face of .... (you chose the coach-name ;-) !!!
7%
 7%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 149

HaruHaru

Post   Posted: May 29, 2023 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

RDaneel, I would advise you to just forget about it at this point.

Yes, the BB2/3 streamer crowd that's coming back to fumbbl because of the BBT (and because BB3 is a shitshow) is a rather rude bunch it seems like. There seems to be a gap in player culture really.

*I do want to say that I was being a little bit unfair here, with a sample size of 2 so it's not right to say that they're all rude.*

I watched the VOD, timing you out like that was rude. You were essentially done with the turn, why not let you move the last two guys?
The problem with having arguments against twitch streamers is that you're really not having an argument with the streamer, you're arguing against them and their viewers.

Jan-Erik wrote:
I think it's a great thing if people are shamed over having embarrassing meltdowns in the chat. It's not the fault of the player exposing your behavior but it's your own behavior that is at fault.

Why can't people just be nice and that can be the norm?

Last edited by HaruHaru on %b %29, %2023 - %21:%May; edited 1 time in total
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 29, 2023 - 12:03 Reply with quote Back to top

RDaneel wrote:

And for sure my future matches which I will play on FUMBBL could be much more silent or cautious than today ... that's clear

Everything is training, use the experiences you make wisely.
I don't like total silent chat either but some people don't like to chat, it's a matter of different characters. Some are not native English speakers and they don't chat due to that (so, no chat doesn't necessarily mean unpolite person) or just don't feel confident writing in English. Other people simply want to focus on the game, without any chat at all, they are only interested in playing the game, not in a social gaming interaction. Other people could not use the chat because not displayed by the client. Silent chat is not against site rules.
In my humble opinion writing: "Hi, gl, hf, gg, thanks for the game, cya" is a minimum standard, just to start and finish the interaction, unless there are reasons to be silent due to past incidents.
Just don't take the silent chat too personally, there could be different reasons why people don't chat.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %29, %2023 - %21:%May; edited 1 time in total
HaruHaru

Post   Posted: May 29, 2023 - 12:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Well said Dakka.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: May 29, 2023 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Apologies in advance for snipping the post:

HaruHaru wrote:
There seems to be a gap in player culture really.

But this is the crux of the matter really (and it's relevant to the timeout too, but I won't really touch that).

FUMBBL is a lot of things to a lot of people.

For some people it is the direct equivalent of a tabletop match, with all the conversation, joviality, cheering and jeering associated with that. Discussion of the game at hand is encouraged and enjoyed.

For others it's a simulation of the tabletop game where they may very well engage fully in some of the above but perhaps not all of it.

For others again it's a computer game. There's the acceptance that FUMBBL is trying to replicate the game being played on the board, but that is where things end. Any expected social discourse is exactly the same as demanded by any computer game - minimal.

Within all these potentials (and there's obviously more, everyone may fall along somewhere on that spectrum or even completely outside of it eg. not knowing the game is based on a boardgame is unlikely, but possible), you also have the question of just why you're playing the game.

Because within the confines of the gamespace you find people who play:
(a) Competitively (purely for the win)
(b) Developmentally (purely for team development)
(c) Purely for fun/the experience of playing
(d) a mix of A and B
(e) a mix of B and C
(f) a mix of A and C
(g) a mix of A, B and C

Within the realms of many other possibilities. These are just some common and obvious ones that spring to mind.
Whenever you get an extreme variant (ie Pure A, B or C) vs another extreme variant, you are going to have a game that is tending towards unsatisfactory for one or both players. Games between mixed variants of mentality may be satisfactory or unsatisfactory depending on the extremity of each variant.

And people's variance on where they stand in approach to the game changes on a match by match basis within leagues, tournaments, one off games etc.

And that idea of negative game experience extends also just to games between people who are basing things upon simulation of a TT game or a computer game or direct equivalent. The expectation of social niceties and the surrounding culture of that gaming mindset varies wildly. Chatter that is supposed to be shared humour can be completely jarring or insulting, exacting game rulings to the letter likewise. Expectation of solidarity can feel both imposing and cozening, but a lack of social niceties feels cold and desolate.

League has a solution to this in that you can simply find a group of like-minded people, address any issues with a set of agreeable rules and just get on with things. And of course now a league can simply make their own rules regarding streaming for those within the league or that wish to play in it in the future.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2023 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

That's all pretty fair.

It does feel like all coaches saying a simple hello, streamers mentioning that they are streaming (note: not asking for permission) and everyone behaving like there a normal human on the other side of the screen would go a long way.
RDaneel

Post   Posted: May 29, 2023 - 13:45 Reply with quote Back to top

(I will not quote piece by piece all because I would like to make a general comment).

I do not dispute that there are different people in the world and the world is beautiful because it is diverse. But for example I feel ashamed of that match because I "prejudiced" that coach through a series of my own misjudgments due to the fact that I was completely unaware that the match could have been streamed on TwitchTV.

I interpreted the absence of an HF GL at the start and the timeout without a warning as me standing there in front of the screen and playing mercilessly like a machine.

Then watching the stream afterwards I realized that the guy is actually nice. In sum he wasn't mad at me, he simply took a timeout laughing and joking with his friends "ding dong! It's timeout time folks!" and well... let's not go back over the timeout thing but that added to the fact that I played 50 minutes with a rubber wall blew me away.

In addition in the chat (which I thought was private between me and him because there were no viewers on that Fumbbl channel at that time of the game) I wrote things that were completely off.
Hence the shame for having made yet another boomer figure

At the end whatever type of A,B,C,D, person you are it's also true that a bit of mutual understanding, a bit of politeness because on the other side there is an human being (a greeting at the start of the match... what does it cost?) and a bit of humanity would not hurt (and thanks you HaruHaru for what you have written before, agree also with MattDakka and C0ddlefish about mantain a minimum of politeness).

In the end I have chosen to play BB on Fumbbl as it seems to me little bit more familiar, like a not too big not too small community of "friends" and maybe that's my problem (another pre-judgment) but for sure here there is someone who moderate the forum, fix the rules... so it is not the "jungle of the web" , you cannot use whatever language you could on the deep wide web without any control (not sure if TwitchTV can be moderated as it is realtime)

I know there are leagues to play friendly, it's true. But I also like to play competitively, but even if one plays competitively this does not take away from the fact that one has to maintain a certain kindness. Even two tennismen who ate each other during the Wimbledon final shake their hands at the start and at the end. Competitive do not mean for me to play like a machine against a machine... well.. some exception... anyway . IMHO of course.

That's the reason I like play on FUMBBL and I don't play on other platforms btw (I did not search to be honest as s.o. told me BB3 is a real bugs' playground Very Happy) because what i like more of FUMBBL is the social community aspect (but I know some don't care about it. Fine . message understood)

for me this ends here, as HaruHaru suggested I will try to forget my pathetic show, it will become a bit of a Fumbbl joke (I hope) I don't want it to sound like an attack against the streamer, I understood that Streaming is Good, Streaming is Nice, Streaming is the futurue, and Streaming cannot be criticized too much here, Wink and Streaming is needed for FUMBBL so long life to FUMBBL and long life Streaming!
I just wanted to share a bad figure to make it clear - sometimes - how streaming without any control can lead to unpleasant events.

And to the streamer: anyway, say hello to your opponent at the beginning cost nothing: because if you can play FUMBBL it's because someone provides you with a client, a community of people to play with and not every FUMMBL user comes from BB2/BB3 and the stay here because they feel at home. Wink

Last edited by RDaneel on %b %29, %2023 - %13:%May; edited 2 times in total
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: May 29, 2023 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing: never assume your game is not being observed because there are no spectators listed - admin staff don't show up in the viewer numbers. And of course chat can be read after the fact now by the administrative staff as well.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2023 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
One thing: never assume your game is not being observed because there are no spectators listed - admin staff don't show up in the viewer numbers. And of course chat can be read after the fact now by the administrative staff as well.

I always assume that admin can watch everything. But admin usually watch to check if there are some rule violations and care about coach privacy (If i violate some rules they don't pillory me on the www, they block my account and ask a private chat). That's is understood... And that's the reason one should maintain a certain limit when he chat (also as a spectator I know I know... Wink )

So one thing is chatting in a channel where you , maybe an admin and 2-3 coach can watch, and another is discovering your chat can be broadcasted w/o your knowledge on www.... like this Movie "The Truman Show" Wink
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 29, 2023 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

RDaneel, you were unaware of the streaming in progress and you assumed some things that made you behave like you did. Evaluation mistakes happen, you didn't kill anybody.
If you got mocked for your reaction by viewers (I don't know, I didn't watch the stream), don't care about it too much, otherwise you will add a subjective value to an objectively low issue. Just try to split up the important things from the subjective things. Next time just assume that somebody could be silent maybe due to streaming the match or other reason (maybe ask them in game chat). Informing the opponent about streaming the game would not be bad, as writing some greetings, but if that doesn't happen, amen. Consider the things don't match your expectations as a price to pay to play online Blood Bowl. For sure you could have an optimal game experience if you could play in your local club with a group of close friends, but online you have to accept/not to care too much about the things you don't like, unless they explicitly break the site rules.

About your privacy: I think that an online game with spectators is already a public-enough thing for you to be wary not to disclose personal informations in game, be it streamed or just watched on FUMBBL.
Just don't write things related to you, your life, work, phone number, address, etc. and your privacy should be fine.

Whenever you play a game on FUMBBL you could check whether your game is being streamed by your opponent, but honestly this is time-consuming and not worth it, in my opinion. It's better to focus on the game without reading/listening to the comments of the viewers/streamer. You could get distracted and play slower, then you could get timed out and you could get angry. Being obsessed by the streaming/streamers/viewers seems to me a recipe for distraction and frustration.
You could watch the video after the game, but, in the end, what could be the gain for you? You could know that the streamer/viewers mocked you, but you couldn't do anything about it, so better just to ignore it. Better saving that time and doing something else.

To be safe: don't get me wrong, I don't want to look like a teacher/moralist. I really wanted to be constructive and friendly, as a coach to coach.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %29, %2023 - %20:%May; edited 19 times in total
RDaneel

Post   Posted: May 29, 2023 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

understood...
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: May 29, 2023 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:

Indeed, and this is exactly why I don't get why some streamers wouldn't tell their opponent they are streaming the match. Not asking for permission, because that would be a nonsense, but why not tell them?
Poglar

Post   Posted: May 29, 2023 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Because sadly that encourages certain types to watch the stream to gain an advantage, or to be an asshole in chat. There is no winning way for the streamer, they already have the disadvantage of streaming. No need to risk exaggerating that.
Jaskier

Post   Posted: May 29, 2023 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

when i stream i hide in game chat

i feel that streaming have much more disadvantages tham advantages, few times i was even ghosted by my fumbbl opponent on my stream xD
ramchop

Post   Posted: May 29, 2023 - 20:39
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

One thing I don't understand about streamers are the ones who don't engage with the fumbbl community at all. No forum posts, no discord chat, minimal in game chat - and these are people who love to talk?
I only know of them from PC's podcast, and the odd Major title.
Garcangel

Post   Posted: May 29, 2023 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Just subscribed to gdaynick
 Jump to: