39 coaches online • Server time: 14:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post DIBBL Awardsgoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2011 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no reason what so ever to increase the caps. File sizes are three times as large as they were a year or so ago. People are just lazy and find it far easier to ask Christer to change things instead of taking the time to make their images fit inside the existing limitations.

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2011 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

+1 for fouly. I never had problems with images, even with the 10kb limit size... Programs like GIMP and photoshop make it easy enough to shrink images with limited loss of quality.
Erod

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2011 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Wait what... Portrait limit is now 30 k? And here I was thinking how to squeeze some new ones to the old 10 k limit. Bliss!
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2011 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

It is even higher, but don't tell any one!
nin

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2011 - 00:40 Reply with quote Back to top

30 k... big news! I see a whole new world of pics
Tarabaralla

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2011 - 00:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I did spot all the 20 differences between the images, did i win something?
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2011 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
There is no reason what so ever to increase the caps.

Lets not get carried away Smile

To allow player portraits with the same quality as the default client portraits by knut_rockie/ryanfitz, the limit must be increased. I don't think there's away around that. If there is though, please school me.

Of course, we can instead talk graphical compromises to the files, but in the days where streaming at over 1000kb/second is industry standard, i doubt changing from 30kb to 45kb will leave many ripples (unless the issue is server space of course).

PS: Personally I think that the dithered gif version of the nurgle fly you posted, looks just terrible compared to the original png, but then again others dont even notice the difference.
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2011 - 05:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Yea, it seemed like a reasonable request, deserving of a reasonable answer. Being chastised by the forum moderators seems pretty sad. Well done. "Wasted Space" sounds a bit dramatic, but maybe the increased time for file transfers at the game initialization is a valid reason. If someone games from Kazakhstan.

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2011 - 05:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Murker with his classic 'target the mods'-post. You like to complain, don't you?

The limit was actually already raised when the gallery was upgraded. You can upload images up to 2MB , and afaik player image are limited to 100kb and logo images to 200kb to work properly. Far above what is needed for acceptable quality.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2011 - 05:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I doubt I would have started this thread if the player image max-size was 100kb Woodstock Smile

As it is now: if the file you try to add to a player is above 30kb you get a popup saying e.g. "Max player filesize is 30000 bytes. This image is 35899 bytes."

I thought it was great when the limit was increased form 10kb. But since many png at 95x147 pixels weigh in between 35kb and 45kb, I was puzzled just as to why 30kb.

@Murker: the admins have so much slag coming their way, so its ok if they hand some of it back Smile
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2011 - 06:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Must be my admin powers then, I never had issues uploading and assigning stuff.
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2011 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I'm with balle2000 on the nurgle logo, much better with the bigger file size. Surprised

But of course that's a brutal downsizing, maybe better results can be made and still keep it under 30k.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2011 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:

Never had an issue since the change either. I'm an admin now? Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2011 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:
Yea, it seemed like a reasonable request, deserving of a reasonable answer. Being chastised by the forum moderators seems pretty sad. Well done. "Wasted Space" sounds a bit dramatic, but maybe the increased time for file transfers at the game initialization is a valid reason. If someone games from Kazakhstan.

Not Kazakhstan, but it feels damn close at times.

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2011 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
Woodstock wrote:

Never had an issue since the change either. I'm an admin now? Very Happy

I was actually being sarcastic.. but I forgot the Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Look, I agree that with a higher limit, you can upload better images. But the difference is minimal, and this is not some fancy art gallery site.
 Jump to: