56 coaches online • Server time: 20:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2013 - 11:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Urghhhh this all so dumb.

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2013 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

VDM wrote:
"..fair systems create greater general satisfaction levels... also that they create panic and anger in people who were benefiting from unfair advantages in previous systems"

I think that concept is a key factor in the resistance to changing the current box enviroment. It is currently a place that a host of Chaos lovers (of all skill levels) seem content to bash out the brains of an opponent, often securing a rather easy victory, regardless of opponent skill level.

It is also still an enviroment where elves an skaven can excel, despite the bashings, just at perpetually low TV levels, due to said mindless bashings. The current ruleset is not condusive to supporting high TV 'elves' for any period of time. (MB/PO) All other rosters tend to be forgotton.

My reason for posting here WAS going to be to point out that the road to most 'GOOD' real world systems involve not only stats, data, interpretation, and proposals, but ACTION, then observation, and most importantly, a vast amount of trial and error. The requirement to get something right the first time really only applies to space flight. Perhaps brain surgery.

A major subway system has decades to evolve into a very efficient system. And hundreds of people will continually call it a stupid system, run by stupid management, despite the fact it gets millions of passangers where they need to go. Happy passangers. (all with their own little ideas of how to improve it)

FUMBBL has a 'working' Black Box system. Under the current ruleset containing 20+ rosters, the CPOMB combo means that the popular and much coveted AUTOMATIC PAIRING SYSTEM caters really only to the chaos bash rosters and their coaches. A LOT of non-chaos coaches are jealous of the auto scheduler, but hate the continual low TV grind.

My feel is that many coaches are at a point where they would be willing to accept ANY attempt at change. Currently, creating a pairing algorithm is HARD. (Only Christer can, and he dosn't want to) Rule changes already available in the client are EASY.

My main submission to the wild thread is that no matter what change is debated upon in the forum, analysed and 'agreed' upon by admin, if it were to be accepted by Christer and trialed in Black Box, it would get games. I don't think people would leave. I suspect traffic would increase. The attraction of the auto pairing for Box is that strong.

I personally volunteer to translate any experimental HOUSE Rules in force in the Black Box division into easy to understand French, Italian, Spanish, and Russian. Missing any languages? You shouldn't even be able to make a new Black Box team unless you acknowledge with a click you have read the rules in place. (and the cut-throat nature of the Box division)

If FUMBBL were to use the power of it's captive audience (auto scheduler lovers) combined with trial and error, it could have a superiour rule-set in less that 2 years, and increased traffic. Opinion, not fact, obviously. I would also personally donate hundreds of dollars towards such a cause, as I LOVE FUMBBL, love the concept of an AUTO scheduler, but hate CLAWPOMB and the current scheduling formula. I suspect many others (nowhere near all) would spend more time and donate more money if FUMBBL had something unique, proven, and beautiful.

But now I just wonder if you could nerf Claw and PO and not have elves totally dominate the box.

Hugs.

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2013 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:

+1

With one draw in four (or two) both Progressives and Officialites would have something.

Of course people would still moan about which changes were implemented and moan for more changes. Wink

Ranked division can still rumble on with the official rules.

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2013 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

So what you're saying Murker is you want a set of BB rules to reflect YOUR playstyle and preferences. Ridiculous.

Thank Nuffle that the odds of your suggestions happening are longer than me winning a major here Smile

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2013 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I love Frank's idea.

I'd love to hear ideas here on how it could be 'gamed.'

The concept looks solid to me.

On the 'Less games scheduled is not an option' argument..

If the possibility DID exist to dig into the code and change how a Box team's TV was calculated, altering the scheduling to give MORE matches would be easy by comparison. You just broaden the TV splits accepted by the scheduler.

It's Christer's appitite to code new things (or try new things) that's in question.

Great system to debate though. I likey.

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2013 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Calcium"]So what you're saying Murker is you want a set of BB rules to reflect YOUR playstyle and preferences. Ridiculous.

Of course I want better rules. And if any changes refelcted MY playstyle, that would be even better. Check my record bud. I don't even have a clue what MY playstyle is. It's SUCK, thats what it is. I should just spam clawpomb I guess.

I'm advocating change. Not my change. Any change.

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2013 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

So you are like a nerdy Russel Brand?

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2013 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Calcium wrote:
So what you're saying Murker is you want a set of BB rules to reflect YOUR playstyle and preferences. Ridiculous.

Thank Nuffle that the odds of your suggestions happening are longer than me winning a major here Smile

Are you seriously saying no to a buff to fouling? Wink

Are you seriously saying no to a buff to fouling EVER!? Shocked

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2013 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Heresy! I suddenly agreed with something pyttie posted. Where is mouse, so he can lock, delete and bury the thread somewere damp, dark and musty, so this never, ever happens again! It is a bit like seeing one of the elder races (Lovecraft) it turns you slightly insane.
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2013 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

If you are not slightly insane already then you shouldn't be here.

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2013 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Very tempted, but the OP would blame me personally for the next 5 years, and forum matters aren't really my jurisdiction anymore. I have a split button, but not a 'merge' button, if I did, I'd stick it with the other one.
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2013 - 13:11 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a job for Shadow.

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2013 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

My views are well known on this. I saw little wrong with LRB4 to be honest. I am continually amazed that the box hasn't died like it did in LRB4, mass clawPOMB is far more deadly than mass DP ever was Smile

Although ClawPOMB easily satisfies my BB bloodlust, I miss the days of LRB4 when I rocked mass DP on my humans/Khemri. At least everyone had the option of rocking mass DP Smile

As for all this talk about scheduling/MM/rules - I might do some digging in the forum for some old anti DP threads. I bet a £5 donation to FUMBBL that the same coaches crying about clawPOMB were crying about DP back in the day. They will always cry over a little spilled blood.

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2013 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Calcium wrote:
koadah wrote:

My views are well known on this. I saw little wrong with LRB4 to be honest. I am continually amazed that the box hasn't died like it did in LRB4, mass clawPOMB is far more deadly than mass DP ever was Smile

Although ClawPOMB easily satisfies my BB bloodlust, I miss the days of LRB4 when I rocked mass DP on my humans/Khemri. At least everyone had the option of rocking mass DP Smile

As for all this talk about scheduling/MM/rules - I might do some digging in the forum for some old anti DP threads. I bet a £5 donation to FUMBBL that the same coaches crying about clawPOMB were crying about DP back in the day. They will always cry over a little spilled blood.

DP was worse partly because it was so much easier to get. It was also easier to get a low TV.

I suspect that teams getting killed by CPOMBers is really less of a problem than coaches becoming sick of playing vs chaos/CDs/nurgle/pact teams who are trying to become nasty CPOMBers.

But it is a fair point. People obviously like being CPOMBers or at least POMBers more than they like to let on. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2013 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course people like being CPOMBers.
The stats don't lie.