63 coaches online • Server time: 22:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bluetooth

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2005 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir wrote:
Use notepad then.

Isn't the same. Why would I make an additional file when I really don't need to do one? Also, If I play from another computer, the information is always where it ought to be. Why make things difficult, if they can be easy?

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2005 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Ever considered that having public blacklist youre telling the other coach what he needs to do to get you off your tracks? How many times someone is losing the game thinks he might be getting win by forfeit if he starts to maul your best players with dirty players when he knows what it causes...
Funso

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2005 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Absolutely nothing wrong with a public blacklist.

I don't keep one, but I defend everyone else's right to have one. As far as I am concerned, it is no-one else business what Peikko does, or what bluetooth does, or what Wuhan does. If they want to foul, fine. If they want to keep blacklists, fine. If they want to keep mice and have little battles between their little mouse collections, then call the winning mouse the Head Mouse!, that's all none of my business.

Noone is forcing anyone to read someone else's blacklist. Are they?

And a final point is that there are those who are plain bad eggs. People who challenge you to a game with a team, and when you get to the game client, the challenger has now gone and hired MorgNThrog. These people are dispicable, and tend to pick on newbies. I won't name them, but if someone else wants to, and attempt to save newbies from these cheats that Fummbl haven't done enough to penalise, then that's fine too.

I won't make a public blacklist, but I don't think that those who do are wrong to do so. They have the right to create it, and you have the right to ignore it or don't read it.
Cortelll

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2005 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

A blacklist in a profile is just somebody's point of view over a person. If I added all of you in that list and made out a bunch of BS about all of you somebody will read it and think that all of you are a bunch of bad losers, but then it is just what my profile says. So, if you want to add stuff about players that you do know wish to play in your profile instead of writing it in a piece of paper, good for you, way to save some trees.

Vamps Group
Azurus

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2005 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't mind blacklists, I rarely take notice of them anyway. I've seen too many comments in chat about coach A putting coach B on a blacklist simply because coach B is better/luckier than coach A (they actually do it, too).

I'd never put somebody on a blacklist as a result of their style of play (or because of my own point of view on them). As long as they're playing within the rules, I feel I have no right to slight them in this way.

I have a single coach on my DNP list: the one and only coach who (unrepentantly) dropped a game on me because he was losing (both the game and players). Since this is against the rules, he fully deserves to be on the list. Even so, if I play him again and he turns out to be alright, he'll be taken off the list.

EDIT: Actually, I just checked, and said coach has either been banned or has simply stopped playing: so no more DNP list for me! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2005 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have a blacklist *or* a whitelist because in my 20 or so months of playing BBL on fumbbl, I've played maybe 8 people more than once, and half of them were friends I know in Real Life.

Sure, I've played against some people that I wish I hadn't, and I've yelled every name under the sun at the screen on occasions, but naming and shaming (a) isn't going to stop people playing in a way I dislike, and (b) I'll still sometimes get games against tossers no matter what.
Tor_AlKir

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2005 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

If someone wants to get creative...create a Blacklist League...only coaches that have been blacklisted by someone else, in public, can apply. What a gas that would be. A bunch of pisser-offers pissing each other off.
Azurus

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2005 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Tor_AlKir wrote:
If someone wants to get creative...create a Blacklist League...only coaches that have been blacklisted by someone else, in public, can apply. What a gas that would be. A bunch of pisser-offers pissing each other off.

lol, maybe the admins could use that as a kind of 'not quite a ban' level of punishment. Create a new div (divB for Blacklist), then move all teams of a repeat-offending coach into that division, and let them play each other for a while. Surely that would make people mend their ways pretty quick. Very Happy

And after said admin thinks they've suffered enough (if ever), let them start making teams in the other divisions again.

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2005 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I think I had a DNP list (mostly of people who abandoned games when a key player was killed, or they started losing badly) once, but I kept it in a Word file on my PC rather than in my coach bio.
Technically speaking, a blacklist in one's coach page may or may not be against Fumbbl rules, depending on the way the blacklist is worded (since it is specifically considered NOT a personal attack to discuss coaching style). For example:

"Coach YYYY - is a jerk who just wants to kill your team and ruin the fun for everyone." I don't think this sort of listing ought to be allowed, it is clearly a personal attack (calling them a jerk) above and beyond any critique of their playstyle, and therefore is against Fumbbl rules.

"Coach XXXX - fouls several times per game, including often on turn 16. Stalls incessantly." This would be 'legal' enough I suppose, since it is simply an objective note of how a certain coach plays.

"Coach ZZZZ" I'm still thinking about this one. On the one hand, just listing a name isn't exactly a personal attack, but the fact that you are listing it in a place that implies they are doing 'bad things' (from fouling to flagrant cheating) without actually offering any statement or proof of said 'bad things' makes it rather like an accusation...

Of course, I would consider it in rather poor taste to list this in any public area, as no matter what justification one would tout of why it needs to be listed in such a place, it IS ultimately meant as a slap in the face, or one would find a way to list it privately (like using a notepad or Word file, or even your buddylist as a blacklist - which actually would be far more effective as it shows if they are online and is always right in front of you, unlike constantly having to refer to a coach page). Keep it in an attachment to a PM even, that would keep it loaded onto Fumbbl.

The other issue with a blacklist, even an objective one listing only coaching style, is that in many cases it is wildly innacurate, or at least incomplete. For example, you play my chaos or halfling team chances are I'm going to do my best to mash and foul you into oblivion. Play my wood elves and you may not see a cas all game. So you play my halflings with your humans, and take 3 niggles from fouls. All p*ssed off, you add me to your blacklist. Three weeks later, I ask you for an elf vs elf game, and consulting your blacklist you see my name. You tell me to buzz off - and have just gypped yourself out of what would have been a fun and non-violent game of elfball! Go you!

Also, don't fail to consider what Peikko said: you may be marking yourself with a public blacklist. Somebody sees their buddy on your list, so they ask you for a nice friendly game. You agree, and get fouled 17 times (one kickoff rolls was Injury Time - well, maybe). You angrily add another name to your blacklist, blissfully unaware that it was your blacklist that landed you that beating in the first place (unless the opposing coach happens to clue you in, for that extra bit of satisfaction). Go you!

All that being said, I suppose it is everybody's right to keep track of any coaches they don't want to bother with playing again. If you so choose to keep an clean, objective list of coaches you don't wish to play again in your coach bio (without dipping into name calling or other abusive behavior) then enjoy your blacklist! Personally, I have no trouble remembering the names of coaches I'd rather not play against, as the list is short and the abuses (or whatever) are big. Just remember to keep away from the 'he's a jerk!' brand of argument, or someday the admins probably will step in and ban them...
Funso

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2005 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I value these lists though.

Bluetooth's list has allowed me to add his blacklisted opponents to my private list of bad opponents. Which means I am less likely to play someone who cheats/disconnects.

Let's face it. You don't get added to someone's blacklist unless you deserve to have games turned down.
origami

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2005 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Does anybody here regularly look at other players blacklists that are stored on their coach info pages? Has anybody ever turned down a match because of somebody else's blacklist? It really seems like a non-issue.
Funso

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2005 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Sure I have. I think alot of us do, otherwise why bother having bio pages, etc, if you don;t read them?

Seriously, if you are on someone elses blacklist, you are in some way a bad egg. And I don't have time to play those sorts of people.
Mezir

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2005 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Funso wrote:
Let's face it. You don't get added to someone's blacklist unless you deserve to have games turned down.

Depends on how reliable the person blacklisting is. Or what their personal tastes are. Or if they had a row with a certain user and blacklisted him for that instead. Or whatever.

Plenty of ways to get on a blacklist without "deserving" it.

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2005 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I just think you should know that everyone who posted in this thread is on my blacklist.

(I never thought to keep one..but now that it seems I should have some arbitrary way to influence others to discriminate against certain coaches with no real facts to base an opinion, I thought this an easy way to begin.)

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2005 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoy this forum topic. Not because I have or condone blacklists, its because I can click everyones name beside what they have written and check who they have black listed. I wonder if I have been put on a black list? Be kinda neat if I was. Black lists are for forgetful people, who can't remember who they don't like to play. For shame. Wink

Jeffro
 Jump to: