46 coaches online • Server time: 10:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Secret League zombie...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Hourly box activations?
Permantly change box to hourly activations
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Permantly change box to 30mins peak, hourly offpeak
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Trial change box to hourly activations
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Trial change box to 30mins peak, hourly offpeak
24%
 24%  [ 25 ]
Change nothing
64%
 64%  [ 66 ]
Total Votes : 102

The_Murker

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I BREAK, BUT I DO NOT BEND

I'm not the type to play the ARR!!
I'd rather play my black guitar
I play the only way that's pure
I play most pure, and I'll endure

My CR is earned, has meaning
Yours is false, towards mine, demeaning
My teams are many, solid, varied
Your are few, ill-gained, most carried

Will you not acknowlege my pure ranking?
See how I give box noobs spankings
As you pick and choose, I wait
For those poor souls who activate

Small men with claws, and mass destruction
Are not the baddest Box construction
I am the champion of that land
And some respect I must demand

And end to Ranked is only right
So all must face my guile and might
There should be no sillyness or ARR!!
Only me, and a black guitar.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:

Btw koadah, I assume you and licker don't see R as some perfect BB utopia either, otherwise you'd be playing there once in a while, eh? Wink

There are a lot of things that I don't do. That doesn't mean that they should be abolished though. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
No.

If you value winning over FUN you should not be playing Bloodbowl at all. You should be playing poker.

When winning becomes more important than FUN, it stops being a Bloodbowl game.

Maybe we should tell that to all the gf-campers, then? You know, the ones who sit on the gf for over an hour until that perfect cherry comes along?

Also, no-one will mind then if we take away CR from Ranked, given that fun is more important than winning (and it's completely meaningless anyway).

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:
I BREAK, BUT I DO NOT BEND

I'm not the type to play the ARR!!
I'd rather play my black guitar
I play the only way that's pure
I play most pure, and I'll endure

My CR is earned, has meaning
Yours is false, towards mine, demeaning
My teams are many, solid, varied
Your are few, ill-gained, most carried

Will you not acknowlege my pure ranking?
See how I give box noobs spankings
As you pick and choose, I wait
For those poor souls who activate

Small men with claws, and mass destruction
Are not the baddest Box construction
I am the champion of that land
And some respect I must demand

And end to Ranked is only right
So all must face my guile and might
There should be no sillyness or ARR!!
Only me, and a black guitar.

Laughing Love it.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
Box is by far the easiest way to get a game ..

This is very much untrue outside of the Euro peak hours.

JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Bottom line for me:

Ranked is not a competitive division (even though that's exactly what it claims to be). At best, it's an awkward blend of casual and competitive, where many people like to pretend they're playing competitively and buff up a meaningless metric to feel better about themselves.

Imo, the site would benefit from a clearer separation between casual/competitive, or at least by making the potential 'rewards' scale better with the level of competitiveness in each division.

If Box dies, it will be a big loss to the site, as the more hardcore crowd will no longer be catered for. I, for one, would probably play exclusively in L (which would be the only truly competitive division left, imo).

PainState

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2017 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to point out that Box has died once and was resurrected under CRP. CRP though was a poison that once again almost killed off the box, it is still sitting in the ICU on life support.

Lets just be honest with our selves around here.

Box is only still alive because of a small minority of coaches who keep it alive.

IF

Billbrasky went away for 6 months the Box stats would crater into the ground..

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2017 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
Bottom line for me:

Ranked is not a competitive division (even though that's exactly what it claims to be).

Oh MY!!!

LOL

WOWZA!!!!

Surprised Smile Very Happy Shocked

are you stating or implying the Blood Sea Buccaneers are not a competitive team inside Ranked?

Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

E.L.F meta group is a joke and not competitive at all and just a bunch of elf ballers who are throwing camo over themselves to feign being really tough and competitive teams?

Question

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2017 - 00:52 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:

Btw koadah, I assume you and licker don't see R as some perfect BB utopia either, otherwise you'd be playing there once in a while, eh? Wink

IF BB utopia is not found on FUMBBL or Cyanide then both those clients are dead because who in their right mind would not play BB utopia on another site?

It is Utopia, dammit, I want utopia not some client/site that is just good.

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2017 - 03:32 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
are you stating or implying the Blood Sea Buccaneers are not a competitive team inside Ranked?

I said the division is not competitive. I didn't say that every single coach and team is uncompetitive. Sure, there are a few honest teams in there, trying to be competitive. But, there are enough people that aren't playing competitively that it drags down the overall competitiveness of the division. The playing environment is not competitive.

I can put on a clown suit and jump into a shark tank, but it doesn't change the fundamental nature of the environment.

PainState wrote:
E.L.F meta group is a joke and not competitive at all and just a bunch of elf ballers who are throwing camo over themselves to feign being really tough and competitive teams?

Funny you mention the ELF. Clearly you don't take part (or haven't done so for a long time), otherwise you might think twice about using them as an example of competitiveness ... Wink

koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2017 - 03:37 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
Bottom line for me:

Ranked is not a competitive division (even though that's exactly what it claims to be). At best, it's an awkward blend of casual and competitive, where many people like to pretend they're playing competitively and buff up a meaningless metric to feel better about themselves.

Imo, the site would benefit from a clearer separation between casual/competitive, or at least by making the potential 'rewards' scale better with the level of competitiveness in each division.

If Box dies, it will be a big loss to the site, as the more hardcore crowd will no longer be catered for. I, for one, would probably play exclusively in L (which would be the only truly competitive division left, imo).

How about you try actually promoting the Box instead of just whining about Ranked.

Create something. Promote the Sprints if you are not afraid they'll promote evil mono-activating. Twisted Evil
What happened to the Black Box Belts? Promote the grid fillers. Promote E.L.F.

Quit whining about Ranked and create a buzz about the division.

If Ranked and Box both die and you all have to play Secret League, well, that is good too. Mr. Green

Keep it Secret. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2017 - 03:41 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:

We might not be able to make it a utopia, but it's a shame there always seems to be such a lack of any collective desire on FUMBBL to try to make it better. Or even at least to honestly acknowledge the problems that exist.

koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2017 - 04:05 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
PainState wrote:

We might not be able to make it a utopia, but it's a shame there always seems to be such a lack of any collective desire on FUMBBL to try to make it better. Or even at least to honestly acknowledge the problems that exist.

People just don't agree with you as to what the problems are.

Everyone wants "fixes". And they are all different. If not conflicting.

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2017 - 04:06 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
Arktoris wrote:
No.

If you value winning over FUN you should not be playing Bloodbowl at all. You should be playing poker.

When winning becomes more important than FUN, it stops being a Bloodbowl game.

Maybe we should tell that to all the gf-campers, then? You know, the ones who sit on the gf for over an hour until that perfect cherry comes along?

Also, no-one will mind then if we take away CR from Ranked, given that fun is more important than winning (and it's completely meaningless anyway).

Ranked is the premier successful division on fumbbl. No need to modify. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

also learn the difference between a top priority, and a sole priority and you'll see what's wrong with your proposal without needing someone like me to point it out to you.

Can you now find the flaw in your logic?

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2017 - 05:01 Reply with quote Back to top

You like Ranked the way it is and see no reason to change it. Ok, fair enough, I get that.

You're a casual, fluff-loving coach that isn't too hung up about winning. But, not everyone thinks like that. There is a contingent of players who take their Blood Bowl seriously and want to play it competitively. I admit that I'm one of them and for me, part of the fun is in working to improve my game, competing for rankings/prizes and the challenge of testing myself against the best BB players in the world. That's just what floats my boat. I don't think either of us is right or wrong, just we have a different approach to the game.

The issue I see though is when a less competitive division like Ranked has basically equal rewards to the fully hardcore, competitive division. That undermines the division that is trying to be more competitive. Let's look at tennis as an analogy:

Some people play tennis for fun; however, there are some who choose to take it very seriously indeed and even turn it into their career, devoting their whole lives to tennis. Sure, you can say to them that if they value winning over having fun then they shouldn't even be playing it. Those silly people, playing a silly game with a ball as if winning it is the only thing that matters in the whole world ... and all those people who pay hundreds of dollars to watch them are even sillier! Anyway, imagine that the pro tennis federation suddenly turns round and says they will start giving out grand slam trophies and prize money to people who beat any 10 people of their own choosing down at their local amateur club. In that case, who is going to bother making the effort to train and improve their game, when they can get the same rewards anyway just by beating a bunch of newbies down their local club? In that scenario, the pro tennis scene would collapse pretty quickly.

Basically, if you want to sustain a competitive scene, the reward has to be greater than what you would get by playing casually. You and PainState don't care, because you're not interested in competitive play. Fair enough, that's your choice. But, there are people out there who do want hardcore, competitive play, and what's wrong with that? Who's to say they are wrong to do it that way? Shouldn't FUMBBL be trying to cater for all sorts?

Jump to: