24 coaches online • Server time: 05:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Cindy Piewhistle
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:
i like Vesikannu's better

The irc server and the 145 are worth mentioning

naaa they will be in the FAQ.

IRC is a big turn off to new comers, it is tricky to get started mainly because the sites IRC instructions are all out of date mind. Also most newcomers will not understand what IRC is, its jargon.

also IRC is not needed as much anymore because of black box and fish bowl.

Again 145 is good but that can be mentioned in the FAQ. I'm still not actually convinced that 145 is a turn on to new comers, most new comers just want to get a few games in, getting started in leagues and stuff is very confusing the first time you go about it.

To me 145 is something people try out once they have got to grips with the site and realise they suck. And again 145 club is more site jargon, it makes sense to you because you have been here for ever but to a newbie they think what the hell is 145 club???

It needs to be short and sweet and not full of things that only people that have been here a while will understand. Jargon is very bad for newcomers.

My main job is writing user guides for a telecoms company. Its mainly all I do lol :S it very boring tbh Wink

but it must be short and sweet or they will just give up, or they will end up confused.
Vesikannu

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually didn't have the 145 bit in my first draft, and it's mentioned in the quick start guide too, so it might be unnecessary.

However, isn't IRC fairly well known? I think it would be worth mentioning since it's pretty useful in getting to be a part of the site.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

not in an introduction email imo. It just needs to be short sweet and to the point, something to encourage a user. As said it will contain a link to the FAQ which will have all that info anyway, so no point bogging it down imo, especially with something that may confuse some people. Acronyms and Jargon are a big no no, in noob guides.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't get all the fuss with IRC. The chatroom is 1 click away and it autoconnects with your fumbbl username.

Instead of IRC say "fumbbl chat", and problem solved for those who don't know what IRC means.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember when I joined.
I didn't play for a year and a half because I literally had no idea what fumbbl was, how I could play, what IRC was etc.
Eventually I met someone IRL who showed me how it worked.
I think it's a hell of a lot better than that now but stuff like IRC is very off-putting for non mega geeks.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Y U no mention the free cookies?

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
I remember when I joined.
I didn't play for a year and a half because I literally had no idea what fumbbl was, how I could play, what IRC was etc.
Eventually I met someone IRL who showed me how it worked.

Dammit. Who were they, so we can hunt them down and killz them! Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion's is good, and rests on the FAQ being clear and relevant.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I think mentioning IRC is a good idea. Also knowing all the things that noobs have trouble with, I think you need links to the things I mentioned, how blackbox and the new gamefinder works are vital.

Still there isn't much point in this, until you have the go ahead from Christer.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah true, about christer I mean, but i really think there is no point adding those things to the email if you are giving them a link to the FAQ section which will explain all these things properly. It will just confuse people without a detailed explanation, and once you start making the initial email detailed people stop reading it. Though mentioning fumbbl chat or something would be an idea. but no more than that in the email.

Last edited by Garion on %b %31, %2012 - %21:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
Whitmire

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Vesikannu wrote:
Here's my take. I've tried to keep it reasonably short while providing the necessary information.

Welcome to FUMMBL.

FUMBBL is a site dedicated to playing and discussing the game Blood Bowl, whether you're a veteran or a total newcomer. The site is free, all you need is Java installed on your PC.

If you want to jump straight into the fray, the Quick Start Guide has instructions on creating a team and finding a game.

If you are new to the game, the 145 Club offers a good place to start playing in a more relaxed environment.

If you want to get involved in the community, FUMBBL has an irc server and on-site forums, which can be found through the navigation bar.

More information about the site can be found in the help section, including a tutorial to using the client and a FAQ section.

There are a lot of experienced coaches on here, so you may not get an instant winning streak when you start but learn from them when you can. This is a fantastic game, good luck!

I like this. The only thing I'd add is a note mentioning the fact that you don't even need to have IRC installed. That was a big put-off for me. I have used mIRC in the past (way in the past), but I was not going to install it "for some game". I was very pleasantly surprised that I could just use the Java-Java hot n' sweet.

Also a link to installing Java so you can just clickety-click your way to all the goodness.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Vesikannu's is pretty good as it includes relevant info - start guide, 145, irc (and forum) and client guide.
Though I think it should include rules like Garion's or at least mention of it like mine (and java chat).
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Definitely call IRC 'the chat rooms'. I figured it out, and I can't do basic html stuff, so the instructions must have been ok. I also only set it up once, and it somehow still works.

Something in the welcome letter should reference how awesome I am, though, and possibly advise against starting with certain 'unusual' teams.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I'm only going to say this once, more but you do not want to talk about 145 club in the welcome email, its more stuff they just wont understand. Also league is really confusing, the first time I wanted to join a league I had no idea at all what i was doing or how to do this.

Anyway, thankfully I don't think this is going to happen anyway as christer has not given it his stamp of approval. But if he does, I strongly suggest you go with what I said. Or you will just end up confusing people.

As I said earlier, we all know what 145 club is and irc, a noob will have no idea at all what you are talking about.

best to keep it simple, straight forward, a link to the rules, site rules and the faq page, (which isn't made but will explain what these things are properly).
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm one of 145s biggest fans, however I tend to agree. League is something to look at once you have the basics of getting into a game worked out.
 Jump to: