17 coaches online • Server time: 05:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Cindy Piewhistle
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Rabid_Bogscum

Post   Posted: May 25, 2007 - 05:31 Reply with quote Back to top

whats the timeframe for games?

Proud Member of the SWL
Quod

Post   Posted: May 25, 2007 - 05:34 Reply with quote Back to top

That sounds interesting, breaking the "conference" gap down a bit, putting an extra level of tournaments in.
How many would we support with that.. 1 Premier, 2@200, 3@165, 4@132 etc? that would be 10 groups, too many I would thinking.
I think that an extra standard conference would be a bit better than that.

Sure it can be hard for teams to come in against culled teams sitting at 150, but it can be done, and is part of the challenge involved in being a part of SWL.

Post   Posted: May 25, 2007 - 05:38 Reply with quote Back to top

We've actually been there and had a similar structure before. There are pros and cons to both sides.

A long pyramid can take forever to climb. Also, bbowl is at its most competitive and interesting in the 175-225TR range. Thats actually the primary reason we have gravitated towards such a big conference group rather than a long ladder. Yeah, reggies can be a bit of a struggle, but the way it is, everyeone should be able to make it to confs if they perservere.
gregory_n_white

Post   Posted: May 25, 2007 - 05:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Quod wrote:
1 Premier, 2@200, 3@165, 4@132 etc? that would be 10 groups, too many I would thinking.

Doesnt need to be 10 groups. Could be 1 group at each level which still accomodates a good number of teams (32 to 40 teams depending on the number in each, with 3 promoted/relegated from each):
1 Premier, 1@200, 1@165, 1@132
Snorri

Post   Posted: May 25, 2007 - 05:47 Reply with quote Back to top

The other significant con to just one group in each level is the inability to juggle killer divs.
Patrician

Post   Posted: May 25, 2007 - 06:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Gents, I'm presuming 2 weeks for games in the SWl Fringe RSL league, namely because what with SWL and DSL, some players might need time to schedule in the extra games.

As for the SWL structure, there's going to be Cons and Pros for every structure. Is it really going to get in the way of the fun of the game? If everyone has to go through the same structure then I don't see the problem.

And i know, I know OB. Patrician Draft = Vamps, no matter how much I grovel Smile
erikekers

Post   Posted: May 25, 2007 - 06:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Ladder style divisions with a small jump in TR each time could see teams that win their division and promote having to cull players to fit into the TR bracket.
Say a team is at 132TR in the bottom division plays 7 games and ends up 182TR then has to drop 17TR to fit into the division it just got promoted to. Seems a little silly to me.

I prefer the idea of the extra conference as it sees more teams playing at Snorris magical 175-222 TR range. Plus my Woodies seem to enjoy the confs Smile
gregory_n_white

Post   Posted: May 25, 2007 - 06:30 Reply with quote Back to top

2 weeks for RSL is good.

And good point Erikekers. I personally think 3 div is a good idea.
If it were my call I think i would have premier, 2 conf (with 2 promoted and 2 or 3 relegated from each) and then any number of regionals as dictated by the number of new teams.

Now, having said that I accept that teh SWL hed honchos have a lot more experience than I and will no doubt be aware of relevant pro's and cons.
gregory_n_white

Post   Posted: May 25, 2007 - 07:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Re the RSL - I have had another idea - with bad skill selections it will pay to take a team like dorfs - they are already skilled up. So how about either:
1. random race allocation
2.standard race (i.e. everyone plays humans, or everyone plays skaven etc), or
3. my preferred - a shortlist of teams to choose from (exclude amazon, norse, dwarf, chaos dwarf, maybe some others, i havent really
Toonie

Post   Posted: May 25, 2007 - 07:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Well there is plenty of options, have multi tiers like the swl, or single tiers like the English premier league.
You could also go off on a different route and have it set up like the NRL or even the NFL, with no promotion/relegation but with a salary cap, the teams that finish better have to cull a set ammount for where they finish (eg. 1st culls 25tr, 2nd 20tr, 3rd 15tr etc.) This way the top teams don't get too far away from the lower ones who don't have to cull at all.
The options of league set up is endless.

Post   Posted: May 25, 2007 - 07:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Re the RSL - I have had another idea - with bad skill selections it will pay to take a team like dorfs - they are already skilled up. So how about either:
1. random race allocation
2.standard race (i.e. everyone plays humans, or everyone plays skaven etc), or
3. my preferred - a shortlist of teams to choose from (exclude amazon, norse, dwarf, chaos dwarf, maybe some others, i havent really

i like option 1 but maybe allow people to pick 1-2 races that they don't want to use. Option 3 could also work or maybe even a combination fo 1 and 3.
Patrician

Post   Posted: May 25, 2007 - 08:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm...good point GNW...will have to give it some more thought.