20 coaches online • Server time: 02:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Roster Stats - Snotl...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: May 17, 2015 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Macho Man Rating!

Post   Posted: May 17, 2015 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Win-streak rating sounds feasible by me.

Post   Posted: May 17, 2015 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
let go.....nobody gives a crap.

Words to live by, especially for you.

Yeah....one of the very rare occasions that you're probably right. I do find it difficult though. Blood Bowl is my back garden. It's the place I will go out to play for my whole life. Even when I'm on my death bed this game will be dear to me, and so I care what happens to it and the state of it.

In no way am I poking at BG's character. He's a nice guy and is very helpful. We all know that.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 17, 2015 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
koadah wrote:
Balle2000 wrote:
So I think making CR less prominent might mellow out the playing field a bit.

If may also lead to fewer games being played overall.

Having something to play for encourages some people to play a game here rather than just doing something else.

Is there any point having 'competitive' divisions where people are discouraged from being competitive?

Encouraging more play is a good, valid point I reckon. Although I'm not sure they trump the exploit incentive one.

But you are turning it completely on its head when you say "discouraged from being competitive". Trying to remove an incentive for power gaming - which the current over-simplified ranking system does - isn't nearly the same as discouraging from being competitive.

Anyway, a reworked CR/ladder system which wasn't so open to abuse is something we might benefit from. Making the rating a composite of several different races, on not able to climb by only using one race, could be an idea.

Or rename CR. To something like Win-Streak-Rating or Power-Play-Rating Wink

I think CR is good enough for what it is intended to do. People like numbers.

Win Rating is a better name. I don't think that it would be good for the site to take it away from the large number of people who have a mild interest because of a small number of people who are fanatical about being a Legend.

People who can't take losing or are obsessed with winning will still carry on the same way because that is how they are.

How many people are we talking about here?

Post   Posted: May 17, 2015 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
MattDakka wrote:
Since CR is meaningless Christer should remove it, so people will stop caring about it.

If you find it meaningless, why do you care either way?

While I don't care too much about it, I guess many coaches care about it.
I like the idea of a CR, but the current CR doesn't take into account the tier of races you play.
If I play some Halflings games in Box, for example, the CR drops a lot when I lose compared to the tier of the team I'm using.
If I'm playing a tier 3 team I should lose like 0.5 CR when losing, earn 1 in a case of tie and earn 2 when I win (just an example with the first numbers I thought).
The current CR discourages coaches from playing weak teams, while a Legend in my opinion should master all the Blood Bowl races.
For this reason I'd like to remove CR.
Let's keep just the coach win rate %, less affected by some losses if you play a tier 3 team.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %17, %2015 - %15:%May; edited 1 time in total
Wreckage

Post   Posted: May 17, 2015 - 15:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I think there is no point in displaying sub 150 CR. It's unnecessary and just has a weird feel of masochism to it.
Also it would seem strange if a coach decided not to play some 148 CR opponent because he is too good (although 148 is above average).

edit: Mattdakka, the current CR is better than just accounting for tiers. It accounts for the specific matchups win%. It's a very sophisticated formular. Just at the end of the day it will mainly consider your ability to win. Meaning: If you win with flings you can expect a lot more CR from it. But there is sort of a maximum CR you can naturally gain from a game which is 2.
The problem is just that your odds to win are too much reduced to sufficiently profit from this boost.
To put it differently: You can play what you want, what matters at the end of the day is that you win a lot with whatever you use. That is and is going to continue to be the major aspect in CR because the ELO system it is based on is just designed to appreciate winning more than anything else.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: May 17, 2015 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

I was talking about the effect they have, not the sheer numbers. We have talked about how it's not number of coaches, but number of matches that count. We have also talked before about how bad experiences drive people away from Box for example.

But we don't need to take this further. I believe there is room for improvement around the CR, and you seem to don't think so or don't think it's worth working towards change. Fair enough.

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
koadah

Post   Posted: May 17, 2015 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
koadah wrote:

I was talking about the effect they have, not the sheer numbers. But we don't need to take this further. I believe there is room for improvement around the CR, and you seem to don't think so or don't think it's worth working towards change. Fair enough.

As I said amazons are one of the least played teams.

Even at 0-1200TV they are one of the least used teams.

I would agree with improving CR but that would be a lot of effort for someone. Christer?
The API is there if anyone is interested but it doesn't seem that anyone is.

What I don't agree with is hiding it.

You could exclude some matches from CR

Jump to: