38 coaches online • Server time: 09:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post Convince a friend to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How to paint and what to buy?
The "normal" way (like my half-painted skaven team)
34%
 34%  [ 15 ]
Speed paint! Wham bam and done!
37%
 37%  [ 16 ]
Something else, like....
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Paint a pie with icing instead.
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 43

harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2013 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Sigh..........again i just replied and lost my message due to quick reply and what not. I'm really losing not enjoying this....Bottom line is, your pictures won't be approved.
Traul

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2013 - 03:17 Reply with quote Back to top

An alternative techinque to Garion's: black and white priming.

Get one black and one white sprays. First make a uniform black priming, let it dry, then spray white from the top to simulate lighting by the sun. Then add your basecoat and polish the result as you like.

That is a good technique even for non-speed painting: the priming will show you where to place the shades and highlights.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2013 - 03:27 Reply with quote Back to top

That's basically what I do except instead of white priming I drybrush white, focusing on the intended angle of lighting. Spray-priming is quicker and probably gives you better hold, drybrushing gives you a little more control, but the same basic effect.

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2013 - 08:35 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Sigh..........again i just replied and lost my message due to quick reply and what not. I'm really losing not enjoying this....Bottom line is, your pictures won't be approved.

I assume it's ok if I link to them on tinypic, if not feel free to remove the links etc.

Overlighted Team photo
Gutter Runners
Blitzers and Throwers
Linerats + CLAW!

Any advice on how to finish them? I'm not really happy with the leather wraps on the Gutter Runner's heads as they don't stand out at all against their fur.
FYI: I didn't paint the claw myself, a friend did that for me. Before you ask: he doesn't live close by anymore, otherwise I'd have bothered him to help me out. Very Happy
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2013 - 08:51 Reply with quote Back to top

From the pics, it looks like the wraps are done with the same colours as the fur? That's the problem. The Ink wash stuff you get in that starter paint set would help a bit, but for me, I'd paint them brown, then do a cream (white with a touch of brown mixed, if you don't have a bone/cream colour) heavy highlight or drybrush, to make them look like tattered bandages. And use that colour on teeth, claws, etc. Or go with dark brown for leather effect.

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2013 - 08:53 Reply with quote Back to top

its a good start and certainly uniform enough for TT already, just more techniques needed to get to the next level really.

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2013 - 09:01 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
From the pics, it looks like the wraps are done with the same colours as the fur? That's the problem. The Ink wash stuff you get in that starter paint set would help a bit, but for me, I'd paint them brown, then do a cream (white with a touch of brown mixed, if you don't have a bone/cream colour) heavy highlight or drybrush, to make them look like tattered bandages. And use that colour on teeth, claws, etc. Or go with dark brown for leather effect.

Well, after a playing and speccing skaven a lot I think the bandages definitely make sense so I'll try that.

Garion wrote:
its a good start and certainly uniform enough for TT already, just more techniques needed to get to the next level really.

Ok that's good to know. I'll probably do a quick colour coding to differentiate them a bit more so any newbie I'm trying to bring to the Blood side will have an easier time telling them apart.
Scottii

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2013 - 09:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Washes Make Painting Fast and Easy.. Dry brushing is slow tedious and takes more aim.
1) Basicly you spray white or big brush a thin coat of white..
2) Dry. Hair dryer or paint the rest of the models
3) Then pick a highlight color of the largest area on the model for skaven that would be tan or yellow for a brown fur or light Grey, blue or even red for a black fur use a medium brush about half the thickness of the arm of a Skaven and put a solid coat of the highlight color on ..
4) you water the crud out of the next color that is the main color of the area basically you want the color to be liquid not pasty.. you should be able to see other colors through a thin layer of the color but not through a thick layer.. some cheap non GW paints are like this to start.. GW paints are usually 2 parts water to 1 part paint.. then take the same brush and quickly drag over all the fur.. You basicly want the paint to wet the whole area just sticky enough to hold on and not drip down to areas you dont touch if it flows to other areas wash it off and dry again then try with a little thicker paint after drying .. you can wash as thin as you like but the trick is to not use too much paint unless you are doing the whole model the same color..
5) Dry. Hair dryer or paint the rest of the models
6) the paint will flow into the cracks and leave the highlighted areas bright do the step 4) again with either a darker coat of brown or second coat of black water it down like before and when it drys it will look like you painted every strand of fur on the little guys
7) pick the next most covering area of the model and 3) 4) 5) 6)
you get the idea
Badoek

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2013 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Tiny update: I've primed the orcs and humans.
Now I'm gathering the other stuff I need and I'm reading back all the advice to make sure I have an idea on what to do in which order Very Happy

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2013 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, first hour of actual painting is over.
I've started with the faces of the humans (only pale skin to be painted, which also shows my own skin tone since I didn't even consider for one second using darker tones. I promise that when I'm done and get those extra blitzers, I'll paint them in a darker skin tone).

While I found it hard to only paint their faces (or find out what their faces consist of) I wasn't unhappy with the result. So I took a picture to show you guys.

So where's the picture? I did take it... but after I took it I watched the result on the picture and now I'm way too embarrassed to upload it. Laughing
B_SIDE

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2013 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

/stomp

UPLOAD ALL PICS!
krytie

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2013 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

don't worry about it. My first painted minis had 3 colours, completely plain (no highlighting/shading) and i thought they were amazing (for a while at least). Looking back, there was a severe quality curve in play i just didn't see at the time Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2013 - 10:28 Reply with quote Back to top

http://i43.tinypic.com/2mh7jvd.jpg

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2013 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

not a bad start, for future reference water down your undercoat, the black looks too thick there which will make it tougher to cover and may mean you lose some detail after a couple of coats are added to the mini. That said those minis dont have a great deal of detail anyway. So it shouldnt be a problem here.

IN this guide I did you can see a white undercoat but it should show you how I have watered down my initial white https://fumbbl.com/help:SpeedPainting it is pretty thin so none of the detail was lost.

keep it up, I look forward to seeing how you progress Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2013 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I used a spray so no watering down possible I'm afraid. I do think I may have sprayed a bit too much though.