49 coaches online • Server time: 14:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should coaches be removed from ranking if they haven`t played for more than 1 month?
No, they should never be removed.
14%
 14%  [ 17 ]
Yes, they should be removed after 1 month.
40%
 40%  [ 49 ]
Yes, but 1 month is too short, remove them at a later point. (see post)
42%
 42%  [ 51 ]
Yes, but 1 month is too long, remove them at an earlier point. (see post)
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 121

CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2009 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

spubbbba wrote:
Well it depends on how much work it would be to bring this in.

I doubt enough people care about [B] rankings for it to be a high priority. I'd certainly prefer the LRB5 client to be the top priority and the issues with the [L]eague pages be corrected before this came in.

Seeing as the code is already in use for the [R] tables, I don`t think it`s too much work to transfer it to [B].
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2009 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

It's probably too much work, but what about decaying rating. Like for each week (or each week beyond the first month), you don't play, you lose 1 (or more) rating point to a minimum of 150. That way a coach can't just come back, play 1 game, and be back on top, he constantly have to play to keep it up (no pun intended).

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2009 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Shraaaag wrote:
It's probably too much work, but what about decaying rating. Like for each week (or each week beyond the first month), you don't play, you lose 1 (or more) rating point to a minimum of 150. That way a coach can't just come back, play 1 game, and be back on top, he constantly have to play to keep it up (no pun intended).

Yuck. That would make the whole ranking system feel like a constant grind rather than something that figures itself out and you can look at every once in a while. Also if someone takes a break for six months and then comes back they might need some warmup games but they are going to be playing at their top standard pretty quickly. Giving PeteW a CR/BR of 150 every time he sees the virgin Mary in his porridge would make the system relatively meaningless fairly quickly... its supposed to be an ability ranking rather than an activity and ability ranking.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Reisender

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2009 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

what sillysod said
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2009 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Shraaaag wrote:

Yuck. That would make the whole ranking system feel like a constant grind rather than something that figures itself out and you can look at every once in a while. Also if someone takes a break for six months and then comes back they might need some warmup games but they are going to be playing at their top standard pretty quickly. Giving PeteW a CR/BR of 150 every time he sees the virgin Mary in his porridge would make the system relatively meaningless fairly quickly... its supposed to be an ability ranking rather than an activity and ability ranking.

Yeah, it's probably meant to be an ability ranking, just sounded like some saw it as being a ladder. But if it's only to show ability, why are we discussing hiding the inactive players from the list?
Igvy

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2009 - 14:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Shraaaag wrote:
SillySod wrote:
Shraaaag wrote:

Yeah, it's probably meant to be an ability ranking, just sounded like some saw it as being a ladder. But if it's only to show ability, why are we discussing hiding the inactive players from the list?

Because we don't want an all time top 10 list.

We want an active top 10 list. As the vote states, this means more to people.
MattDFan

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2009 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

a month is fair, it keeps the division active. If they come back after a month they have the challenge of winning their way back.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2010 - 03:05 Reply with quote Back to top

i think the addition to the number of teams list in blackbox is good

it says:
Quote:
Showing teams that played within the last 30 days
and at least 5 matches total.

I think the same should apply to the Top Coaches rank, and judging from this poll, this is what most coaches would like as well

(ps: instead of starting a new thread, i rejuvenated this one that had a poll)
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2010 - 11:12
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej wrote:
Sounds good and I would like the same for the active player top lists.

Someone always gotta be a hater.

Id play with him more but ive moved on from that point in my life where i need to KILL everything i see. I dont like destroying teams anymore.

Thats why i play vamps and other av7 so people can beat me up instead.

Plus you had your chance to take him out.

http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=blog&coach=82753

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2010 - 11:40 Reply with quote Back to top

jarvis_pants wrote:
Rijssiej wrote:

Id play with him more but ive moved on from that point in my life where i need to KILL everything i see. I dont like destroying teams anymore.

So that justifies him being on top of the Active Blackbox Top Stars when he hasn't played a game this year?
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2010 - 11:44 Reply with quote Back to top

hey guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Svm8xc1z8
On1

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2010 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

One month is fine, i don't think a coach should ever lose rating though.. They should just not be visible on the list.
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2010 - 12:22
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej wrote:
jarvis_pants wrote:
Rijssiej wrote:

So that justifies him being on top of the Active Blackbox Top Stars when he hasn't played a game this year?

I think theres a big difference between a coach that dosent play and a team that dosent get sheduled.

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2010 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

At first i also thought 3 months...1 seemed too short... but if youonly have to play 1 game every three months to maintain a rating than 3 months is probably too long. So I'm going with split the difference and go 2 months.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2010 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

5 games a month; 10 games every quarter -- one is almost as good as the other...

the most important thing, imo, is adding more dynamism to blackbox (and indeed fumbbl) by only showing active coaches

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
 Jump to: