53 coaches online • Server time: 15:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Fumbbl and Androidgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Skolopender

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2010 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Doesn't TS include your money? Which you can't use after a matchup...

Dunno it seems to work okay except for flings and their chefs.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2010 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
...Unlike lets say undead who just go with the Count regardless...

Hire the count then if you like. He is good vs everyone. Humies get him. Tada!
If the humies had the gold to hire all of the stars that would be so brutally broken it is unreal. Box is great cause you don't know who you'll face. This impacts your skill choices and also your team decisions such as assistants, wizard etc. I see no problem how things are...

Edit: Zug is hardly terrible vs anyone either come to that. OK, Zara varies a lot depending on if undead against you or not, but...
PainState

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2010 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

There is one Human team in the Box who can afford the 410,000 Gold to purchase all the stars at once.

No RR humies They could pull it off. For one game and tank their team for the "fun of it"

Of course if you had the time and determination and the FF you could collect the 2.5 Million and make the run in a [B] major that ran 6 rounds and try to buy the title.

But of course just getting to one million on hand is a feat unto itself.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2010 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

this thread rocks

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2010 - 21:40 Reply with quote Back to top

no rr humies are awesome. i might have to do that to train myself =D
Synn

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2010 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Big issue is that for fairness sake, once humies see their opponent and gets to decide who to hire, you have to make that same option available to the opponent.

Depth of stars is not just the perk of humies. Orcs and Chaos are pretty well stacked there too.

__Synn
Bobs

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2010 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Have an open slot on the roster called Star that cost 100K (or less) to buy it adds to TR and TS same as buying the highest tr/ts star at that price.
Once the game is scheduled you can choose which star you want and get a refund of the difference.
Then final/actual TR/TS is calculated before start of game for any handis.
No idea how it would code but thats my idea. Covers most bases.

Woodstock

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2010 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

It destroys the whole purpose of blackbox. Not knowing who you play and not being able to change your roster according to it.
Why even bother playing B if the thing you really want is just a SMACK or Minor in R?
fenric

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2010 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Goblins and halflings are the ones who really get screwed by this rule. How 'bout letting them sneak-hire in the box?
Synn

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2010 - 00:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Gobbos and Flings should just hire in the first place.

__Synn
fenric

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2010 - 02:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
Gobbos and Flings should just hire in the first place.

__Synn

Halflings need to know how many extra ingredients to buy. There's no denying that this rule hurts them the most.

And it definitely helps goblins to know who their opponent is. Bomber and a wizard might be great against ogres and khemri, but not so much against elves. I usually just hire Nobbla, since he's always a solid pick, but it would be nice to have the option to pick the appropriate star. And besides, in LRB 4, stars are hired during the pre-match sequence. So it's really just a Fumbbl house rule that doesn't allow us to hire stars and wizards before a game.
fenric

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2010 - 02:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course blackbox is a Fumbbl rule, too, so I could see why there might need to be some restrictions like this. We've all seen the lengths some coaches will go to in order to exploit any weakness in the system to improve their chances of winning. But those coaches probably aren't coaching stunties in the first place.
Malgour

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2010 - 05:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that this is a great idea, but it doesn't go far enough!

I want to be able to put making any skill rolls 'til after I know who I'm playing too!

PainState wrote:
My big beef with ranked and box is that the one strength of the human team is their stars.

My big beef with ranked and box is that the one strength of most teams is their skills.

PainState wrote:
Plus hiring blind for humans is pointless. Their stars are really good and you can buy for specific match ups. Unlike lets say undead who just go with the Count regardless.

Plus choosing skills blind for players is pointless. Their skills are really good and you can choose for specific match ups. Unlike lets say khermi who just go with DP regardless.

PainState wrote:
Yes you can buy them blind but then your dont really have a choice on which stars to hire or just take a wizard for the hell of it.

Yes you can choose them blind but then your dont really have a choice on which skills to choose or just take a mutation for the hell of it.
TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2010 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

The only remotely plausible way of dealing with this is to select pre-matchup the maximum you will spend on freebooters, turn this into a TS-value somehow, and then once the matchup has been done, allow freebooting (but not hiring). It is difficult to dismiss this idea as being against the "play whoever you draw" principle of Blackbox since hiring freebooters is supposed to be done once you know who you've drawn. It could on the other hand be considered impractical and of limited appeal, since it won't be used all that often.
Naru1981

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2010 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

OR
just keep things as they are. The way most coaches are happy with. It is quite simple.
If you dont like the rules of the Box, DONT PLAY IT.