56 coaches online • Server time: 16:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How long have you been playing?
Day one, around 2003 (Christer vote here!)
26%
 26%  [ 24 ]
33%
 33%  [ 30 ]
25%
 25%  [ 23 ]
2006.. nOOb..
13%
 13%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 89

Fama

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Azurus wrote:

I do think the community has worsened. At the start, the only people on where those who were already BB addicts, and thus played tabletop. As fumbbl got older, it attracted increasing numbers of people who were 'internet gamers' before BB players, many have never played a tabletop game. And it's had a detrimental effect on the community, in my opinion.

I'd say that might be a pretty good reason. Playing BB, possible with beer, and close friends, makes you play more for fun. In Fumbbl, it's more about winning. I think.

Also, I joined in 2005, so I'm relatively new.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

The community was at its Apex when InquisitorPustus and I were both around! Razz

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

heh i do miss pustus. Sad

i joined back in 2004 and i still consider myself a noob. i take the point about there being a lot of wuhan wannabies around (and yes i guess i should include myself there though i played my way before id ever really heard of wuhan) but i do think its unfair to claim theyre all just after boosting some bizzare "net image" of themselves. true they (we) may well be but how does that make them any different from people who boost their image by boasting about scoring lots or by posting constantly in a way that seems to say "im always right. you should all listen to me for i am king of the geeky people". Wink
(note im not refering to anyone in particular here so dont get offended)
we all put forward some kind of net image.....

... its just mines cooler Wink

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Feb something 2004

Back in the day, I was a better coach....actually I'm still the same...it's just everyone else got better.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Especially me. Playing Paul makes you better!

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

well my coach info site says: Member since: October 15th, 2002, but i didn't get it back then nothing was automatic and my puny computer skills wasn't up to the challenge! So i let it go until my brother told me about a online blood bowl site he was playing at and that it looked like i was a coach there! i played first match in: 2004-04-30 16:46:33 against my brother Qaz...
Boy oh boy its long time ago....
-Buur

*edit*
Just checked and my first post was in the: "Fouling:Is this a part of the game?" thread .... ROFL!
-Buur

Last edited by Buur on %b %23, %2006 - %20:%Jun; edited 3 times in total
Shinan

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I got here some time in the beginning of 2003, though I wasn't really part of the forum community. I just played a couple of games and then I stopped and came back about a year later or something like that. I'd say that nowadays it's easier to get games and it's easier to get into all this. I can't say I feel that it's changed much since I came back after my year-long pause. And before my pause I wasn't really that much part of the whole thing.

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 06:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally i take games whenever im offered, i dont really care about the match up as long as im in 10tr of the other team. The CR is anoying the hell out of me recently as i cant even get games to purposly lose so i can get my CR back to a point were random people will just play me again. I know everyone will say "jump to U you fool" but ranked has all the players.

But i do think something needs to be done about the standards of playing, new people just dont have a chance because of the solid core of players that know everything about the game down to the % of something happening. Maybe handicaps shoud be introduced based on CR?? Crazy talk i hear them say... Smile

But i do remember when i first started i could play about 4 games in one day, now im lucky if i can get 1 game in 3 hours and it bothers me - but i do understand that the average player out there probably dosn't want to lose and so avoids the more experienced teams and players for the sake of there own fun. A viscious cycle indeed, and i cant see any easy solution..

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 07:12 Reply with quote Back to top

i never have and never will choose my games based on CR. i look at the opposing team and decide if im game or not.
Dooby

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Coteaz92 wrote:
i never have and never will choose my games based on CR. i look at the opposing team and decide if im game or not.

Yup me too CR can't be right anyway - look at mine and sk8bcn and we are both rubbish rubbish Wink
Colin

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

It started in 2002. In fact, I found when the very first seeds were sown in Christer's mind:
http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=164&start=76 and
http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1101 and
http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=993

And I got started right here:
http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=164&start=119

The earliest version of FUMBBL was known as J League (this is the earliest mention I could find of it:
http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1633 ), in which I came 2nd to Christer (thanks the Zy-Nox drawing a game with a jammy TD Evil or Very Mad ).

FUMBBL first went online here:
http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1827
The league had to be manually updated by Christer, with all of us emailing him our result files. I missed the relaunch of the new automated system by a few days, though.

I actually remember the online discussion we had were we chose the name 'FUMBBL', and I named the now-defunct Div X - I might have had the idea for it, can't remember for sure. I remember us all laughing at the first Wood Elf Catcher to take Dauntless (how wrong we were). Ah, nostalgia is truely a Vasoline-coated lens to the past <dabs eyes>.