48 coaches online • Server time: 11:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How to spend my hard-earned cash?
Save up for another Ogre
24%
 24%  [ 12 ]
Save up for another Reroll
62%
 62%  [ 31 ]
Get your 6th Goblin for backup
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 50

fathead

Post 22 Posted: Jul 20, 2006 - 02:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's my team: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=275237

The question is should I focus on saving up for another Ogre or another reroll, or should I throw 40k at another Goblin to increase my reserves right now.

I'm leaning towards saving for that eighth Ogre. As nice as another reroll would certainly be, an eighth ogre would give me the potential to keep three players in reserve. I'm constantly running out of reserves and playing with 8-10 players, and it'd be nice to keep up full strength in the second half more frequently.
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2006 - 03:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Ogres may be the muscle of your team, but flings are the heart!! Then again I didn't even look so don't take my advice.

Don't drop the soap.
Plorg

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2006 - 03:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Rerolls early while your team has low TR and still gets lots of money per game.
chunky04

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2006 - 03:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Rerolls are the key to a competitive Ogre team. They should also help reduce the number of casualties you'll take.

When I develop Ogres now, my first priority is to get to 3 RRs, then 6 Ogres. After that its pretty much gravy.

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2006 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

an ogre for fun

a reroll for competitiveness

a fling for a cheating hart like ex-convict

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2006 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

What Plorg said... Reroll!

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2006 - 01:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't have your cake and eat it too Sad

You're unlikely to ever get both a reasonable number of rerolls and a full Ogre squad. At higher TR you earn so little money that hoping for a 10 game streak without losing a player so you can buy a reroll instead is a pipe dream. You have to commit to either rerolls or Ogres at some point. I prefer rerolls myself but you have to be prepared to play with a small (or no) bench. Even replacing goblins gets difficult later. If you look at my team as an example http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=228062 while I've got six rerolls I still only have 11 players and I play with 9 or 10 regularly. I got lucky in the middle of their development and didn't lose many players in order to get them to this point.

On the plus side, playing short with Ogres isn't so bad - ST5 across the board ties up lots of opposing players Smile
I think Ogres can afford to run only 3 or 4 Goblins - they'll die anyway.

Good Luck !
Emphasy

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2006 - 01:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Real Ogres doesnt need RR:)

I usually get 9 ogres or so before buying my 2nd rr...
wookie

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2006 - 01:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, my own ogres still have not understood the basic concept of a reroll so I really cannot give advice in the matter... Smile
fathead

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2006 - 03:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Emphasy wrote:
Real Ogres doesnt need RR:)

I usually get 9 ogres or so before buying my 2nd rr...

Right now I'm still leaning towards purchasing my 8th ogre before my 3rd reroll, despite the poll's current results.

Any other Ogre experts (or clueless newbs with an opinion) care to chime in?
public_Bob

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2006 - 06:50 Reply with quote Back to top

despite what you might think you might well get more bash from an extra reroll. Sure an extra ogre will get you an extra mb st5 player av9 who will likely not be going off the pitch anytime soon, but an extra reroll will save you a few turns each match when you roll those skull+both down 2d block results near the start and then the rest of the ogres don't get to pound coz you have just got yourself a turnover. And more bash means more defense. The more you kill them the less of them there are to kill your gobbos, and the more easily you can protect them.

having said that i have never played ogres so take it with a grain of salt

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2006 - 09:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I´d go for a rerroll. 2 aren´t enough.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2006 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Since LRB5 will only allow 6 ogres it's a good idea to get as much ogres as possible before them become grandfathered.

fathead

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2006 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

vanGorn wrote:
Since LRB5 will only allow 6 ogres it's a good idea to get as much ogres as possible before them become grandfathered.

I was afraid of something like that. Fortunately Skijunkie will probably take a while to finish coding all the new rules and changes, so I should have time to get 10-12.

I still haven't decided what to save up for, but I can take my sweet time since no one ever challenges Ogre teams. I haven't been able to get a single match with these guys since I created this post, and I've had to create a R Ogre team to get a few games.
 Jump to: