52 coaches online • Server time: 20:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:

So all you coaches...BITE ME!!! IAM COMING FOR YOU!!!!!!

Oh, so youre going to activate Box now? SWEET! Look forward to it... Wink
BobBifford

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 00:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Aflo wrote:
Who cares if elf-playing coaches like to play other elves? Pimping out their teams for tournies or otherwise, who even really cares? Who as an adult human being, (presumably with relationships, careers and a life) is devoting time in their brain to make other grown men 'elf-balling' a concerning issue? That's mental.

Yes indeed.
nufflehatesme

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 01:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
Since a few people asked, I'm one of the coaches who was kicked from a major for picking. I still think it was a completely idiotic decision, and no longer participate in site tournaments. Basically I set up two very soft recovery games between the preliminaries and the main round.

edit: maybe we don't need all the drama.

cmon now, you played your team twice against the same opponent in a row. apparently after being told not to do that. i would have been dissapointed if the admins didnt crack down on you.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

nufflehatesme wrote:
cmon now, you played your team twice against the same opponent in a row. apparently after being told not to do that. i would have been dissapointed if the admins didnt crack down on you.

There were 10 games played in between, but here's my question. If I'd played that player once, then found another equally soft opponent for the second game, that would have been totally okay. Fine. Out on a technicality. Name and shame rules prevent me from posting major tuneup games against stunties and cherries from other players.

My mistake was being open about it. I freely admitted grooming a team with 3 +AG gutter runners and a clawpomber to get ready for a major. I was told in no uncertain terms that that conduct wasn't acceptable, and that future teams would be punished for it.

I played easy games to get my team in the best shape to win a major. I accepted the admin's decision, and even entered a few more tournaments afterwards. Unfortunately, similar behavior by other players is not dealt with in a similar manner, so I have elected not to play in tournaments anymore.

This isn't about defending my own conduct, it's pointing out the hypocrisy of not applying the standard evenly.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

How could there be 10 games played in between if you were only allowed two recovery games?

Quote:
If I'd played that player once, then found another equally soft opponent for the second game, that would have been totally okay.

I have no idea when the no back to back games rule came in and I had never heard of it until I read this thread. But, it's there now for all to see.
I had always thought that it would be OK also long as you then avoided that coach/team for around 20 games. But it now seems that playing them 4 times in 10 might be OK as long as it's not back to back.

Quote:
My mistake was being open about it. I freely admitted grooming a team with 3 +AG gutter runners and a clawpomber to get ready for a major. I was told in no uncertain terms that that conduct wasn't acceptable, and that future teams would be punished for it.

I don't really see the point of recovery games unless you can play games that might actually aid recovery. Wink

This all sounds like a case of "Don't ask, don't tell". Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2015 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Just for my interest: Are all those tackle/MB/PO loaded Teams, who query my elven Teams, picking too?

Personally i am totally feeling being picked ,-)
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2015 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Brainsaw wrote:
Just for my interest: Are all those tackle/MB/PO loaded Teams, who query my elven Teams, picking too?

Personally i am totally feeling being picked ,-)

That's the rub of Ranked, isn't it? Everyone is a picker but some pickers are more equal than others.
PainState

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2015 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

What I find interesting about these TMBPO teams is this.

As tweener teams: Humans, Zons, Undead and the like enter the lofty realms of high TV is it not natural for them to pick up TMBPO on their blitzers and heavy hitters.

Just like it is totally natural for the Killer mutant teams to start loading up on some CMBPOT on their heavy hitters

Just like it is natural for the elfs to load up heavy on Blodge, leaping, ball hawking, +STAT freaks running circles around everyone who cannot corral them?

What is my point?

This is totally natural that the 3 broad groupings of Blood Bowl teams all eventually start picking up these "killer" and "annoying" skills that make their team better.

That is why as I stated earlier in the UI thread (which started this) that Elves start to bunch up and play against each other a lot more and the bashers start bashing their own brains in a lot more and the tweeners hang out at a bar looking for a match that is not lopsided against a basher or baller.

Because each of the 3 groups now have another group that is capable and skilled up to smash the living crap out of your team. Thus the famous rock/scissor/paper analogy comes up when we discuss style of play of these 3 broad groups.

BTW this in not just a Ranked/Picker issue. This is how it works in R/B/L/S/FFB test

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2015 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:

BTW this in not just a Ranked/Picker issue. This is how it works in R/B/L/S/FFB test

Let me clarify one thing. This dynamic I was talking about applies to all teams across every division on FUMBBL.

Yet, only in the Ranked div can you avoid the natural state of the Blood Bowl universe by avoiding/picking your teams natural enemy.

Thus Elves avoid the evil tweener teams who have skilled up in a very mean and dastardly way with MBPOT.

So, is picking the root problem with this elves picking elves? Or is it the coaches themselves that start this issue by avoiding certain style of teams that they feel are kryptonite for their team? And then it snowballs to such a degree that they will actually only play 4-6 different races and they have to pass a litmus test of no TMBPO or no DP or No Tackle before they will consider a match against those 4-6 races.

Last edited by PainState on %b %27, %2015 - %20:%Mar; edited 2 times in total
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2015 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
What I find interesting about these TMBPO teams is this.

As tweener teams: Humans, Zons, Undead and the like enter the lofty realms of high TV is it not natural for them to pick up TMBPO on their blitzers and heavy hitters.

Just like it is totally natural for the Killer mutant teams to start loading up on some CMBPOT on their heavy hitters

Just like it is natural for the elfs to load up heavy on Blodge, leaping, ball hawking, +STAT freaks running circles around everyone who cannot corral them?

What is my point?

This is totally natural that the 3 broad groupings of Blood Bowl teams all eventually start picking up these "killer" and "annoying" skills that make their team better.

That is why as I stated earlier in the UI thread (which started this) that Elves start to bunch up and play against each other a lot more and the bashers start bashing their own brains in a lot more and the tweeners hang out at a bar looking for a match that is not lopsided against a basher or baller.

Because each of the 3 groups now have another group that is capable and skilled up to smash the living crap out of your team. Thus the famous rock/scissor/paper analogy comes up when we discuss style of play of these 3 broad groups.

This is something that bugs me about picking specifically in Ranked or general complaining about how a person builds players or teams - what would you have them do instead? Generally there aren't too many raging hypocrites about team and player builds but the lack of reciprocity in Ranked befuddles me and is a turn off.

Having an attritionally minded Blitzer/Wight/Storm Vermin is just good sense. I get not wanting to play against them but to begrudge their existence to the point of not ever playing them? Come on.
PainState

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2015 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

And of course I cannot leave with out one last thought on this.

BlackBox on the other seems to solve this issue on its "face" value.

But the Box destroys the natural order of the Blood Bowl universe because the format eventually destroys the concept of 3 groupings of teams in terms of style. Over time the Ballers stop playing and then the tweeners fall off the cliff and all that is left are the bashers.

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2015 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not just that. Make a developed Orc team, don't take any PO, take fun skills like DT on doubles, and you won't find any game versus elves either. If you really wanna play them, lose your next 50 games to have 120 CR and take Pass Block as a first skill (oh, no, wait, Pass Block may interfere with their elfballing!).

EDIT - And surprisingly, if you play with zons full of T/G/MB/PO, you will find games versus elves. Not often, but sometimes. Go figure...

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2015 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:

Having an attritionally minded Blitzer/Wight/Storm Vermin is just good sense. I get not wanting to play against them but to begrudge their existence to the point of not ever playing them? Come on.

If you were playing to play then of course. But we can "play" in tournaments, in [L]eague and in [B ]ox.
If we're playing to build then it doesn't make sense.

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2015 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
And of course I cannot leave with out one last thought on this.

BlackBox on the other seems to solve this issue on its "face" value.

But the Box destroys the natural order of the Blood Bowl universe because the format eventually destroys the concept of 3 groupings of teams in terms of style. Over time the Ballers stop playing and then the tweeners fall off the cliff and all that is left are the bashers.

Tis true. All Box does is move the picking to behind an abstraction that focuses all attention on who you play as based on perceieved likely opponents and likely skill combos. its perfect for people who believe "you cant control the wind but you can adjust your sails."
Leilond

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2015 - 20:51 Reply with quote Back to top

There isn't a "correct" environment in FUMBBL
In Ranked the people pick and do not play randomly against possible dangerous opponents
In Black box there isn't any balance, because every elf you see, there are 4 dwarf teams, 6 chaos teams, 5 Khemri e Pheraps half a skaven, zero High elf and so on, so on, so on

The "perfect" environment for a really balanced blood bow division, should be one with a scheduler that do not let you play against any race already encountered in the last... say, 15 matches

The black box ISN'T balanced, like Ranked ISN'T balanced, for two different reason, but both because you do not have an equal chance to meet a particular enemy.
 Jump to: