18 coaches online • Server time: 04:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2015 - 03:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I had recently found out that every skill is optional, apart from Negative traits. My opponent at the Spike Magazine Tourney (My own Twin Brother in fact)) chose not to use Mighty Blow to keep several Knocked out players on the field. He was going after Casualties Awards, and knocked out results were not in his best interest.

Jeffro
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2015 - 04:10 Reply with quote Back to top

And this is part of why TT games take 3 hours right?
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2015 - 04:13 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
I had recently found out that every skill is optional,

Aye, all skills are optional unless stated otherwise (Frenzy).

The client does not allow this due to the needs of an efficient computer interface while the rule in fact satisfies the needs of an efficient tabletop experience.

In tabletop skills will never automatically trigger, a coach has to sort of... remember that they are there. So what this rule essentially does is to say: If you forget about the skill, that's fine, you don't have to use it, just keep on playing.

Note that optional in this sense means you can choose to use a skill at any given point in the game (ie after dice rolls are made rather than before). But it's possible to think up very complex constructions of people deciding whether to use/not use skills if you take "at any time" at face value.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2015 - 03:19 Reply with quote Back to top

sann0638 wrote:
Don't know about the client, but I would say yes in CRP. But it's not clear actually, re-reading the rules.

On page 23 of the CRP1: "4. Skill use is not mandatory."
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2015 - 03:21 Reply with quote Back to top

^^^ yay completely pointles necro...

??????

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2015 - 04:32 Reply with quote Back to top

jonno wrote:
Catalyst32 wrote:
Why would anyone SELECT Strip Ball on a skill-up... then USE the player with Strip Ball to Block or Blitz the BALL CARRIER... and choose NOT to use Strip Ball?

Say you have a frenzy + strip ball-player and would rather surf the ball carrier from a side cage with the ball and hope for a favourable throw-in?
Only case I could see doing this.
Why not give the Strip option at any time when a dodge option is offered?
babass

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2015 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Catalyst32 wrote:
Why would anyone SELECT Strip Ball on a skill-up... then USE the player with Strip Ball to Block or Blitz the BALL CARRIER... and choose NOT to use Strip Ball?

To force a TD.

or to push out the ball-carrier, with the ball, in order to except the right direct/distance during the throw-in
Reisender

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2015 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

All skills are optional and for many of them there was a lengthy discussion if they should be implemented as optional during the development of the FFB client.

Here is a short forum thread https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=18894 about this, there were more with long discussions about a lot of skills but i cant find them right now.

Basically, the discussion boiled down to: Exact rules implementation vs. Playability (there were a lot of skills identified that could be optional in a very specific situation) and vs. Kalimars time to implement sth.

So some skills that you may often not want to use (ex. dodge vs surfs and oneturners, juggernaut, wrestle) were implemented as optional, while others (strip ball, accurate, mighty blow etc.) were decided to keep non-optional for better playability and because the situations are so rare when you wouldnt want to muse them)
Bobs

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2015 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
^^^ yay completely pointles necro...

??????

+2

Verminardo

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2015 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Or near the side line. In some situations it might be better to pin the ball carrier on the side line, than risk a scatter. But really it's no big deal, it's going to be a very rare situation where you also can't blitz with another play.

Not that you us Strip Ball that often that a pop-up would really cause that much inconvenience. But you have to draw the line somewhere. What if you're hit by a Stripper and don't want to use Sure Hands? What if you're blocking and don't want to use the Block skill? I can make up a situation where that would actually be a good option. Kalimar wisely chose not to have the client ask about every single skill use, and he drew the line South of Strip Ball, which you can argue but I think you can argue it both ways. Smile

Edit: lol fell for the Necro, too. Laughing
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2015 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
Maybe that is a task for the next version of the blood bowl client, to ask the active coach to not use strip ball in case the blocked ball carrier could be pushed to the touchdown zone.

Or frenzied to a surf.

Jump to: