35 coaches online • Server time: 12:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PotionOfStrength

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2015 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

I have a goblin team - 20 games in, and one of the little guys seems to be advancing better than the others...
Rolled an AG+ first roll
Then doubles and I took nerves of steel, thinking I would turn him into a wide receiver type
Third roll normal, took diving catch to let him link up with my Hail Mary bomber (very happy about that roll on first lvl up)

He'll inevitably get another level soon, advice on what to give him?
Assuming normal:
Jump up?
Double:
Probably block?

Cheers

Tom
cdassak

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2015 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

First doubles should have been block. NOS is useless, how many times have you used it?
Go for the running game (sometimes the flying too) with gobbos, especially with a +ag blodger carrier

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2015 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you care about winning (nothing wrong if you don't - just enjoy the game)?

If yes, NoS and HMP ain't a good idea. Block would have been the best option for the double (or maybe SB if you're adventurous...). Then SS, Sprint, and Sure Feet in whatever order (well SF before Sprint, most likely) for the normal rolls. Then Catch or JU if he's still alive, or Tackle, MB or Strib Ball in case of double.

Now of course, if you don't mind losing games and have fun with HMP, yeah, pick Diving Catch, I guess.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2015 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, if they can mark him it usually means they can blitz him, and without block chances are he won't be around to catch the following turn anymore.

NoS is only good when spammed. And even then it's not all that good. Diving catch is not good at all. Even with hmp it's very unlikely it will ever come to use.

if you ever roll doubles on him again, take block without thinking.

Otherwise on normals sidestep, sure feet, sprint, and ultimately catch are all good options. Mind catch is mostly used for one turn attempts.

As a rule of thumb, when a goblin rolls a double take dirty player if he's a rookie.

Otherwise if he's good (+ag, +st, even +ma) take block.

Good call on the hmp bomber, use it for bombs on defence, not for the ball tho! Very Happy
PotionOfStrength

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2015 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Good advice guys, thanks.

Yeah NoS is a bit of a waste, I thought maybe I would get some use out of it.
Defence caging with gobbos to allow time for players to get up the pitch tends to end badly... So the passing game isn't really an option - also with stunty even less so...
So the only time it really gets used is when the ball gets knocked loose in a scrum, then he's very good to have around to get in and get the ball away. Which tends to happen a lot with goblins as ball carriers.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2015 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Wait what? do you chuck bombs at him for him to diving catch and then lob onto people? Thats the most awesome thing i've seen on here all week!
PotionOfStrength

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2015 - 21:44 Reply with quote Back to top

ha no thats waaay to risky. Even for goblins!
Uedder

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2015 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Rember nos only applies to catches and throws not pickups!
Kam

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2015 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah yeah, Big Hands on the other... hand (d'oh!) is great on AG4 UW Gobbos.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2015 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I do occasionally consider that with my gnomes paddy, using the daredevils as 'range extenders' on a bomb. It's especially nice as they have +AG, diving catch, catch, and you can move them into position on the same turn that you actually throw the bomb. Of course you don't aim next to them but on them (catching an accurate pass), but it isn't entirely silly, and at least they have a good chance of catching a miss also.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2015 - 23:21 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:
I do occasionally consider that with my gnomes paddy, using the daredevils as 'range extenders' on a bomb. It's especially nice as they have +AG, diving catch, catch, and you can move them into position on the same turn that you actually throw the bomb. Of course you don't aim next to them but on them (catching an accurate pass), but it isn't entirely silly, and at least they have a good chance of catching a miss also.

Brilliant
I can't beleive I never thought of doing it before!!
I feel a gimick team and a new record/badge ccoming on!
 Jump to: