28 coaches online • Server time: 12:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2016 - 03:37 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
I heard that if you ever roll the numbers 3, 1, 4, 1 and 5 on consecutive d6 during a game of BB, a real-life cheerleader will break through your wall and give you a piece of pie Smile

OMG I have to get a game going right now!...*clatter* *clatter* *clatter* mmmmm, cherry pie.... *clatter* *clatter* *clatter*....
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2016 - 03:39 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
I play Skaven a fair bit and the deal-breaker for me with the Rat Ogre is this: think about how many extra skills you can have on your four Gutter Runners for the cost of a RO (even a rookie one). It's skilled-up GRs that will win you games, more often then not.

And really, you only need 2 stud GRs, 1 ottder, 1 ballhawk to have a shot in any given game.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2016 - 04:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the rat ogre personally because I like ramping the variance up sometimes.
wintergreen13

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2016 - 04:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really know what's best, but if Azure can win a Box major with a team built around its rat ogre, then I am ready to believe it's a good addition to a Skaven team. definitely not required, but in the Box player removal is key and the rogre is a great way to do that.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2016 - 05:10 Reply with quote Back to top

wintergreen13 wrote:
I don't really know what's best, but if Azure can win a Box major with a team built around its rat ogre, then I am ready to believe it's a good addition to a Skaven team. definitely not required, but in the Box player removal is key and the rogre is a great way to do that.

A Skaven Blitzer with Clawpomb is more reliable than a Rat Ogre for player removal and way better from the TV-efficiency point of view, moreover Wild Animal, Loner and no G regular access are 3 huge drawbacks.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %23, %2016 - %05:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
tussock

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2016 - 05:18 Reply with quote Back to top

If it works in practice, but not in theory, there's a problem with your theory. Just sayn.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2016 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I have 2 skaven teams. One with RO and one without. I play each team a bit differently and i also see opponents adapt whether there is RO or not.

The guy who is in finals with Skaven team in BB2 World Cup (Malek) has RO in his team. There have been arguments that in specific closed environment he is useful in right hands and thus far he/it has been useful either as needed blitzer, roadblock or overall threat.

Woodelf and Skaven are both good teams without big guy(s) but they are also good with them. There have been many games where even rooted tree can be a nuisance against both: bashy and agile teams. Some elf-teams will block, blitz and frenzy opponents players back in contact with the tree and use his/its mighty blow. I'm more of a Delf coach so i can't personally talk about Woodies.. just 2nd hand thoughts.

I play Norse without Yeti.. Claw and strength is useful but i think norse can do well without it too. (Haven't played high tv-norse.. so i can see that orcs and even dwarfs could be handled easier with yeti.. but new norse doesn't want to bloat tv with big guy).

Dunno about that question about Underworld.. i'd like to see that first to see if it really fits that kind of team. I believe that Underworld needs something but dunno if RO is the key to solve it.
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2016 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeti is a good addition to a Norse team later, but I'm not sure he pulls his weight. He may be a better deterrent than anything else, which is the case with most big guys.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2016 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

We really should mention vindaloo in this thread.

For those who don't know:
The game
ph0enyx13

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 03:20 Reply with quote Back to top

It seems like big guys in general are better in leagues than in box
Uedder

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 03:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Rogre is ace. One more chance for clawpomb.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 04:01 Reply with quote Back to top

ph0enyx13 wrote:

Ok, so can you draw a conclusion about that?
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 06:41 Reply with quote Back to top

ph0enyx13 wrote:

Not always (Wintergreen referenced this fellah too)

It really does come down to coach and preference. There's plenty of (successful) teams in box that defy all the expectations people have both of the environment and of how you "logically" build and play a team. There's also plenty of utterly dire ones that follow those expectations exactly.

Ultimately, a coach's preference of play-style and the way a team grows is going to have a massive influence on what is "better". If someone prefers to play with a rat ogre then that's better for them, even if the consensus is not to take it/dump it quickly.

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
ph0enyx13 wrote:

That most of the big guys aren't valuable TV wise, but are more valuable than inducements, generally, and are generally good at helping to protect your team from attrition
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2016 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

ph0enyx13 wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
ph0enyx13 wrote:

That most of the big guys aren't valuable TV wise, but are more valuable than inducements, generally, and are generally good at helping to protect your team from attrition

Indeed about the TV part and protecting your team from attrition (or causing attrition, thus saving your team from attrition).

So in a box environment where it is very TV driven, they aren't that common. If your team gets hit hard, then your next match up will be easier.

However that isn't the case with league, where heavy attrition will most likely be disastrous. Thus league teams will be more likely to put up with the extra weight because there the next match up isn't TV driven.

So, although both 'can be' good, they're not quite worth the TV. Which also means they neither are likely to be a clincher on which roster to take. As highlighted gutters/blitzers dancers/ag4 are more likely clinchers (from a competitive stance).
 Jump to: