93 coaches online • Server time: 21:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
chunky04

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2005 - 05:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Just figured I'd put up this guide to give people who are looking for quick approvals a hand. This is mainly for those seeking quick approvals, those who don't care how long it takes feel free to ignore this post, just don't be annoyed if your team gets rejected or simply doesn't get approved for a while.

First things first, if you're after a fast approval, make your names English. This may seem wrong, but at the end of the day, there are many more approvers who speak english than any other language. More approvers = more likely to approve your team. I personally don't have any language skills, so there are currently a number of teams I'd love to approve but can't because I have no idea if they contain foul non-english language.

Remember, approvers are people too. We all have bad days. I often approve teams while I'm at work, and if I'm having a bad day, then the threshold before I hit that disallow button tends to decrease. This can also result in us just passing the buck and leaving the team for someone else to approve as we can't decide on whether it crosses the line or not. Personally I prefer to do the disallow than let things wait - others may not.

On this track - things that are likely to get this approver to hit the disallow button:

- Complete lack of effort. There are rules up for team naming, generally along the lines of do not use numbers for names, do noy use foul language etc. There is also plenty of grey area beyond that. The less effort you put into naming your team, the more likely it ill be rejected.

- Alpha, Beta, Gamma etc are still numbers. Despite not actually speaking much greek, I do speak mathematics passably, and many of the non-english versions of numbers are familiar to me. These will not be passed.

- Thinly disguised foul language - I don't care how many 's or spaces or whatever you put in there, if I catch it, it won't be allowed. For that matter, any sort of names that involve this sort of wordplay, regardless of wther it disguises foul language or something much cooler - they'll take longer to approve, simply because we have to check them carefully to make sure they aren't foul language.

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2005 - 06:01 Reply with quote Back to top

hmmmm this is helpful for new people get bmm or colin or someone to add this to the user guide

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2005 - 06:05 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/help:TeamNames

Most of the above can be found in more "official" language there.

But as chunky rightfully points out...if YOU don't care about your team WHY should we? I too will allow a team to wait if all they can manage for names is "Seh, Feh, Bleh, Neh" etc. These are your potential champions! Name them as such Wink

As far as non-english names I would also advise SPELLING them correctly. That way the more industruious monkeys can use a translation program to get the gist of what they are called.

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2005 - 07:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't trust them translation thingamijigs Wink

I mainly put it here for the more grey area stuff about the lack of effort etc - just tacked the rest on as it never hurts.

Its a shame we can't set fumbbl to open up that page automatically for someone who gets a team rejected the next time they log on.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, you adivce does work though i didn't see if till after i made my team and i do spend alot of time thinking up of names for my players even if they are dead. But i had to change my names so they didn't seem offenisve to any one. Though skeletons with strange names is funny....and i will people go on an on and on if i don't stop now.
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

ozjesting wrote:

But as chunky rightfully points out...if YOU don't care about your team WHY should we? I too will allow a team to wait if all they can manage for names is "Seh, Feh, Bleh, Neh" etc. These are your potential champions! Name them as such Wink

As far as non-english names I would also advise SPELLING them correctly. That way the more industruious monkeys can use a translation program to get the gist of what they are called.

So, practically:

The more time you spend creating your team, the less time it will take to approve it. If you try to take a shortcut while making player names, it might actually increase the time elapsed before your team gets finally approved.

G_Force

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 00:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Karhumies wrote:
ozjesting wrote:

So, practically:

The more time you spend creating your team, the less time it will take to approve it. If you try to take a shortcut while making player names, it might actually increase the time elapsed before your team gets finally approved.

i was just thinking the same thing.

i've spent so long deciding about my next team and thinking of a theme and some names (plus possible pictures and fluff for bios) it should get approved before i finish creating it Smile

Jump to: