62 coaches online • Server time: 17:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

202 should be more than enough, if 512 or even 1024 teams may enter. Very Happy

Peter_Thorpe

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
At the start of the Warpstone everyone was concerned with the Birthday teams and how they would "destroy" the Tourney. Well that did not materalize fully and the GLT, UI and Lustrian did not seem to be effected by the birthday, Brotherhood excluded.

BUT

I have noticed the last few days when Iam on gamefinder everyonce in a whille a "UBBER" team will appear, usually orc or chaos, and I will check them out. Allmost everytime I check there game record the last game they played was on the birthday. It seems some coaches, no idea how many, horded their birthday team for the Fumbbl Cup and are trying to get some games for cash I assume, they are allready "pimped" out to the extreme when it comes to SPP and NO injuries.

Justed wanted to hear everyones feed back on this subject and wondering if you are seeing the same things Iam. Plus lets hear from some of those B-Day coaches who have been waiting all year for the Fumbbl.

On a side note: I have no problem with the Birthday teams. But I will say this. Atleast the Brotherhood came out and played and let everyone have their "shot" at them. Unlike who knows how many other teams who hid in their caves waiting for this day to come up. In the end the armagedon idea that a tourney would be filled with B-day teams might be at hand.

im not one to be able to, but i aggree with janmattys post Very Happy

its our duty to crush the smart coaches for saving the teams! Razz

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2008 - 21:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Saw two more B-Day teams come out of a hole on gamefinder two days ago when I was lurking around the site at work. I cant wait to see the Fumbbl main draw and see if Armageddon happens. They were both orc teams over 300TR. And of course no injuries and a butt load of SPP.

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2008 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
Saw two more B-Day teams come out of a hole on gamefinder two days ago when I was lurking around the site at work. I cant wait to see the Fumbbl main draw and see if Armageddon happens. They were both orc teams over 300TR. And of course no injuries and a butt load of SPP.

tbh you get those anyway Wink

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
CSlassie

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2008 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I never even played on b-day... Sad
Hogshine

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2008 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I think I played a few games, but not many more than I would've on any other day if I'd been at uni...
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2008 - 07:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Russo wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:

Nope craftburn played the most at 49 and they were mostly 1-1 games.

I thought it was pml97 who played 52 1v1 games that won the race for most games played?

I can`t be relied upon to get every fact correct. The fact I have some awareness (though not fully) of what this topic is about is a major achievement in itself.

I must say though, that if a player wants to take the day off work on his birthday and play 20 or so games, because he`s got nothing better to do, he should be allowed. Your birthday is your birthday, let em do what they want.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2008 - 08:08 Reply with quote Back to top

My biggest problem with these teams is the following: Winning a major should be the biggest honor that can be won by Fumbbl Ranked team and it's coach. This honor is greatly diminished if the win was not gotten in a level playing field.

That said, most of these teams have to give away multiple handicaps to their opposition every game and thus they are always at risk of losing a match due to unfavorable handy rolls. Even the eaters would not survive a Wasn't me/Morleys/greatest game against a run of the mill bashy team.

I'll cheer every CAS taken by the teams Hyperbuilt on the birthday, especially those that have hardly played since, but we should not overestimate their chances of winning.

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2008 - 08:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
My biggest problem with these teams is the following: Winning a major should be the biggest honor that can be won by Fumbbl Ranked team and it's coach. This honor is greatly diminished if the win was not gotten in a level playing field.

This sounds like nonsense to me.

If a level playing field is considered to be important why don't we have a TR cap.

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2008 - 08:37 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Cloggy wrote:

If a level playing field is considered to be important why don't we have a TR cap.

To me the level playing field that everyone has to manage their teams carefully and well to get to the sort of TR/TS that let's you enter a major with a chance of winning. The birthday took away that element of coaching, and thus teams that wil play their first game since january 3rd in the first round of the FC have not gotten there on a level playing field.

That's not nonsense, that's common sense.

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2008 - 08:49 Reply with quote Back to top

perhaps if all the entered b-day teams are unseeded and drawn in their own section of the tourney they can kick the snot out of each other until only one rather battered remnant is left barely surviving to play with the rest at whatever stage that reaches them.

koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2008 - 08:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
koadah wrote:
Cloggy wrote:

To me the level playing field that everyone has to manage their teams carefully and well to get to the sort of TR/TS that let's you enter a major with a chance of winning. The birthday took away that element of coaching, and thus teams that wil play their first game since january 3rd in the first round of the FC have not gotten there on a level playing field.

That's not nonsense, that's common sense.

'carefully' as in never play DP/claw/RSC teams? Have many hours available to play maybe thousands of games. to build teams. Have the time to wait patiently for the perfectly ripened cherry? Smile

If winning is important enough to you then you can do that just as you could have taken the time off to play on the birthday. How is the playing field ever going to be level?

The rules allow building the biggest team that you can. So people play to rules.

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2008 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:

In other words, we need to focus on pressing for measures to ensure this doesn't happen again in the future, and perhaps on measures to minimise the effects in the present.

I totally disagree with you, Pac. The birthday was fun, I played a few (3 maybe) games, enjoyed my crazy mutations and safe skill roll on my (now long deceased) witch elf. It was a bit of variety, short lived and fun.

You are calling for that sort of thing to never happen again, because a few people abused it. People will always abuse the system, without fail. No matter what the system is, there are personalities (particularily online) who do their best to take advantage of it. Be it picking, avoiding 'dangerous' teams, or elfballing, people will always do it.

Your call for this to not happen again just takes the variety and fun away from those of us (probably the large majority) who enjoyed a few games on the birthday. The powergamers will still be there, powergaming in their own way.

Let them powergame, rather then put blanket rules over everyone in an attempt to get them to stop. If it makes you happy, they are probably the personalities who are most disappointed when they lose games, so go with Jan's suggestion and beat on em when you get the chance, it'll piss them off extra! Very Happy

Fiz
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2008 - 09:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Playing on birthdays isn`t that much of a problem. Not playing afterwards is.

Therefore simply make it a rule, that a team has to play 3 games after the birthday for each game played on the birthday in order to be accepted.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2008 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Fizban wrote:
pac wrote:

In other words, we need to focus on pressing for measures to ensure this doesn't happen again in the future, and perhaps on measures to minimise the effects in the present.

I totally disagree with you, Pac. The birthday was fun, I played a few (3 maybe) games, enjoyed my crazy mutations and safe skill roll on my (now long deceased) witch elf. It was a bit of variety, short lived and fun.

You are calling for that sort of thing to never happen again, because a few people abused it. People will always abuse the system, without fail. No matter what the system is, there are personalities (particularily online) who do their best to take advantage of it. Be it picking, avoiding 'dangerous' teams, or elfballing, people will always do it.

Your call for this to not happen again just takes the variety and fun away from those of us (probably the large majority) who enjoyed a few games on the birthday. The powergamers will still be there, powergaming in their own way.

Let them powergame, rather then put blanket rules over everyone in an attempt to get them to stop. If it makes you happy, they are probably the personalities who are most disappointed when they lose games, so go with Jan's suggestion and beat on em when you get the chance, it'll piss them off extra! Very Happy

Fiz

Now you're exaggerating a bit there... It's not censorship, it's just common sense. The "people will always find a way around anything, so why bother to put fences at all???" approach is just wrong. Seeing what works and what doesn't work is sensible, and asking for the removal of what doesn't work is sensible too.

Just make the birthday mutations + BHs only. But don't take ageing away.
This will work and will prevent teams from becoming too uber as well.