77 coaches online • Server time: 23:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Paragon

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2009 - 06:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm curious if any coaches out there have had any success in rebuilding a [B] team after it has been severely maimed. This curiosity is prompted by my Nurgle's Rotters team, which is currently in a state of disrepair after meeting an opponent with some seriously lucky CAS dice.

Of course, the "smart" thing to do would be to retire a team that will only be able to field four players in its next match. However, since the team has some history after playing 70 games, there's a little voice telling me that I should attempt the recovery.

Last edited by Paragon on %b %29, %2009 - %06:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
blizzt95

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2009 - 06:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends on how much you really want to keep the team.

Blackbox isn't an easy league (which is why I haven't played it much), so games aren't going to be easy.

However, you have a 137/94 rating. The bot is set up to get you matches that are similar, and any Blackbox team with that rating would also be looking to recover, or be a complete rookie team most likely. Otherwise, it just won't schedule you.

Another thing to consider is that you have a good fan factor of 16. If you estimate your next opponents FF at 9-10, then you're looking at +3 to winnings, maybe +4. It might take three games or so, but it's possible.

Then again, I don't play it much, so I have no idea. Wink
Pjj

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2009 - 06:26 Reply with quote Back to top

My Amazon Team got pretty wrecked for the second time, and I'm about to start rebuilding again. Last time I only really needed one serious rebuilding match, and it looked like this

That being said, I have tons of blackbox teams and I don't like retiring so I try and rebuild when feasible (more fun and who cares about coach rating).

The main problem with rebuilding teams is that you get a big TR/TS disparity. Which means it's hard to get games, especially games that are actually fair. There's about three kinds of opponents you'll probably see: fouling stunty teams, things like ogres that naturally tend to have a high TR relative to TS, and other teams missing some players. Hope for the last.

That being said, your rotters are pretty roughed up. You're gonna be so outnumbered that if you run into a merciless fouler you'll be in trouble.

But give it a go! Worst that happens is you lose a few matches and end up restarting anyways. Best case you rebuild and have a team with more character and history then a boring restart.[/url]
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2009 - 06:41 Reply with quote Back to top

As a fellow Rotter coach, I vote that you keep on rotting in the free world

You've brought them to 70, next must be 100 right?

Maximizing infest potential might be a way. Multiple Beast blocks, and fouls?

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
Kryten

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2009 - 06:50
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

My Wood Elves were utterly destroyed twice, and have been recovered both times.

The first time I had 6 niggles on the team after a sequence of disasters involving Plorg and Wreckage. I rebuilt them to 200+TR with 180k banked.

The second time I hit a pretty tragic streak of apo failures and eventually had to yank apo support from Aeon Flux to get her off the team so that it could be rebuilt. At that point, she was the only positional in a group of low skilled linos.

It is definitely possible to recover teams in [B], if you are willing to suffer the pain.
treborius

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2009 - 08:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Paragon wrote:
I'm curious if any coaches out there have had any success in rebuilding a [B] team after it has been severely maimed. This curiosity is prompted by my Nurgle's Rotters team, which is currently in a state of disrepair after meeting an opponent with some seriously lucky CAS dice.

Of course, the "smart" thing to do would be to retire a team that will only be able to field four players in its next match. However, since the team has some history after playing 70 games, there's a little voice telling me that I should attempt the recovery.

keep them! \o/

with 137/94 you will definetly be scheduled vs. some other bashed-up teams, just make sure that you also
throw a 100/100 team at the scheduler to ensure that it's not getting matched vs. fresh teams...

...giving away 2 hcs, you should get matched vs. TS
=approx. 84, hopefully

ff=16 also helps with rebuilding Smile

EDIT: as you add new Beasts to your team you might want to drop a RR or two until you're up to 11 players, again Wink
this ensures, that you keep getting matched with not too bashy teams while you're still rebuilding
Eghost

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2009 - 08:31 Reply with quote Back to top

more likely you'll be scheduled vs ogres....
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2009 - 08:34 Reply with quote Back to top

My woodies had some really tough matches. They got 5 players killed on one match or lost 4 on two other matches. They recovered fine. Though woodies can play outnumbered easier and they were more evenly skilled. Your 100+SPP rotter really hurts.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2009 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

That would be a fun test. Such "coming back from hell" stories gives a soul to a team. That's worth considering it!

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2009 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

My Rats have been on the brink a few times and have always recovered.

Once you TS drops to armound 100, you start playing unskilled teams anyway, so the rebuild gets easier.
Lomack

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2009 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

my B dwarf team has been maimed recently.

i just dropped a few rerolls (having 6 was useless when I had 4 dwarves facing an full ogre team - no plays I could usefully use the RR for)

so I'll be around looking for matchups too - maybe will face your nurgle team.
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2009 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to recovery then be prepared to play in a boring way perhaps. As a fellow nurgle rotter coach I know how easy a rotter team falls apart.
Some few rules:
Dont stand up unless you can free your players
Dont make any GFI at all unless you have a RR
Dont foul at all. If you do foul the other coach will also foul. I dont think that many coaches will start to foul the hell out of you if you dont foul.
You dont want to start a fouling war, you are only going to lose it.
Drop Ilmarinen. He is an too expensive rotter for your team.
Dont retire niglers unless they have 3skills or more. Put them on the LOS.
Also Put your rookie rotters on the LOS too.
Dont put your Beast on the LOS, you need it to atleast make some blocs and hope for a kill to get a Rotter
Maybe drop 1RR, but they also cost a lot to get. So your choice.

When you are back on 11players, I would wait until your have more. Then begin to drop some of the suggetions, to then I suggest you follow them.
By 70games you have properbly learned to live without the APO, so i would guess you already more or less know most of the suggestions I have giving.

And good luck with your team, you are gonna need it Smile
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2009 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the Ogre thing with the TS is a bit messed up IMO. They arent weak, or even tough to win with once you get enough skilled ones on the pitch...
treborius

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2009 - 08:15 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak wrote:
Yeah, the Ogre thing with the TS is a bit messed up IMO. They arent weak, or even tough to win with once you get enough skilled ones on the pitch...

did you know, they can get the usual meaningful skills (block, tackle, dodge, pass, dp) only on doubles?
for normal rolls there's really only bt and guard, the rest is mostly pretty useless Sad
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2009 - 09:47 Reply with quote Back to top

but did you know, that many races cannot get a 2d block on an ogre squard, due to mass guard/ST5? That means that they have to start dodging right away, which is more unreliable, than your blockless 2d block.
 Jump to: