18 coaches online • Server time: 04:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2010 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Right about now a number of folks who are disgruntled with the Cyanide effort to reproduce BB are finding their way to fummbl. When they get here it could look a little daunting, and let's face it dated. Finding the old client through subversive means is a challenge and it is an older rule book that what they have tried.

That said, I strongly believe at the top of the main page there should be a welcome with a description of the new client, along with a quick blurb on getting registered, creating a team, accessing chat, and starting to play. The new client is the future of fumbbl so we need to embrace new players with it and get them onboard. I'd hate to think some are coming and being scared away or simply leaving because they don't see the option for the new client. I realize the client is still in beta, but it is extremely stable and very playable, especially compared to the Cyanide option.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2010 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes I agree totally with this, it took me nearly two years from me joining to playing my first game, because of the lack of an easy way in

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2010 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree, if a paid game is shedding fan base left and right we should try and welcome them into the comunity. its hard the first few times out here especially if your first 10 games are against some vets and then can be very discouraging. we want to try and keep the conversions up and active once they have joined.
Grim04

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2010 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

New client?

I'm still using the old one... is there a difference?
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2010 - 01:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Grim04 wrote:
New client?

Yes, the new one is compliant to LRB6/CRP rules and has all 24 teams. Still some missing skills and minor bugs (see the release notes stickied in this section), but it is way more user-friendly than the previous client and there is no download needed. It is also being constantly developed and improved.

Start up a [d5] team and enjoy!
pongboy84

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2010 - 01:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with needing a push towards the LRB6/CRP rules and new client. If new players and even old vets were inclined to play LRB6 games more bugs would be found and would lead to it being the only version run on this site which should be the goal. So please come join us in the Fumbbl5 room create a team and lets play.
Grim04

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2010 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
Grim04 wrote:
New client?

Yes, the new one is compliant to LRB6/CRP rules and has all 24 teams. Still some missing skills and minor bugs (see the release notes stickied in this section), but it is way more user-friendly than the previous client and there is no download needed. It is also being constantly developed and improved.

Just played a LRB5 team.

The client is awful.

Having to select pass before you move is terrible.

I'll stick with LRB4.
Resarf

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2010 - 02:03 Reply with quote Back to top

lol that's the table top rules. you think it'll take you long to figure it out?

I have not been super involved and only have played a few times but it seems to me it is nearly time to push this client.
cthol

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2010 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

ummm... you do know that in LRB4 rules you should have to declare the pass first as well? that it's just a bug in the java client that allows you do it after? Of course you knew. You read the release notes, right? and the LRB4 rules you got in the box. Of the Game. Which you own... Wink
Luohghcra

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2010 - 02:35 Reply with quote Back to top

heh heh heh

Reading the rules... you crazy crackers!

On a serious note, I think I'd have to agree with WhatBall. Its time for some wider recognition of the ffb client. An easier to find 'startup' section would also be immensely helpful

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2010 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Grim04 wrote:
WhatBall wrote:
Grim04 wrote:
New client?

Just played a LRB5 team.

The client is awful.

Having to select pass before you move is terrible.

I'll stick with LRB4.

i am sorry but i have to comment on this.. you are probably going "in what situation would it ever matter if you declared your pass action, before you actually move/pass" if you have not figured it out yet, you will be a permanent noob bye.

back on track, i also think it would be a good idea to make more people including new coaches aware of the new client.
avien

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2010 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with you on this on Whatball, but in the end it's up to Big C Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2010 - 02:18 Reply with quote Back to top

The fact that you wount be able to keep the teams you starting in LRb5 is probably keeping both newbies and oldies away from LRB5 atm. The client is working very fine now. I think maybe fix all team related skills that missing (as I understand it bloodlust is already under work and then its basically decay thats missing?) and then let coaches start teams that wont be removed. Think that would realy kickoff the LRB5 activity.
RedDevilCG

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2010 - 03:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Some truth to that for sure; about getting teams wiped out.
icedcrow

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2010 - 03:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I still play the Cyanide version. However, I came here because of the reputation and I love the game, so, the more leagues the merrier right? Wink I'm going to be messing with the LBR5 because that's what I prefer. Look forward to seeing some of you on the pitch.
 Jump to: