58 coaches online • Server time: 22:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
uuni

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2010 - 22:44 Reply with quote Back to top

uuni wrote:
12) Possible Ball Bounce (Strip Ball, p47 or Knocked Down/Placed Prone, p11)
13) If Knocked Down, then Placed Prone and make the armour roll (p11, Mighty Blow p46, Piling On p46, Claw p44)
14) If armour roll successful then stunned and make the injury roll (p11, as addition to above: Niggling Injuries p25, Stunty p47, Thick Skull p48)
15) If casualty from injury roll, casualty roll (p25)
16) Possible use of Apothecary (p17)
17) Regeneration roll with the skill (Regeneration p46)
18.) Apply the Casualty or Knocked Out result and possibly remove the player from the pitch to appropriate place in the dug-out. (p11, p17)
19) Sequence ends.

Oops, my mistake. Ball bouncing should come after the player's armour and injury rolls (if any) are fully resolved (p11). That means that my earlier point 12) should go after the point 18.)
Thomcat

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2010 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

RandomOracle wrote:
Wreckage wrote:
[hm... th<t may not be very constructive but i notice by this conversation that fend doesn't only have almost no benefitial effect, it is also pretty easy to counter. Man does that suck ... Smile

Fend stops opponents from following up, stops frenzy, and stops piling on. That's not beneficial?

As for juggernaut, we'll have to wait and see how often it gets taken. It does sound like a good skill for a dedicate blitzer, but they have other good skills to take as well (block, tackle, MB, claw, PO, frenzy).

Well Even WITH Juggernaut Fend is only Negated on a BLITZ. Therefore a 11 men team with block and fend is sure not to be PO more than once per turn.

And actually after having played a few games with fend. What people misses is the part on normal blocks that free´s the Fend guy. This means free movement for the low ag linos - since often there will be noone next to them at the start of next turn.

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2010 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Thomcat wrote:

Well Even WITH Juggernaut Fend is only Negated on a BLITZ. Therefore a 11 men team with block and fend is sure not to be PO more than once per turn.

And actually after having played a few games with fend. What people misses is the part on normal blocks that free´s the Fend guy. This means free movement for the low ag linos - since often there will be noone next to them at the start of next turn.

Yeah and its especially great if you get knocked down, ie had no chance to block back. You can of course choose not to use fend as well if the situation means that would be to your advantage.
Malmir

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2010 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

God I'm so confused - going to get totally owned when we switch

PainState wrote:
Kinks wrote:
Grab?

Nice one Kinks...Sidestep negates Grab and Grab negates fend.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2010 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll definitely try fend on my dwarven longbeards as a second skill after guard. Should be quite useful since I get a lot of more mobility. Even if a the longbeard ist knocked down, he can still choose where to move his on square left after standing up - pretty important difference especially with guard.
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2010 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Thomcat wrote:

If you're playing a retard maybe? >.>

Fend is just useless. Doesnt help most of the time and counterered by 2 other skills itself.

Oh, and suggesting it stops people POing your player - well so does taking kick return, because why would I PO a player thats got useless skill picks? Smile
HLY

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2010 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

fend really isn't a useless skill - unless you play a game where ball tactics are banned.

the value of your opponent NOT being stood next to you is great - especialy on a blodger as they don;t go down all that often. It means that your free to reposition your player where they could be most effective (guard and fend anyone?) and also means you can hang near the sidliens against a frenzy player - and prevents those really annoying 2+ dodge with a re-roll floorages Rolling Eyes

so yeah, don't discount the skill - it actually pretty useful
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2010 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok I'll bite.

Quote:
the value of your opponent NOT being stood next to you is great

That is not what fend does though - it just stops that individual player from following up. Any competent coach blocks players sideways along the LOS so even on a push they get to block them again with another player. Fend does not stop this without sidestep.. and that is countered by a guy with grab.

Quote:
especialy on a blodger as they don;t go down all that often.

Alright, lets add block and dodge to the player..

Quote:
where they could be most effective (guard and fend anyone?)

.. and guard?

So block dodge fend sidestep, possibly guard too, and youll probably still be knocked over anyway. Good luck getting a team of those.. and when you do Ill have a team of mp/po/tackle with grab or jugger less TV. Razz

Sorry, all these skills just to (sometimes) avoid making a 3+ dodge to reposition the player? No, fend is just a pooly designed skill like many others in lrb5+
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2010 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir wrote:
God I'm so confused - going to get totally owned when we switch

PainState wrote:
Kinks wrote:
Grab?

Nice one Kinks...Sidestep negates Grab and Grab negates fend.

You'll be absolutely fine. Ten games with these skills floating around to get into new habits, max. Don't overestimate how the game changes. Good coaches will remain good, it's tweaks to your game you'll need; not major surgery.

I sort of agree with Britty on Fend. I say sort of; obviously he overstates it to humourous forum effect. It's not a skill for me, to be honest.
Carnis

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2010 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Funny you're making comments having not played a single game with fend Wink.

It's agreeable not the hottest of skills, but definedly has a role on some players. Mainly if you're a lineman type with nothing better to pick (norse, thrall etc) OR to cancel piling on.

Most of the time fend is indeed useless on the LOS, but that's not where fend is supposed to be used. You use fend to tag players in critical positions in such a way that the pushback WILL set you free.

With the mobility from fend you can usually choose where your sacrificial fend-lineman goes to die Wink. The best way to counter a MB/PO big guy is to stick a blodge-fender next to it. If you go down, he still doesnt get to PO and he certainly won't dodge away.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2010 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Whomever you're talking to Carnis - and it's not clear instantly (although, I assume Britty?) - any contributor could have played many games with Fend. Just not here. Perhaps he's a closet TT addict?
Carnis

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2010 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

ye, assumed there wouldn't be a post in between, but you were quick to react Wink.

Maybe he is indeed a closet TT addict, yea, but it's not a wild guess to assume he hasn't seen it in action as it took over 2 years for anybody to pick it in our closet-TT-circles.
asharak

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2010 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I've used it! Quite nice sometimes. Useless others :p
It will result in you not haing to make dodges sometimes - not always a spare player to step in and mark your fender. Which is nice. More useful is when it stops their guard getting into a better position in a scrum. Negating PO is just a wee extra as far as I'm concerned.

I'd say its not a tier 1 skill but neither is it useless. *shrug* so basically it fits in with most of the skills around...

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2010 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Alibaba wrote:
so... true killer player is player with...

Claw, mb, po, juggernaut, block, tackle and Grab ?

basicly yea and ST5 and tentacles
James_Probert

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2010 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

tragedy4you wrote:
Alibaba wrote:
so... true killer player is player with...

Claw, mb, po, juggernaut, block, tackle and Grab ?

basicly yea and ST5 and tentacles

well, as we all know, that's do able...

you just need to start with a nurgle beast!