27 coaches online • Server time: 01:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2010 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:

6. People were told early on that there was a high probability of a team wipe.
7. The team of staff agree on that a clearing of teams is the best way to go.

This. +1
regn

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2010 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
1. There have been a lot of matches played where people have simply tested things and not played properly.
3. A number of early bugs pushed through some strange results.

As an active FFB player I got to say that I rarely, if ever, see any significant anomalies among FFB teams. If the worst thing that happens is that Tooks n Hooks av11 treeman gets to live on then surely that isn't a problem?

Quote:

2. The division has not been running with competitive rules. Dropped matches have been frequent, and staff has not acted on those drops in the way they would in competitive divisions.
5. Matches have been lost due to critical bugs.

These things wouldn't matter though if there was an L division for FFB where people could play casually, rather than competing in a B/R system

Quote:
4. Bugs have been around that added or subtracted winnings / injuries to teams.

Again, surely this has been a marginal phenomenon at worst?

Quote:
6. People were told early on that there was a high probability of a team wipe.

True

Quote:
7. The team of staff agree on that a clearing of teams is the best way to go.

This surely is not a reason in itself, but rather just a conclusion reached from the previous points?

Basically, I just wish that the current FFB teams were kept around so that those of us who don't play on fumbbl for ranking/bragging rights can still have casual games with other coaches using teams we've grown to like. There can't be any harm in that, can there?

edit: this is all assuming there will be a [L] division for FFB. If so - then I don't get why the current teams cant be kept around. And if there won't be an L division then uh... I guess I'll get me coat vCrying or Very sadv

Last edited by regn on %b %14, %2010 - %23:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2010 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

regn wrote:

Basically, I just wish that the current FFB teams were kept around so that those of us who don't play on fumbbl for ranking/bragging rights can still have casual games with other coaches using teams we've grown to like.

Because you can't do this with a new team?
regn

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2010 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
regn wrote:

Basically, I just wish that the current FFB teams were kept around so that those of us who don't play on fumbbl for ranking/bragging rights can still have casual games with other coaches using teams we've grown to like.

Now if you'll re-read that sentence, all the way through...
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2010 - 23:53 Reply with quote Back to top

regn wrote:
pythrr wrote:
regn wrote:

Now if you'll re-read that sentence, all the way through...

Oh yes reading Very Happy

Last edited by Mr_Foulscumm on %b %14, %2010 - %23:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Christer

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2010 - 23:53
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Sure, feel free to dissect and respond to the reasons all you want. I have been hearing what you guys have been saying, and in the end I had to make a call. This is truly what I believe is best for as many people as possible. As I stated many times before: I simply can't make everyone happy.

I'm fully aware that this decision will put some people off, even to a point where they leave the site. That's not something I can help, since regardless of the choices and calls I make in how to migrate, some people will be upset. In an ideal world, we wouldn't had to go through such an extended beta period. It's just how it goes sometimes and I can only do what I believe is best for the site in the long term. I assure you it hasn't been an easy decision to make and I've been putting a LOT of effort and thought into it. This is, of course, in addition to doing the pretty hard work of actually making things work at all in the first place.

Anyway, this is getting long-winded, so I better stop Smile
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2010 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

regn...

one person is not a statistic...

not to mention the division has been playing without any sort of restrictions whatsoever, and to push those existing teams into a forced restrictive(TV based) competitive division, seems a little ludicrous, don't you think?....

--j

ImageImage
regn

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2010 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
Sure, feel free to dissect and respond to the reasons all you want. I have been hearing what you guys have been saying, and in the end I had to make a call. This is truly what I believe is best for as many people as possible. As I stated many times before: I simply can't make everyone happy.

I'm fully aware that this decision will put some people off, even to a point where they leave the site. That's not something I can help, since regardless of the choices and calls I make in how to migrate, some people will be upset. In an ideal world, we wouldn't had to go through such an extended beta period. It's just how it goes sometimes and I can only do what I believe is best for the site in the long term. I assure you it hasn't been an easy decision to make and I've been putting a LOT of effort and thought into it. This is, of course, in addition to doing the pretty hard work of actually making things work at all in the first place.

Anyway, this is getting long-winded, so I better stop Smile

Real sad to hear it. Yes, I probably will be one of those leaving the site due to the wipe. I wish you the best of luck with the development of fumbbl, I've had a lot of fun here. It's just a shame that you won't reconsider what is a really bad call.
regn

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2010 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
regn...

one person is not a statistic...

not to mention the division has been playing without any sort of restrictions whatsoever, and to push those existing teams into a forced restrictive(TV based) competitive division, seems a little ludicrous, don't you think?....

--j

This is why I ask for them to be pushed into the new L, which for most intents ant purposes is not a competitive division but rather a place for people to hang out and play casually with whoever/whenever they want.
James_Probert

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2010 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

regn wrote:
This is why I ask for them to be pushed into the new L, which for most intents ant purposes is not a competitive division but rather a place for people to hang out and play casually with whoever/whenever they want.

Excuse me....

Some of us consider [L] to be the most competitive division one the site.

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

um...
no regn...

[L] is a highly competitive division...yes, there are leagues of friends who play against each other a bunch of times for giggles....but some of the strongest competitive tournaments on the site are in [L]...WIL/WIBBL/SWL/Orca-Cola series....

it's not a division exclusively for "hanging out" or to "play casually with whoever/whenever they want" or however you want to put it....

also, i think i can safely say i'm not the only coach here who has used the "retire to league division" as a means to keep a team on my coach page, without retiring it....but truth be told, even doing that is a retirement of sorts..i've been here for 7 years next week, and i can't recall the last time i actually used one of my ranked teams that was transferred to league...the teams that i did that with are as good as retired...the only benefit i get from keeping them there is 1 less team that i can create towards my 30 team limit...

but here's a hint, since you're so scared of losing all of that "hard work" you put into building that team......you should try the "show retired teams" link from time to time...

--j

ImageImage
regn

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
um...
it's not a division exclusively for "hanging out" or to "play casually with whoever/whenever they want" or however you want to put it....

So I suppose this sort of casual play has no place on the site then?
(No, this is not a rhetorical question. I'm honestly asking)

Quote:
also, i think i can safely say i'm not the only coach here who has used the "retire to league division" as a means to keep a team on my coach page, without retiring it....but truth be told, even doing that is a retirement of sorts..i've been here for 7 years next week, and i can't recall the last time i actually used one of my ranked teams that was transferred to league...the teams that i did that with are as good as retired...the only benefit i get from keeping them there is 1 less team that i can create towards my 30 team limit...

I honestly don't know what you're trying to say here exactly. I play with a loose collection of friends who don't like the cut throat stalling, fouling and winning at all cost that permeates [R] so we all used [L] teams to get away from that and have a chance to play each other, before we all started playing FFB

Quote:

but here's a hint, since you're so scared of losing all of that "hard work" you put into building that team......you should try the "show retired teams" link from time to time...

--j

Again, I don't know what point you're trying to make. I haven't used the term "hard work" so please don't quote me as if I have. As for checking out retired teams, I don't see the point? I have lots of retired teams which I have ditched because I didn't enjoy playing with them, but I don't see what bearing that has on anything I've written.
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really see the downside of allowing current FFB teams to transfer to [L]. Private league admins can always decide not to accept those teams to their competitive leagues.
regn

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

RandomOracle wrote:
I don't really see the downside of allowing current FFB teams to transfer to [L]. Private league admins can always decide not to accept those teams to their competitive leagues.

This is my thoughs exactly, but since Christer has made it clear that he won't reconsider I guess it's pointless try to to make this (otherwise obvious) case.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

RandomOracle wrote:

I also fail to see the problem.