52 coaches online • Server time: 00:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you time out an opponent?
Yes if they were consistently slow.
20%
 20%  [ 34 ]
Yes, but only if I'd warned them first.
38%
 38%  [ 65 ]
Yes if they went over, just once, for even a second.
17%
 17%  [ 29 ]
No I wouldn't, but I've no strong view on it.
8%
 8%  [ 15 ]
No and I'd consider it unsporting.
14%
 14%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 168

Malmir

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Haven't noticed a recent thread on this so apologise if I missed it.

In the new ffb client there is an option to time out your opponent if they go over four minutes. I've already heard of a couple of examples of this being done to win the game i.e. oppo not finished turn and then person who timed them out being able to score or prevent them scoring affecting the overall result. Just wondered where people stand on this. One exmaple given to be by an opponent involved a longstanding coach who had seemed to be having a friendly game. They'd been chatting and when the guy I spoke to took over four minutes for his turn as he was responding to chat the longstanding coach timed him out straight away and won the game as a result. In this instance he hadn't been generally slow and there had been no previous discussion about time. Personally for me this is unsporting, but I wondered what others felt.

In a seperate point I heard there had been an issue of people being timed out by opponents through no fault of their own when their has been a disconnection. Anyone know if this is a)true? b)been fixed? as this could ruin tournaments in the hands of unscrupulous players.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

In a seperate point I heard there had been an issue of people being timed out by opponents through no fault of their own when their has been a disconnection

I have seen this but only in ffb not the box. The game I saw this in someone selected time out when their opponent had dropped from the game. It was just to finish the game off and didnt effect the score but I still though it was pretty dodgy. I dunno if this can still be done.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Unless there´s been a disconnect I´d push that timeoutbutton in a heartbeat.
Nothing worse than sitting through a slow game.
If someone can´t finish a turn while chatting mabye it´s time to chat during the opponents turn.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I can't really find the answer I'm looking for in your poll.
I'd time him out if he is "just" slow because he spends too much time on thinking. I'd not time him out if I have reason to believe he missed some time due to a disconnect and I'd neither time him out if he told me in advance that he'd be away for some minutes. Believe this to be the truest interpretation of the purpose of the rules.
James_Probert

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

As a general rule, I'd warn em once, unless they're being an idiot.

I'd let it slide if they have told me their phone's gone off or something urgent
I'd be more likely to push the button in league/tournament matches though.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I would warn. I think there is a bit of a contract to setting up a game. If you need to run to the washroom, you shouldn't lose as a result, timing you out is a jerk move in that case. But if you are upsetting my wife as a result of the game taking twice as long as I told her it would, you are being the jerk (even if that's not your intention). I'm sure I would reach a point were I'd hit it, but I would warn.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm good points Wreckage - yes but warned first prob fits closest but not a greaty match I agree
f_alk

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

The time needs to start only after the turn marker has been moved, or in the client the first action is declared.
And there has been a similar thread to this, in one of the FFB sections.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I have had the 'time-out' bell come up twice during my Blackbox games, neither time did I use it. The first time was a server crash when for some reason when we got back in game my opponents clock had kept running. The second time my opponent said he was going afk, so his time ran out. I do not have a problem with either of these situations.

However, if I am playing a slow player and he goes over 4-5 minutes, then I will politely ask him to try and finish his turn within 4 minutes. If he goes over my a few seconds, then I don't, but if turn 2 drifts well past and the turn 3 reaches the 4 minute mark and he has not moved half his team, then I will probably hit the time out button.

For crashes and AFK's I don't think the button should be used, but people playing slowly regularly should get used to their turn being ended so that they get used to the time limit that is in front of them.
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

If we chat during both players turns, I would not.
Friendly atmosphere and fun game I would not

If they use 2mins for 1 player I would.
If they irritate me I would
If it means I can prevent them from making a TD or gain an advantage, yes I would (unless friendly atmosphere with talk or stated they will be AFK)

But else it is state that you are only allowed 4mins per turn on page 7 in the rulebook. It is like DP and fouling, still people get angry about if you RIP foul a player but it is part of the game. This is just started as you are only allowed 4mins. So cant see much to talk about. The other coached followed the rulebook, so live with it.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
The first time was a server crash when for some reason when we got back in game my opponents clock had kept running.....For crashes and AFK's I don't think the button should be used

I think this is a really important point. If someone drops from the game the timer neeeds to stop this could cause big problems for people and lead to big arguements.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

if an opponent is playing in my opinion too slowly i usually politely ask if they can play a little faster
this is usually sufficient for most coaches to speed up a little
if someone reacted badly to my request i'd time them out the next time
and if someone was still playing too slowly i'd warn them and then time them out
in league or tournament play it would very much depend on circumstances but i think i'd be up front and warn my opponent before the game that i'd time them out if they played too slowly.
obviously if an opponent has real life issues and says something in chat before taking too long or if its obvious they have left for some reason i wouldn't time them out
though if i felt someone was taking the mickey i'd time them out.
it's the golden rule really don't time out someone if you'd be annoyed given the reversed situation
if i had to leave for real life mentioned it in chat and got timed out it'd leave a pretty sour taste.
f_alk

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Ehlers wrote:
But else it is state that you are only allowed 4mins per turn on page 7 in the rulebook.

It does so when listing all the things causing the turn to end. It also says on the same page at the very bottom that "then the opposing player may start to take his turn", and earlier on that page it says the coach "must move the Turn marker ... at the start of each and every one of his turns".

The problem is not the end of the turn, but the start of it. By the rules, you can spend 20 minutes analyzing the situation (but doing nothing on the board), before taking your move and your four minutes.
KenThis

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

thinking about it again i played a newish coach in box and first 3 turns went over 4 mins i politely pointed it out and asked him if he could please play faster which he did and then later in game even though he went over 4 mins i refrained from timing him out so it really does depend on situation.
it'd be a pretty douchbag thing to do to time out a newbie when fumbbl should be welcoming as many new players into the fold as possible
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

4 minutes is an eternity to move 11 or fewer players.

Considering how many aspects of this game should be on autopilot like standing up prone players, making the easy rolls 1st, etc... the timeout rule should be in full effect in all competitive divisions.
Though some concessions should be given to real life situations... as mentioned above

Regularly taking more than 4 minutes is bad sportsmanship and violates the rules of the game.
It's about time we have a client that stops the guys that consistently take 4+ Minute turns from doing so all game.
Any strategy you cannot conceive of and execute in 4 whole minutes is your fault and your problem.
If you don't get to set up your cage properly, forget to Blitz, or don't have time left to foul... tough.
There is no need for this game to last over an hour unless there are several Touchdowns or an Overtime.
 Jump to: