27 coaches online • Server time: 06:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity: It clearly fits definition 3.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Clearly if the host know where the ball is, and you pick the wrong one, he will immediately reveal it and you will have lost!

Therefore, he will only reveal another cup that he knows is blank and ask you to choose again if he knows you got it right the first time.

Therefore, don't switch.

Oscar Wilde
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Licker - it really does matter if it is random or not.
Think of the problem with 100 cups and you will realise why the % change is obvious.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 22:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Timlagor, I suppose emphasis is on the word APPARENT then. But since it's a phrasing designed to deceive, I'm not sure that's the same thing. Much like the three men renting the hotel room, there is only an apparent contradiction because of the order and method the information is presented in.

Achilles may as well be: There are infinite fractions and/or decimals between 1 and 2, so you can't count to 2. It's nonsense, and there is no contradiction at all for those who understand.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

@PainState: no, I may start a bit in ranked when box is slow, mainly because the tournaments are intriguing. The worst that can happen here is that Christer says he likes the sked as is, which means I will stop letting teams get over 1500, a will just play more elves in box.

@shadow: I really would have expected you to read a whole thread before dishing out some "shut up.". Perhaps you were too busy being a helpful moderator, which I can appreciate. Your comments feel hollow. My "dog" in the fight is that I'm happy to take a fair share of claw as long as chaos does too. Nobody has proven that this is the case. The closest we've come is the guy who wrote the program said his first idea at a graph looked about right, but has not responded to several questions about possible errors or unknown factors. This may be decisive enough for you and your lackies, but it has led to me and some begging the further question "why not use TV alone, so their is no question." The lack of a coherent argument against this logic thus far is staggering. I am surprised by several coaches comments frankly. I'm sure many are in large part due to not reading the whole thing. I can't really blame them. Keep moderating buddy.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Here is a hint, Murker: Don't lump people who disagree with you into a group, and then criticize them for lack of logic. Assuming that folks are against you because they are Shadows "Lackies" is a logical fallacy.

I like how your logical response to PainState is "I just won't do it." Good, sound, reasoning there.

P.S. I don't like the scheduler as is, which is why I won't play box unless quite bored, or until I can activate multiple Goblin teams with all skills.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Shadow has lackies that act like teenagers. They are against me. I'm pretty certain of that. I waste little time worrying about my popularity here, especially with them. I am also very confident there are many more coaches here, smarter than I, who might not think there is a problem. They may be right. I'm hoping for a conclusive answer, and really hoping for a tv based sked. I've stopped hoping for someone to defend the current scheduler in a well written post. Sorry I didn't put a macavity option in the poll. That's probably why it was locked.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Licker - it really does matter if it is random or not.
Think of the problem with 100 cups and you will realise why the % change is obvious.

Ok, I thought about it.

Still doesn't matter.

How about this! What if it's 2 cups? (and one girl? no... that's not right...)

What changes is your win% (because you changed the rules of the game), not the fact that when he pulls a blank you should switch.

Quote:
Licker, the Achilles (weird name choice) thing is simply nonsense, not a paradox.

Damn those philosophy professors who persist in teaching only nonsense! Your sense of the history of that question is probably lacking. It is one of the classic paradoxes, though often rephrased, but the idea is still the same.

The other 'usual' way it's phrased (without mythological greeks or tortoises) is as follows:

In order to move any distance, you first have to move half that distance, then you have to move half of the remaining distance, then half of that distance, and so on... So how does anything ever get anywhere?

Well obviously we know that things get places, but the logic in the construct is valid none the less. The solutions are not as trivial as some of you may think they are. And really 'solution' is not quite the right term either.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

You can accuse Shadow of having lackies (or lackeys) all you want., but assuming that is the reason people disagree with you is not the thing to say while criticizing others for being illogical.

Also, Shadow doesn't have lackeys. His got to be the least liked administrative type on the site. You are more likely to have support for disagreeing with him than the opposite, everything else being equal.

I, on the otherhand, have many lackeys and can send you a job application should you desire!

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

So any valid but false statement is a paradox, Licker? The philosophy professor who raised me would disagree, but I suppose this is becoming a semantic argument....

The 'solution', right term or not, is that your logic can be valid, but if a premise is false, the conclusion will be to. Not something I need a cute story too grasp, personally.

/sigh where is BadMrMojo when you need him?

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 23:34
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

This thread has long since gone off topic. Locking to prevent further flaming and trolling.
 Jump to: