43 coaches online • Server time: 13:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Marcellus

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2012 - 22:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I would also be interested in set or two . . .
duckysnu

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2012 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in for at least 2 sets
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2012 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Hooray for the front page dice!

(pic links to Kalimar's blog)
Christer

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2012 - 11:57
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, they finally arrived Smile

These three dice Kalimar posted is three of a total run of 12 dice made in a prototype run. SunDevil took on the project and got in touch with me about this. Whatball, sorted out cleaner versions of the images for each side of the die (for those of you who don't know, Whatball made the image on the front page and is the designer of the dice).

After some scouting work by SunDevil, he found a company who claimed they could make the dice (you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find someone able to do multiple colours on a single side). I personally covered the $100 cost for the prototype run of 12 dice ($8 per die, plus shipping). SunDevil took care of the international shipping cost to me, Whatball and Kalimar (thank you SunDevil!).

The current status is that we are waiting for the remaining shipment to get to the destination (for some reason, Whatball's dice are the slowest despite being closest to the sender address).

Once this has shown up, we are in contact with the manufacturer about colour details (the prototype dice use custom colours which would end up increasing the cost significantly in a full run).

Once the colour thing is dealt with, the plan is to set up a kickstarter project to fund the manufacturing of these dice. The kickstarter thing is simply because we need to raise around $8000 to reach a price point that is reasonable. Our ballpark price here for a set of three dice is on the order of $20 to $25, shipped. Note that this is not entirely final at this time due to the remaining decision on colours.

Anyway, we are continuing the work on this, and hope to have something further to announce soon (as in within a couple of weeks).

To finish off this long post, I'll give you an additional image of the dice:

Electric_Wizard

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2012 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

They're beautiful (And I still want some Very Happy).

I'm just curious, are the symbols "printed" on or are they carved in and then "filled" with colour? Hope you get what I mean... Because I can't figure it out through the pictures.
Cribbleobblepie

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2012 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll back a set on Kickstarer for sure!

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2012 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow really nice! They seem 'carved in' to me... and I'd like to have a set, too Smile
noobie2k7

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2012 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I have very little money to myself these days but i'd be willing to back you some dolla on kickstarter Very Happy

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2012 - 12:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't play tabletop, but these dice are hot.

Is there a way to tell the pushes apart? (I don't mean the image, more the position on the dice, including the direction of the arrow)

Then I could just use them as awesome looking d6.
Garion

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2012 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Kickstarter FTW great dice. They are reeaalll sexy.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2012 - 12:50
FUMBBL Staff

@Igvy
One push is pointing at the skulls chin, the other isn't, so you could distinguish that way. Depends on your game I suppose. It'd be annoying for ludo, but I play Shadowrun and with dice pools and target numbers so only 1s, 5s and 6s matter. Ideal! Smile
polemarch

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2012 - 12:54 Reply with quote Back to top

do they roll lots of triple skulls?

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2012 - 12:57
FUMBBL Staff

Quick answers:

1. The design is etched into the die, and is slightly sunk in. You can see a hint of this in the POW icon in my image. The image also shows a slight hint of the slightly rough surface produced by the etching process. Look closely at the skull in the pow/skull facing forward in the image. This roughness is not a compression artifact. You'll also notice it on the push arrow pointing up. The depression is not exactly "filled in", but painted. The layer of paint is not thick enough to build back the depression from the etching.

2. The arrows are identical, and I seem to remember that they both point towards the skull side (although I don't have the dice in front of me atm and I'd have to verify this if it's important). You could, however, separate the two simply by looking if it points towards the bottom of the skull side, or the top.

3. The layout of the dice is compliant with traditional D6es, with Pow=6, Skull=1, etc. Curiously, standard Blood Bowl block dice are not using this layout. Instead they oppose pow to push/pow and oppose skull with both down.

4. To get these manufactured, we will need people to pledge a total of somewhere around 400 sets of dice, or the equivalent amount of money. We may add limited non-dice-related parts to the kickstarter project to improve the probability of successful funding. This is, as you may imagine, also uncertain at this point (and I am open for ideas if you have them).
Christer

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2012 - 12:57
FUMBBL Staff

polemarch wrote:
do they roll lots of triple skulls?

My first roll was skull, skull, both down. You decide Smile
eldritchfox

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2012 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd certainly pledge on kickstarter for 2 sets.
 Jump to: