17 coaches online • Server time: 07:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Pact/Renegades metagoto Post killing by fun?goto Post Raising a Thrall wit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RobRoyDuncan

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2012 - 04:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, the one time I've conceded a game without an approved reason (my opponent killing my best guy I played through, but him taunting me about it made me decide I didn't want to play him anymore) they locked my account, so that I had to talk to an admin before I could play another game. Now, once I spoke to the admin on IRC, he basically went through that spiel with me, but it was a little more intrusive than simply sending me a message.
Corvidius

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2012 - 04:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Sillysod, I don't concede often but as the main factor for me of playing the game is enjoyment I look at the concession rules from that point of view. What benefit does a coach get from conceding and retiring a team? Half an hour he could spend not getting beat up without enjoyment. Smile

Also, there's the competitive factor, if the team has been broken too much, if I concede and retire it then I can play a game that is competitive. So in that case I have gained time in which to play a game that fits the spirit of a competitive division.

Like I say, I don't concede a lot but I can certainly understand the value of my time and enjoyment. The opponent gains an extra MVP and winnings but loses out on potential spps from casualties, passing and touchdowns which is fair enough I think. Very Happy

In game reasons for conceding are obvious for casualties. For being drastically outplayed, I'd imagine no team likes being laughed at by the audience or might want to get a headstart from the murdering their fans will try when the game ends.

Edit: 340 games played, conceded twice and been conceded against 6 times. Not a major issue.

Last edited by Corvidius on %b %14, %2012 - %16:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Igvy

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2012 - 05:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Sambojin wrote:
Actually, for those that never have conceded, here's how the admins handle it:

<Msg from Harvestmouse>

Hi,

this match was conceded illegally <insert game url that sambojin conceded irresponsibly>

Please watch this in future and make sure you know the site rules,

HM

Not exactly that scary is it? Not a ban-hammer of doom. Just a polite little note. They probably get better if you do it again, but it's still not exactly scary.

To tell you the truth, I'd probably be quite happy to receive a msg like this at any time. Especially if it allowed me to somehow leverage a tactical option in BB or to ensure that I can continue sexual relations with the missus.

I probably need all the help and polite notes I can get in both areas.

I wouldn't expect a note the second time.

I totally agree with the rules and how the admins are currently implementing them.

This is the most fun solution, without being too strict, and without pissing everybody off.

As for conceding to retire the team. This is because you don't care anymore. You are done. Hell you might not play again for months.
Should you finish the game? Probably, is it reasonable to expect the masses to do so? No.
They just admitted total defeat; and all you want to do is rub it in more?
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2012 - 06:01 Reply with quote Back to top

oh jesus christ, is it that time of the month again?

--j

ImageImage
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2012 - 06:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't blame deities! Wink
Foad

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2012 - 07:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I just did a count... In 850+ games, I've conceded 12 times and received 10 concessions. By that count, it should be about 1 in 40.

It's been 138 games since I last got a concession though. It's also been 248 since I last conceded a match...

That's a huge drop in concessions, and I can put it down to 4 reasons:

* I've become a better player, and haven't been pantsed for a long time.
* I'm becoming a more tolerable opponent, and keeping my in-game obnoxiousness to a minimum.
* I've actually read the FUMBBL ToS.
* CPOMB makes for more balanced games than DP+2, no Journeyen, GTR & ClawRSCMulti.

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2012 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I think I did have to chat to an admin. I forget if I msg'd him back or just did a quick irc chat. Said why I left the game, he said ok, don't do it again. Might have got a quick ban, but was sorted after that. My world didn't end, my BB skills didn't improve either. Fair enough. I think this was when I was pretty new to the game, and the admins like to make sure new players know the expected rules and conduct so that the Fumbbl community doesn't end up being a pack of arse-wipes. It seems to work pretty well.

I've found the admins to be pretty professional in the sense of both fixing up any errors (no-shows for [b] games, etc) as well as policing the can't concede "unless your team's balls dropped off" policy. As well as random irc shennanigans.

I'm not trying to be sycophantic here. But if you are trying to leverage the concede rule to save a few good star players, expect a msg and a quick ban. Explain simply and quickly why it happened, ban disappears. If you do it regularly, expect a longer ban and a less polite message. But if it's for "normal" reasons, be they real-life gametime negators or team-stomped issues, and if they don't occur too regularly, I don't think anyone would have a problem.

btw: I swear the quick ban puts Nuffle's blessing upon thee. Sometimes I can't roll below 5, sometimes barely above 2. It just happens to be one side or the other in any particular game. Nuffle loves rules enforced by people that don't get paid for their time Smile
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2012 - 08:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Don't blame deities! Wink

he wasn't. just mentioning on old dead jewish terrorist, err, freedom fighter.
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2012 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

The actually wording of the rule doesn't really matter at all.

All it really means is that if you concede too much the admins may take an interest.

Even in the moderated/admined cyanide MM league discos/concessions top 10% of games. Non admined leagues are probably much, much worse.

I don't think that we want that kind of situation here.

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2012 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
oh jesus christ, is it that time of the month again?

--j

What about Muhammad?

Let's get this party started.

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2012 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Tbh I look ath it the same as JM rule. It works fine, but I would rather have a sensible rule than a dumb rule enforced sensibly.

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2012 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Did you guys check all your past matches to count out concessions?!?!?
stej

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2012 - 09:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Never give up! Never surrender!
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2012 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Who needs to count? 0 concessions.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
BigBlockTheory

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2012 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I think a possible rule change could be that after a concession is activated, your opponent still has one turn to move, but absolutely no dice rolls allowed ie. no blocks, blitzes, dodges, gfi's or passes etc. but it does take that spite concession out of the equation where a concession is made when your opponent is one square away from a TD and untouchable. By all means, they can still concede, but the opponent can move that one square, score the deserved TD then the game is finished as normal.
 Jump to: