45 coaches online • Server time: 16:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...goto Post 7s for fummbl?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Box intervals should be hourly in offpeak?
Yes
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
No
72%
 72%  [ 60 ]
Don't care
21%
 21%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 83

pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
Frankenstein wrote:
Dalfort wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
smallman wrote:
Seems to be roughly an 8 hour window every day where the box will only trigger maybe 2 times. I'd imagine this window would get heaps more games if it was able to be programmed to only trigger on the hour during this time.

Wait.....this is the period you are active...am I right?

A thought has occurred to me....

\o/ I applaud the subtly of this comment! Smile

I don't know. I find this smallman-bashing a bit tiresome to be honest (no matter how "subtle"). Confused

The rules are flawed - not him.

I find he doesn't get bashed enough to be honest Smile

If the flaw was in the rules these practices would be much more widespread than they are.

Playing only minmaxed Clawpomb teams is a personal choice that ruins the fun of many others and has even by his own admission chased new coaches away from the site.

No, he is flawed for abusing the flawed rules. All mens are flawed. Valar flawgulis!

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Fortis wrote:
Living in the offpeak timezone I know that if I saw "30 minutes to next activation" I would wander off and do something else. Longer activation periods wouldn't make me more likely to activate, it would do quite the opposite.

This is how most nights i set aside time to play end up for me because i'm in PDT (-8 GMT). If I only had 3 chances to get a game I probably wouldn't bother after whiffing on the 2nd.

The other thing that isn't considered is how much this would muck up people who play back to back games - its poor form to schedule a box game while you're mid game, correct? on weekends, if I can swing it, I usually like to play 3-4 games in a row. Making it 2 hours would mean I'd have to wait an additional half hour on average to even attempt a game.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
It already has a timer saying how long to next activation

I think its a good idea, each time activation fails add 15 mins to the timer to a max of 1 hour

How would this help match more people? If I have to dedicate 4 hours to find 1 game in box...

My wife already finds my spur of the moment ad hoc bloodbowling obnoxious. telling her that now theres a 4 hour window to find and play a game...

Do you just not want to play me?
bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

luckyjim12 wrote:
Maybe more people would activate if they could be sure they wouldn't come up against an all-marauder CPOMB team with no re-rolls. Just sayin' Wink

It is much easier to screw the killstack if the team doesn't have any reroll. The above mentioned team is most dangerous with 2 rerolls imho.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I mean, this runs completely counter to something I feel would benefit me and players in my position - loosening the scheduler up when the amount of matches per hour falls below a certain threshold. I'd much prefer that the two or 3 people activating multiple times in a row get matched after 45 minutes if its the same 2 or 3 people doing so.

I'd love it if I could challenge the other person activating in box when a certain criteria is met like scheduler has whiffed 4 times in a row with the same 2 or 3 people activating. They would be available to turn down, obviously, but it would make it nice if this was available for slow times.

If someone wants to wait an hour at a time to attempt to exploit, thats their waste of time.
Kalessin

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe wrote:
The bot doesn't schedule less then two games at once (as a measure to prevent arranged games).

Oh! That explains it. Sad to know that. Every now and then I have a few hours at odd times and it's always nice to spend them at Fumbbl.

Thanks, next time I won't get too frustrated if I can't get a match.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Hell, even being able to flag your team to ignore the 15 game rule when you have less than 15 games could help get some matches made. On a per activation basis it would be okay.

Edit:

Make it so you could ignore the 15 games criteria if the games played between yourself and potential opponent is less than 15 games difference. Unless I'm misremembering or wrong about this, it seems daft that a 14 game team would never meet with a 16 game team.

Last edited by mrt1212 on %b %11, %2014 - %20:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
smallman wrote:
Seems to be roughly an 8 hour window every day where the box will only trigger maybe 2 times. I'd imagine this window would get heaps more games if it was able to be programmed to only trigger on the hour during this time.

the voice says: 92 minutes of applause; only the italian coaches, or those with italian culture knowledge will fully understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDr7fi1gFco
Beerox

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Please send out a PM or forum post before you activate, so I can be sure to challenge my wife to a game of checkers.
Cavetroll

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
smallman wrote:

+1 and made my day

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm… I activate for the Blackbox every time I'm bored of getting dodged on Ranked. I get a game one time in twenty, and only when I don't drop out 'cause I got me a Ranked game, 'cause Ranked means I can get games… or get dodged.

I think that we Pacific coaches have to approach the site a little differently than the Euros and even Eastern US and South American types do. For us, Box is for daytime, and evening belongs to League and/or Ranked. League helps with things, quite a lot. Helps with Ranked too, you make friends and you get a Rolodex to play against.

Re: getting games in Ranked, it's simple. Greenlight everything that looks fair, don't build stupid kill minmax (you can build killer, just not insane no RR no ball), and dont chicken out.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Wait, so the idea is if 3 people activate at 0415, and then 3 people activate at 0430 the we should have had 6 if we only did a half hourly activate?

Problem is, it's the same 3 people. Less frequent box activation does not make more people to play in box. Unless in the time that there is no activation, the 3 people have a sexy party in those 15 minutes... But that's an odd number and assuming that there is a perfect balance of 1:1 of men and women in box activations, and we're not into group sex, then we would only get a new sexy-box related pregnancy every 15 minutes. Now, if we could get 2 couples going every 15 minutes, then we could double our breeding rate...

Oh, wait, that wont work, the box will fire and we'll have to play blood bowl.

Never mind, back to normal programming Razz

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Could smallman really have the goal of killing the box, with this blog as the start of phase 2?

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:
Could smallman really have the goal of killing the box, with this blog as the start of phase 2?

Yes.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

This does make me wonder - why is it the matchmaker only available for 5 minutes at a time to activate? Does Christer need to feed its furnace more coal during that 10 minute period?
 Jump to: