63 coaches online • Server time: 17:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Legends. Maybe u scare?
I am not a Legend and I am scare of Legends
11%
 11%  [ 18 ]
I am not a Legend and I like to play vs Legends
19%
 19%  [ 29 ]
I am a Legend and I am scare of other Legends
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
I am a Legend and I I like to play vs other Legends
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
I am a human and I like pie
50%
 50%  [ 76 ]
Total Votes : 151

PurpleChest

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 12:11
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I no scare. I green light just about everything. Then I sit and don't get games. Even with elves. I am semi retired because I just can't justify the time to end up not playing. Even Monday nights I can , and have, sat fir hours with multiple teams on gamefinder and end up not playing.

I don't think there is an answer, people just want to know going in that they have a decent chance to win the game, and the legend tag seems to make them think otherwise.

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Try playing some sub optimal builds, rather than finely tuned 11 man teams, or try playing with flings, gobos, chaos pact or any of the other joke races. You will get games pretty quickly that way.

I stick a mix of races on game finder and have no problems - recently I have been using wood elves, Pact (built in a terrible way that really should lose every game), Norse, Orc (I always put them on but only manage to get a game with them about once every 3 months).

Isn’t this the point in their being racial tiers after all?

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I have no qualms about playing vs Legends. I actually prefer it. The offers I make, however, rarely get accepted.

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't care what CR my opponent has. I know that some Legends (but not only them) got their ranking from heavy picking (playing with Zons with 4 Tackle-PO blitzers against a Halfling team that is 450 lower on TV helps a lot), and there is nothing scary about them.

Most legends that earned their rank are fun to play, and if I get a beating against one of them, I at least know why I lost.

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Totes scare.

(Obvs lols, just to be clearocopter)

I never seem to have issues getting games. Need to be more scary! Perhaps more team logos that are my face.
Rabe

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

You are not scary because you are too nice and modest (at least that's the impression I got from our match). BAM! In your face!!

---

I'm obviously no Legend (even though I love my "Star" rank and 160+ CR with a winning ratio of 36% Very Happy). I'm probably not scary either, at least to those who have heard of me (does my coach picture look scary?).

I like playing against coaches who are decent in multiple ways. First of all as persons. Then as Blood Bowl coaches. The coach rank can be say something about the latter, but not so much. So I really don't care when choosing my opponents in Ranked. I mainly look at the teams and decide spontaneously what I'm in the mood for. If I end up against a Legend, that might indicate a slightly more interesting game - but it still much more depends on my opponents social skills, the actual teams and (of course) Nuffle.
I sometimes hesitate to offer games to "Rookies" (unless I play a very weak team), because against really inexperienced coaches, I feel I have too much of an advantage (and I have to admit I'm often not in the mood to give an introduction to BB basics, but in such cases get the feeling I should, which leads to a slight feeling of guilt, which spoils my gaming experience).

If I had to choose between two similar teams to play against with two unknown coaches (with coach profiles that indicate nothing), I'd probably pick the one ranked higher - especially when he's ranked Legend.

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I generally like playing against Legends from my first days in fumbbl for these reasons:
1. Lesson on how to play the game
2. Measure my own ability/skill
3. Get tips about the specific match or other BB stuff
4. Good chat, fun game, underdog win (not always)

I often avoid them in Ranked for various reasons, most of them already discussed.

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Oi! I've got an evil rep to keep up here. EEEVIL! Wink

(We had good fun. BB is all about the interaction, much more so than the silly ranking.)
SvenS

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:

(We had good fun. BB is all about the interaction, much more so than the silly ranking.)

Hear hear! Very Happy

SL
happygrue

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Provocateur wrote:
I love to face other legends, it makes for a good tactical match. However, I can't squeeze them for spps. Crying or Very sad

You don't enjoy squeezing me?

I thought we had something special. Crying or Very sad

Garion wrote:
Try playing some sub optimal builds, rather than finely tuned 11 man teams, or try playing with flings, gobos, chaos pact or any of the other joke races. You will get games pretty quickly that way.

This is quite the truth. I rarely have problems finding a game with my vamps or these guys, and you have never seen a prettier green Christmas tree if you throw some ogres on there. But if I put a real team up and nothing else ... well, I just don't do that much anymore. Wink

To be frank, the legend tag has much less to do with if I take a match. These days I usually just throw a team up and see who wants to play me. Sometimes I make an offer but usually I don't because I get annoyed and start to hate on people for not letting me pick them, er, turning down great matchups. Other times I just don't want to play a certain matchup because I'm burned out on it. I was looking to play my frogs the other day but the only offer was from Stonetroll's Nurgle and I'm still burned out on those high TV chaos/nurgle games from my Box frog sprint. So I countered and offered my vamps to his chaos and we had a blast
Then there are still other coaches I often dodge and don't counter offer. Sometimes that's just due to a lack of, shall we say, creativity from their team-building effort. Other times it's because I've had a bad experience in the past...

PurpleChest wrote:
I no scare. I green light just about everything. Then I sit and don't get games. Even with elves. I am semi retired because I just can't justify the time to end up not playing. Even Monday nights I can , and have, sat fir hours with multiple teams on gamefinder and end up not playing.

I'm going to bite on this, and it's not to be mean but rather because I think we could all use a reminder. I've dodged you a number of times PC, because when I was new to the site and playing my first teams in the box (Vamps, Slann and some flings) I drew you as the first actual great coach I'd drawn. I was still somewhat new to the game with about 100 games under my belt, some 20 of them on FUMBBL. Now I imagine you looked at me with my handful of games and 80+% win rate or whatever craziness it was when I started (I had a good streak of beginners luck) and undefeated vamps and just assumed that I was one of "the bad guys". But regardless, at startup you went on quite a little tirade about how you were no doubt about to be lucked hard by cheating vamps and accused me of exploiting bugs by playing vamps in the box and just generally being not a good person for it. I had no idea what you were talking about because I didn't realize that vamps were bugged at that time. Anyway, this happened, and it was a memorably unfun game. In fact, it's the only game I remember at all from my early days. I stopped playing vamps for years and have dodged you on GF ever since. Of course, now that I have close to a thousand games and several years of experience I have caught myself doing almost this very thing to other players. In fact I was quite rude to someone a while back only to realize later that they had fewer then 10 games here and probably just didn't have any idea about some of the standard etiquette though they faked it well.

My larger point here is that we should all try to remember that we're a finite number of people who will over time interact with each other a lot and it would behoove us all to put some effort into being one of those guys that you always want to throw down against. Do it for the newer coaches who are struggling to understand a flowchart that they feel has far to many asses and elbows on it. Do it for the seasoned coaches we could end up having 20 matches against. Do it for the staff and their bucket of e-tickets for that one guy. You know the one. Do it so that people who kicked your ass last game with their lucky, lucky elbows will want to play you again and you can really stick it to them. Finally, do it for FUMBBL so that new coaches are wowed by the community and stick around learn to be good and send monies.

P.S. It's gone on too long. I know I shouldn't hold a grudge. I'll make a point of not dodging you next time PC. Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Play Black Box, and nobody will dodge you anymore.
Rampant picking/dodging is not good for competitive games and it's a waste of time.
Garion

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Sheesh your starting to sound like Dan Da Man.....

Hows it a waste of time. I enjoy the vast majority of my games in ranked, far more so than box and my win percentage is a hell of a lot higher in Blackbox, so what does that tell you?

Lets not turn this in to a box vs ranked debate, the fact is most of what is posted about both divisions is blx. Play for fun and you are the real winner Smile

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 17:30
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Well I'm sorry for that HappyG. you have my appology. it is never my aim to make others have an unfun game. It's one of the reasons i have tried to stop playing in B. I have found that i carry into the games baggage from other B games, and my general distrust of the play style and aims of coaches there leaks onto coaches that otherwise i might enjoy gaming against.

At that time we had one notable B division coach massively abusing vamp bugs and for a while they became quite popular with certain types of coaches. It seems i made assumptions.

But I can match that story with many instances of people i have helped/trained/assisted to learn BB and FUMBBL. They also then dodge me.

I think this:
Garion wrote:

is probably the answer. Deliberately choose to handicap myself to appear attractive to other coaches. With the added benefit of degrading my ranking. But do people really want to be patronised so?

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
Well I'm sorry for that HappyG. you have my appology. it is never my aim to make others have an unfun game. It's one of the reasons i have tried to stop playing in B. I have found that i carry into the games baggage from other B games, and my general distrust of the play style and aims of coaches there leaks onto coaches that otherwise i might enjoy gaming against.

At that time we had one notable B division coach massively abusing vamp bugs and for a while they became quite popular with certain types of coaches. It seems i made assumptions.

But I can match that story with many instances of people i have helped/trained/assisted to learn BB and FUMBBL. They also then dodge me.

I think this:
Garion wrote:

is probably the answer. Deliberately choose to handicap myself to appear attractive to other coaches. With the added benefit of degrading my ranking. But do people really want to be patronised so?

Playing with flings or gobos isn't patronising. I'ts just a fun challenge. Similarly playing chaos pact with 3 big guys is. Any idiot could run a troll plus 5 cpomb marauders team and it is probably the most optimal build for them in truth, but using a 3 big guy pact team is basically a completely different race all together than cpomb min max pact.

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

being here 18 months or so, i have seen ups. i have seen downs. I've had good luck. I've had bad luck. CR comes and goes (at least for me, anyways). Personally, I don't want to be patronized. I will generally greenlight many opponents with many teams, usually looking for a match where BOTH coaches can squeeze a dozen or more SPP onto their teams or where i can learn some new technique with a given team. when i see a legend, barring Some Cdorf or Chaos abomination, i will gladly throw down. I dont even mind losing, as long as i had fun and learned something.