46 coaches online • Server time: 14:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Legends. Maybe u scare?
I am not a Legend and I am scare of Legends
11%
 11%  [ 18 ]
I am not a Legend and I like to play vs Legends
19%
 19%  [ 29 ]
I am a Legend and I am scare of other Legends
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
I am a Legend and I I like to play vs other Legends
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
I am a human and I like pie
50%
 50%  [ 76 ]
Total Votes : 151

PurpleChest

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 20:53
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

it was a late addition to the post xnoelx, and possibly not my most careful thought. I freely admit i can be abrasive, and an arsehole at times. But I am, as i usually am, trying to be honest here. As to me labelling you in return, i don't mean it as an insult, merely an observation. I quite like you and would happily face you anytime.

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
Well I'm sorry for that HappyG. you have my appology. it is never my aim to make others have an unfun game. It's one of the reasons i have tried to stop playing in B. I have found that i carry into the games baggage from other B games, and my general distrust of the play style and aims of coaches there leaks onto coaches that otherwise i might enjoy gaming against.

At that time we had one notable B division coach massively abusing vamp bugs and for a while they became quite popular with certain types of coaches. It seems i made assumptions.

But I can match that story with many instances of people i have helped/trained/assisted to learn BB and FUMBBL. They also then dodge me.

After several years of experience I understand and agree with that. And after several years of experience I've done almost exactly the same thing to other new (and not new) coaches. I didn't mention this anecdote to paint you into a box (heh). I brought it up because I expect everyone who's been around for a while to be able to relate to both sides of that story from their own personal experiences with other coaches, and I hope it could serve as a useful reminder to all of us. This is something that happened years ago that for a while caused me to turn down games. No doubt there are a few people who also reject my games out of hand because of something that happened in a game that I don't even have any memory of.

In a system where two players are agreeing voluntarily to play a game with someone and the next hour could be enjoyable or not depending on who it is, the free market aspect of it is going to favor coaches with a friendly demeanor - and also coaches with crappier teams (or records). People want to have a good time and they want to win. If someone doesn't think either of those things is going to happen then they are probably going to give it a miss! That does put a cramp on playing more challenging teams to try for fairer (and thus more frequent) matchups against some coaches, and while I agree it works well getting games much of the time you also have to be in the mood for a challenge or alter your expectations about the game. Still, at the end of the day I think we'd all be better off if everyone tried to be that guy that everyone wants to play regardless of the matchup. PROBLEM SOLVED! That was easy. Next up: flying pigs tow us to Mars for free beer!

double post turned EDIT:
Purplegoo wrote:
Legend coaches are just coaches. Some fun, some not. What have you got to lose by playing one? You'll perhaps learn something, play someone new and fun, or maybe have a bad experience you'll avoid next time. But you could get any of those things playing a Rookie. As an example, I played happygrue for the first time earlier this year (not counting a silly lop sided league game you can't get much from) and had an absolutely terrific time. He was fun, positioned excellently and I thoroughly enjoyed losing. I only really entered the UI and GLT to try and get a rematch. Wink But the point is; if you're deliberately cutting off a section of coaches, you might well be missing out on good times. I don't get why you'd do that.

We were so close to that rematch in the UI! Next time I won't throw myself under the bus the game before. Sad

Done my bit for the GLT, I'll order you a round while I wait. Wink

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

My vanity doesn't like to fall below Super Star. My desire to get games doesn't like to rise above Super Star. My basic skill level is just a little below the real Legends, ergo Super Star. So I try to keep my CR in the mid-low 160s as much as I can. When it rises above 167 or so, I dodge Legends, because a big CR bump could make it hard to get games. When it falls below 160 I dodge Legends, because if I lose a game I might have to look at that "Star" tag every time I log in for a few days. If I'm hanging out in the low 160s, I play whoever takes my greenlights. Which usually isn't a Legend, because late night Pacific time a lot of the Legends are pickers and pickers don't play Super Stars.

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

My tactics solely rely on luck, its been proven that by that i can beat the super star as losing to the rookie coach. Im normally reasonably scarred of any coach and team that i play blood bowl against, usually i try to make up for it by heavy pre match trash talk, which normally gets me even more nervous. When i then have completely lost it, i enter the pitch in a complete maniac state of mind, forget about TZ's and stat ups and what not and still get away with it most of the time.

That being said i normally avoid legends and try to stick within my own territory, which is still clearly sub "Star" status. Normally i dont learn that much more from it. My play is just still so wonky that i know myself what i should change. Also not being too fluid with english doenst help on the tutoring side.
I also allow myself times of greed and picking (just recently lost 0:3 vs a rookie).

When i went star for a short i time i think i could already feel a decline in game offers, so its clearly harder getting games when you get better. Playing dorfs though must be the worst in that regard, normally you just dont get any games vs. any coach on any given day. As the little success i have comes solely from dorfs and sheer luck i might face real harsh times.

Edit: Last point about dorf is not as OT as it may appear, it actually means even Legends prefer not getting a game over having one against the good old dorf. Wink
I hope i reach solid "Star" status once, all above probably means such a hard time getting a game. If its anything like dorfs it simply means you get about 1-2 games per week. Which is about my count with dorfs and thats pretty horrible to cope with.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: May 30, 2014 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I've only been a Legend for a couple of matches, got there by playing E.L.F. in Ranked and probably won't stay there long as I'm planning to return to the Human League come June. I know my current rank of 59 is a high overstatement, there are a lot more than 58 players on Fumbbl better than me, some of them way better.

So I don't really have any first hand experience of getting Ranked games as Legend. But generally the metagaming involved in Ranked matchmaking makes me uncomfortable. I don't get to play that many games and mostly I've been seeing Ranked matches outside of tourneys as build-up / recovery matches. And that entails picking match-ups that are likely to go easy on your team. (And then I put my best player in harm's way anyway because I really want to win. A fine Legend am I...)

I do like playing stronger coaches in principle though, there is nothing more annoying than losing to someone who plays very poorly but just has the dice. Wink

For "just playing" as opposed to "team building" I generally prefer Box, haven't had the bad experience many here seem to have had. But with Box's decline I'll probably be running more "just play" teams in Ranked and I'm sure gonna play those big names if they come up with a fair match-up, all the more glory for me if I win!
koadah

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

My last ARR Sprint run drew 6 Legends, 6 Supers Stars, 3 Stars, 1 Experienced & 1 Rookie.

Who says legends can't get games. Wink

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah never seen anything like this in ranked Surprised

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Anyway does gamefinder display your overall site rank or your Ranked rank?

In any case I am but a Superstar, I usually offer some games to any Superstars and Legends but more often than not I end up having to accept an offer from a Star or lower ranked coach to get a game.

Don't really feel it's that hard to get games against lower ranked coaches, I guess most of them just wanna play some bloodbowl or maybe I just make awesome teams.

Raughri

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I often find that legends who have bash teams are reluctant to play each other, which I find incredibly amusing. Lost count the number of times two legends with CD, Chaos, Nurgle teams both in 2k plus territory, refuse to play each other but green light my 1800 teams.

I do enjoy games against better players, but I wish they would talk me through my mistakes, as it would save me having to watch the replays as well as hopefully making me a better player.
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 00:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I think most people will give advise if you ask for it but if you don't ask then they wont run the risk of offending you.

PurpleChest

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 00:31
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I know this is a bit of a sidebar, but this interested me.

Verminardo wrote:
(And then I put my best player in harm's way anyway because I really want to win. A fine Legend am I...)

I utterly dissagree. i am not saying Legend means anything, or that CR does. But I have yet to see a truly great coach at a high CR that hugs their pixels. Even that is in any way afraid to put their pixels into danger. of course they do not do so casually. But they play to win, and that means using everything they have to its uttermost effect. they are exactly the player that will put their best players on the line in every game.

Indeed some very fine coaches have often had their ranking held back, imho, while developing big name players/teams. making them artificially low rated. Some of the key Tournament teams and record holding legend players have notably held back a great coach from riding high in the CR charts. i could cite examples but it would be impolite to do so.

On the other side, it means one of the hugest achievements I have witnessed on FUMBBL was the growth of Vindaloo. pigstar-69 is a fantastic coach, and developed a real major name while still riding high in the rankings and never seeming to compromise on standard of play. Not surprisingly (and maybe hence), Vindaloo is dead.

Maybe thats what stops a lot of people playing High ranked coaches. They see it, and it probably needs to be seen as, hardcore mode. They are likely to throw everything they have at you at every turn.

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Let's petition Christer to change the ranking system so that we are all Legends!

Oscar Wilde
xnoelx

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 00:44 Reply with quote Back to top

...so that no-one ever gets any games?

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
Maybe thats what stops a lot of people playing High ranked coaches. They see it, and it probably needs to be seen as, hardcore mode. They are likely to throw everything they have at you at every turn.

I want to add some tips to be a hard core player:
1. Use your apothecary on your first Badly Hurt player in the first half, or a KO in the second half. You won't be complaining about it not working!
2. DON'T farm SPP unless the game is won regardless, and even then usually not. Silly passes in the back field might just chew up valuable rerolls and that hand-off to score a different player? Be prepared to lose a game over that.

Basically anything you do in a game that diminishes your chance of winning in order to team build.

Oscar Wilde
Grod

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 00:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Do all coaches understand the Coach Ranking system properly?

Suppose you are a coach with a low rank:
1. If you beat a legend, your rank goes up a LOT. His goes down a LOT.
2. If you draw a legend, your rank goes up a fair bit. His goes down a fair bit.
3. If you lose to a legend, you rank goes down a tiny little bit. His goes up a tiny little bit.

Basically, cherry picking legend coaches is the fastest way to rise up the rankings!

I remember the days when the change to Coach Ranking at the end of the game did not take into account the rankings of the two coaches involved. Boy there were some notorious pickers then Smile

Oscar Wilde
 Jump to: