41 coaches online • Server time: 14:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kam

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess all the requests could go in one thread, so here it is. Feel free to post yours.

2 minor requests:

- Give us an option to open links in a new tab / window. That would save loading time and bandwidth when linking to match reports, players, or notes (when you return to the bio afterwards).

- Allow the use of background images in tables (the standard HTML stuff, with the image repeated). Same: that would save bandwidth and make the coding of some bios much easier (check the Matches tab of the bio of the Sammiches to see what it could be used for).

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2014 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

[Done] An obvious one: get rid of the max characters limit for bios (just like notes). This bio for example works great as a note but half of the code is cut when I paste it into a bio.

I understand the reasoning behind that: you probably don't want to have bios that take too long to load, but the sole header image is probably bigger in size that any wall of text / fluff I can come with, and any cool kid can already create a page that takes ages to load just by inserting a bunch of stupidly large animated gif (and no characters limit can prevent that - really, it only hurts those who try to add a lot of fluff to their bio).

I would even say the reason the bio is so long is precisely because I've tried not to let its size skyrocket. I could for instance replace all the blocks of text surrounded by pics as borders by one single picture containing the frames and the text (directly on the image) - that would solve my problem with the exceeding characters, but that would also dramatically increase the loading time of the page (not to mention that would be an heresy from a coder's point of view Very Happy).

------------------

Less important: let us add comments into the code to make it more readable (something like: anything after "//" won't be read by the parser).

Last edited by Kam on %b %21, %2014 - %12:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2014 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Limiting size of bios is silly really, so few people make big bios that I can't imagine that limiting their creativity will have any effect on the servers whatsoever.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Kam

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2014 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Eh, that's at least 2 people (I know Rabe encountered this problem as well). Razz

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2014 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam wrote:
Eh, that's at least 2 people (I know Rabe encountered this problem as well). Razz

I have had similar issues, with the CFFL and KPL, but I can break those up by adding extra group pages.

I looked at your code, you can save a lot of bits by dropping the fumbbl.com stuff.

Images
This:
Code:
[img]https://fumbbl.com/i/399213[/img]

should be this:
Code:
[img]/i/399213[/img]

Players
This:
Code:
[url=http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=9464644]

should be this:
Code:
[url=/p/player?player_id=9464644]

(You are using some weird, longer version of the url.)

Matches
This:
Code:
[url=http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=3366209]

should be this:
Code:
[url=/p/match?match&id=3366209]

(You are using some weird, longer version of the url.)

Teams
Like this:
Code:
[url=/p/team?team_id=664015]

Should be an easy fix with notepad and find and replace. I can do it quickly if you want. I imagine you will be surprised how much k you lose and how much cleaner the BBcode looks.[/code]

Last edited by WhatBall on %b %14, %2014 - %15:%Jul; edited 3 times in total
Kam

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2014 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I've already done that, but that's not enough (89k characters, and the limit is 65k).

However... Great news: Christer's gonna increase it. Very Happy

EDIT - What code did you look at? Oo

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2014 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam wrote:
I've already done that, but that's not enough (89k characters, and the limit is 65k).

However... Great news: Christer's gonna increase it. Very Happy

EDIT - What code did you look at? Oo

Great news. Playing around I just found that the matches and team pages can be shortened as well.

I looked at your code on the team page. I can't see the notes code.

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2014 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

At, yeah, it still uses the old bio, which is fine. The current most recent bio is here, if you can see the code of the teams with the "new" status. It's now working.

EDIT - Yeah, it looks like the http://fumbbl.com (or https) part isn't needed at all, and you can remove the "&op=view" part of matches URL as well.

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2014 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

It looks amazing!

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2014 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam wrote:

I had to cut some content from the Vault Tec Squad bio due to this limitation.

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2014 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

One more... add an align=justify tag. I'm really missing that for the GLN atm.

Cheers.

Jump to: