36 coaches online • Server time: 10:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Are Rat Ogres worth it?
Yes
59%
 59%  [ 31 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 52

noxnoctum

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2015 - 06:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been watching a lot of replays lately from the skaven players on the "top" list (going by W/L ratio, not just highest rating), and I see that most of the better players seem to not take Rat Ogres at all.

I'm curious though what the consensus on them is though.
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2015 - 06:37
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Dunno what your talking about really, best Skaven teams I have ever seen in tourneys have used Rogrs.
This one
This one too
Orite!

And that is from 1 minute of hunting. Rogrs are great if you use them right like most big guys.

Oh and you forgot "Pie" for the poll.
/shame
AegisTheHyena

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2015 - 07:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually take them because the added hitting power is a bonus if I need a bigger blitz here and there. And hey, if he rolls block on a skill up, so much the better. In the cyanide version I have a +2 MA +1 AGI Breaktackle -extremely- well behaved rat ogre... stopped playing cyanide when I came here, though.

I say get 'em, most times I do, the other team sends a lot of players to bring him down... tie 'em up and run away with the ball, I say...

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2015 - 07:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Obviously yay! Any potential clawpomber is yay!
Foad

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2015 - 08:10 Reply with quote Back to top

You know what rat igres like to eat?

Pie...

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2015 - 09:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I think my take here would be the same as for all the big guys (except perhaps for humans).

They are expensive for players who fail 1 in 6 and then don't have block so fail a further 1 in 9 times and you can't rely on them using the reroll. So in environments where you can or are expected to match TV (ranked and the box) I think you are generally better off without them if you can play well with the other more reliable players.

I think in tournaments where you have to play whatever comes your way, the TV matching becomes less important and you just want the best side you can field. Here a rat ogre can really start coming into it's own. But I'd say that's likely to be at higher TV where the rest of the team can carry such a player and/or it has earned block.
Badoek

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2015 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Fling pie mostly but with claws they'll eat practically anything.

OT: I think consensus is mostly NOT to take the Rat Ogre (because of TV/inducements/wizard) but who cares about consensus. He's fun! So apart from fun, why take a rat ogre? S acces for Guard if your blitzers are CPOMBing much (no room for Guard if you're going to kill all mens). So he can be of help against those pesky ST4 players but with his Prehensile Tail pointy eared folks don't like him much either, same goes for the stunty folks.

Why not take him? ROAARRR! really hurts skaven (in my experience), I've found myself relying on him too much when I have one. And like I said before he's quite expensive and that money could be more of use for geting a wizard. AV8 is the highest you've got as skaven but it's not enough to just stick him next to heavy hitters. He'll be out quickly.

Take him already! Don't put him on the LoS though (mostly not anyway).

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2015 - 09:28 Reply with quote Back to top

That is the first time i read on fumbbl it would be ok to take a rogre i gotta say.

Tried to run with a rogre for awhile tho. Think fumbbl was right with what it told me so far. Not worth it unless you roll a stat up/ double (maybe) and you definitely should know what you do(!). The average coach will most probably play stronger without imho. Which doesnt mean you shouldnt get one ofc.

Personally ill keep that one rogre with av+ i still have as losfodder and last experiment, when he dies he will be my last probably.

Cu on pitch!

Last edited by albinv on %b %02, %2015 - %09:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Sammler_der_Seelen

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2015 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont use ro that much,i can get 3 line Rats for the Same Prize And with Skave you dont win the CAS war .that and the Point That he goes with wild Animal ,as Big Guy And he isnt exactly a Bad Deal And to Start its Not Bad do stick with one but later in the Progress he is only a damn expansive player And Rats Needs to hold the Tv low as You Need any Money You can get.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2015 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I like them for 1000 tv tournaments, but otherwise I tend to leave them well alone.
Badoek

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2015 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Let's not forget it was a (rookie!) Rat Ogre that relieved us of vindaloo....
That's got to count for something right? Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2015 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

In general, big guys are "meh" at most. They are overpriced, unreliable and they don't scale well unless they roll doubles.

That being said, RO have a potential for zoning with the tail and WA that other big guys lack, and the punch that rookie skaven don't have, as long as you are willing to waste the odd blitz now and then due to WA. Once the blitzers get a skill or two, their role fades out since RO won't get any more blitzing. After that, it's easy for smart opponents to zone them away using frenzy against it and leave it roaring for the rest of the drive.

It's a pitty what CRP did to the big guys, rendering them useless for competitive play at mid&high TV.

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 02:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted yes as I like fixed leagues and tournies better but for Ranked definitively "NO".

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2015 - 03:24 Reply with quote Back to top

The fact that you often have to use them to blitz with (instead of a blitzer) to avoid a 4+ to do an action, and you still need a 2+ to do the blitz, and then they may have no block, and have loner and av8 really impacts their value. But against a tough 2-1 grind team they do offer an alternative to just trying dodges or leaps to get -2db in cages on defence. Good coaches will make better use of their frenzy, and they are good fun anyway!

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2015 - 04:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I would kill for a RO in a small amount of games where I need that blitzing power, that Prehensile tail, and with skills, juggernaut, claw, guard.

But you can't plan on success when using him and he can get really out of position. AV8 is also kind of a meh part about him on top of the Wild Animal. Uhg, Wild Animal.
 Jump to: