32 coaches online • Server time: 09:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2015 - 23:39 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:

I'm all for finding more people to play the game though, I'm just not sure where one would go looking for them.

GW has been a bit negligent about building a fan base in SA. Maybe you could build a couple of stores there to improve awareness.
Quote:
Lickers Little Blood Bowl and Duel Of Champions Store
or short:
Quote:
LLBB&DOCS
licker

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2015 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

lol...

New Mexico may sound like it should be in South America, but it's not Very Happy

On the other hand MMDoC is extremely popular in Brazil apparently...
AegisTheHyena

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2015 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Really? I thought I was just unlucky (I'm in NA). I only play in the Box or rarely, R. I wasn't aware that good matches were actually a problem. Explains why I keep meeting people from other parts of the planet so often, though Smile

Maybe another box specifically for NA? I dunno.

EDIT: Just how many NA coaches are on Fumbbl anyway?

Last edited by AegisTheHyena on %b %24, %2015 - %23:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
happygrue

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2015 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

It is very unfortunate (for me!) that peak NA times often correspond to the kind of marginal matchmaking options that lead to really nasty matches. I've been playing a few times a week in NA times this past month and some draws have been 5-6 coaches, but it's still very often 3 with some guy coming in to be the 4th in the last seconds. That often bodes ill for fun in the high TV monster range that we have at the moment, though it is working (mostly) really well still if those 4 coaches are getting lower TV games.

The high-TV box problem, IMHO, does very much exacerbate the NA timezone problem. Last few months my schedule has allowed me to activate in both NA and Euro prime times about equally, and the Euro draws are *so* much better, from a "crazy matchup" (or a matchup I'd actually choose to play at least) point of view.

Where do we go from here? Hard to say. Every few months I usually have to step back from the box because I burn out on it's problems. But for me personally, I always come back to it's strengths. I really, really wish we could address some of the issues that remain and then I'd probably be playing more box than ranked. As it is, it works out to about 50-50 for me over the long haul.

Last edited by happygrue on %b %24, %2015 - %23:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
pythrr

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2015 - 23:52 Reply with quote Back to top

i get BILLINS of BOX NA games, what?

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2015 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

It would also help if everyone activated multiple teams. If after waiting a while you scrape together 4 coaches but one only activates a high TV team then someone may be getting an unpleasant matchup. I find it way too quiet on west NA evenings, though generally haven't had too bad matchups once they are scheduled. Ranked also has few options then.

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2015 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

happygrue wrote:
It is very unfortunate that peak NA times often correspond to the kind of marginal matchmaking options that lead to really nasty matches. I've been playing a few times a week in NA times this past month and some draws have been 5-6 coaches, but it's still very often 3 with some guy coming in to be the 4th in the last seconds. That often bodes ill for fun in the high TV monster range that we have at the moment, though it is working (mostly) really well still if those 4 coaches are getting lower TV games.

The high-TV box problem, IMHO, does very much exacerbate the NA timezone problem. Last few months my schedule has allowed me to activate in both NA and Euro prime times about equally, and the Euro draws are *so* much better, from a "crazy matchup" (or a matchup I'd actually choose to play at least) point of view.

Where do we go from here? Hard to say. Every few months I usually have to step back from the box because I burn out on it's problems. But for me personally, I always come back to it's strengths. I really, really wish we could address some of the issues that remain and then I'd probably be playing more box than ranked. As it is, it works out to about 50-50 for me over the long haul.

If teams are allowed to play endlessly, bashing should be less rewarding than running and dodging. Simple as that. Under LRB 4, Orc vs Elf was a tough matchup for both sides and Chaos had it even tougher except Chaos with some RSC in their team. Under CRP, both Orc and Chaos are usually to be favored, this is very well to see in tournaments when it gets into OT. Now if your team is to be favored and you get all the joy from the game, the win, the touchdowns and the bash, you do no longer play other races.
Maybe my memory is wrong, but I guess statistics cover it.
licker

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
It would also help if everyone activated multiple teams. If after waiting a while you scrape together 4 coaches but one only activates a high TV team then someone may be getting an unpleasant matchup. I find it way too quiet on west NA evenings, though generally haven't had too bad matchups once they are scheduled. Ranked also has few options then.

I've proposed this in the past as well, when I thought there was a future for Box (in NA so whiny euros don't get undies knotted). It was always brushed off.

Oh well, more's the pity for those who give a damn about Box.
NerdBird

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Since I returned to the site after my hiatus I have played 22 games in the past month with my High Elves in the box.

3 times my TV was below 145. My highest TV was 174.

Of the 19 games I have played 145 and above the race breakdown is as follows:

Chaos: 6
Human: 4
Nurgle: 3
Chaos Dwarf: 2
Orc: 1
Chaos Pact: 1
Lizardmen: 1
Dwarf: 1

My 3 recovery games below 145 TV were against Underworld, Goblin and Ogre. Smile

Obviously a lot of bash. If I were to have played some other races, maybe my team would be better off. But also, if there was a more even distribution, wouldn't those severe bash teams be much better off too?

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I stopped playing NA Box about 2 years ago or so. At the time I had played 230 box matches. Nearly half of all opponents were, in order: Chaos, Necro/ Orc (tied), Nurgle, Dwarf.

I just got tired of feeling like I was always playing against the same teams.

Stunty is just SO much funner.

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

ON further analysis, in those 19 games I was outbashed 61-12. I was outscored 31-24. I only made 860000 in winnings. So in those 19 games I can afford to buy a lino every other game.

I am not a great coach, but I am surely not a bad coach either. With the stats I am looking at, I do not know how well the box (or is the CRaP system?) is working.....

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
It would also help if everyone activated multiple teams.

I stopped doing that after I realised that precisely this behavior made me end up with that one mass TV team.
PainState

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 00:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Iam with Sigmar1 on this.

North America should go stunty and that is all we play.

Iam serious, I love stunty.

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

The box has always had an issue at certain TV levels, so while some coaches claim it's brilliant when you start a team (and some coaches only play their teams for ~20 games anyway), it's very problematic for teams which want to play say 100 games. At least if they want to remain at higher TVs.

This is mitigated for euros as the draws are deeper so matchups are better balanced by TV. In NA, you can have that one guy who only ever plays his killer Nurgle activating, and if you and 2 new teams activate guess what? You get to get killed by the 2000tv nurgle over and over.

Again, this isn't a problem so much as it's just design failing when the activation pool is very shallow. The solution to that is to deepen the activation pool. If this cannot be done organically (which it seems it cannot) it should be done mechanically, by requiring all coaches to activate 3 or more teams.

Ok ok, so the guy will build his 3 Nurgle teams... yeah, I've covered this ground before, I have very little interest to cover it again. Suffice it to say there is a mechanical way around that as well.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 00:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
garyt1 wrote:
It would also help if everyone activated multiple teams.

I stopped doing that after I realised that precisely this behavior made me end up with that one mass TV team.

Thats been my experience as well, one team tends to eat up all your activations after a while. I still like activating 4 or 5 teams at a time because i like variety. a lot of my teams are getting up there in TV now too.
 Jump to: