79 coaches online • Server time: 20:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post 7s for fummbl?goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Was this defeat avoidable if played by a grand master instead?
Yes
57%
 57%  [ 12 ]
No
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Coke please!
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 21

Dominik

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2015 - 03:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok champions, gurus and luminaries:
My Nurgle got easily humiliated by lower team valued Vampire.

With these dices given, what would you have done differently in order to avoid a defeat besides the mistake around Turn 5 in Half 2, but there the odds were already very bad for me.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2015 - 04:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I would say turn 5 of the first half seems an obvious mistake for you. You allow a vamp a 4+ hypno (with pro) and then a 2+ leap for a 2d... which wouldn't be the end of the world as sometimes you have to allow that kind of chance against vamps - but there is nothing in your backfield! IF it works, then the vamps have an easy pickup and you could be quite screwed. Sure the attacker had to get out of tents, but he could have easily also hypnoed the beast... I think you gave him a very nice shot at the ball there, and it worked out for him. Why not have better protection? You need a screen AND some cage element, if time allows for it (which IMO it did there)

Then on turn 1 of the 2nd half... what happened? That is even less protected than in the first half! There are so many ways he could hypno things and then dodge or leap in for a 2d. Get around your guard and at least make him 1d you! He has no +st or guard vamps. If you just cage up with a guard on each corner (or at least opposite corners) behind a screen then he still *might* be able to get at you (vamps!) but it also looks hard enough that he might not try, and he's much less likely to get the ball out of that even if he pows you.

On turn 2, look where you placed the bear when you blitz. You actually push him into range to score if he wants, or an easy dodge into scoring position next turn. If you place him one closer to the endzone then you can push the vamp up (rather than up/left) with a pow (or not) and he's in a MUCH worse position for that turn and future turns.

Turn 4, blitz the one vamp who can score or 5+ dodge (with dt which burned your RR) GFI GFI for 1d strip... what good can come of that? Even if you strip the ball, they are vampires. Getting the ball back from your one pest is not a problem. Just blitz the scoring threat or keep hitting the food! In addition, your sweeper is then prone and out of position (or upright and still probably out of position even if your plan worked)

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Maybe it's a bunch of crap, but since you asked for advice - there it is. Very Happy

I left dice out of it, sure vamps are hot when their tricks work despite disturbing presence and such. Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2015 - 04:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Not respecting the hypno gaze turn 5...
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2015 - 04:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Lol, so lucky that Leap Blitz H2T1 didnt clobber your ball carrier.

It just feels like you didnt respect the abilities of the players you were facing and came up short on some scrums for the ball.
Badoek

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2015 - 09:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I find playing against Vampires quite a challenge, I'm glad they're lousy team otherwise I'd have my ass handed to me every time. It's probably because I never play with them myself, you don't encounter them often and both Hypnotic Gaze and Blood-lust are Vampire unique (Stunty Leeg aside) so I find it hard to take these "skills" into account when playing.

Blood-lust is the easiest though (1 in 6 of them needing a thrall nearby). Hypnotic Gaze not so much. You know when someone might or might not use Sidestep, Stand Firm, Juggernaut, etc etc. With Hypno I find it hard to "see" where my weaknesses are in my offense/defense.

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2015 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

My rule of thumb is that HE is like an extra Blitz, every turn, 1/vamp.

Now, pro'ly not every one will work, and the Vamp coach knows that, but you have to treat them like you would +St Frogs or Wardancers - a cage is (mostly) useless, you have to stay disciplined and patient, set up a multi-layer screen to present multiple obstacles, with a sweeper behind the ballcarrier to pickup dropped balls (and/or hit a Vamp blitzer if he ends up with it) and hope for the best.

On D, similarly - even a layered D is no sure obstacle, so apply pressure, hope they make a mistake, and hope for the best.

Once a few of those AV 7 Thralls are off the field, things usually get easier, but it's always a crapshot how strong HE will be. (Which is why I prefer to treat them like Elves and Kick first, thin the ranks, invite/pressure the fast score, tie the half, win the 2nd half.)

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)

Last edited by Smeat on %b %12, %2015 - %21:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2015 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Smeat, check out the replay. Dominik kinda tried that 1st half strat but failed to thin the ranks enough. Combine with underestimating how risky his opponent was willing to play and he was down 2-0 at half.
NerdBird

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2015 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Vamps are tough. THey are even tougher because you do not play them very often. The key to vamps is trying to tie down their Thralls and keep the thralls out of position. If you can't knock out the thralls or keep them tied down, you are pretty well screwed. With vamps you need to lines of defense because they are going to get to the ball with the Hypno fun.

They are a whole different beast. One of the most annoying teams to play that is the perfect min-max team when they have 3-4 legend vamps.

Jump to: