38 coaches online • Server time: 18:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 19, 2015 - 09:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Due to a laptop failure type of event, we have lost hgbs from the playoffs. He's been replaced by the runner up in the Aussie group, Dazedmw.

Hard lines to hgbs, and good luck to our new contenders!
happygrue

Post   Posted: May 19, 2015 - 12:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Dazedmw and I will play our match tonight at 8:30 PM Eastern time (that's early Wednesday at 0230 server time).

Post   Posted: May 19, 2015 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Reptile Remedy is the first finalist of the Lutece Cup Challenge!
\o/

Although we both played bad (Justicium gave me a clear 2d on the ball in turn three with no reason and no dice involved (!!!) and I didn't see it (!!!!!)), Justicium also had horrible dice and Moranion cost him the game with a tripleskull in the first half. The lizards didn't bring the usual violence to the pitch, but quite a few KOs granted a reasonably safe passage to the final through an eight-turns stall in the second half for the final 2-1.

Kudos to my opponent for taking those skulls in stride.

Now it's time for some good beer, while we wait for our opponent to be decided!

Post   Posted: May 20, 2015 - 02:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Playoff game starting up.

EDIT: And Dazedmw's Undead soundly defeat my ladies after I over committed to start the game and then AGAIN in overtime from a very confidant position. Shame on me, and well played Dazedmw!

Post   Posted: May 20, 2015 - 04:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know about soundly! It was in OT.

Thanks for the game happygrue, it was a good one.
happygrue

Post   Posted: May 20, 2015 - 04:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Dazedmw wrote:
I don't know about soundly! It was in OT.

Thanks for the game happygrue, it was a good one.

You get a "soundly" by dominating the 1st half, parts of the 2nd and then taking charge again to walk it in easily in OT. Wink But sure, it was tense and I had my moments where I thought I was headed for a win!

Post   Posted: May 22, 2015 - 08:56 Reply with quote Back to top

2nd semifinal is scheduled for Monday at 13.00.
Dazedmw

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 14:14 Reply with quote Back to top

In OT do we kick off again after 8 turns?
Dazedmw

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Dazedmw wrote:
In OT do we kick off again after 8 turns?

Doesn't matter. Tripleskull got me 2-1 in OT.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

OT is handled by the client as per the rules. Shout if it doesn't! Smile
JanMattys

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

THE FINAL GAME:

Reptile Remedy - Lizardmen
coach JanMattys
Record 8/0/0 vs: Dwarf, Wood Elf, Chaos, Dwarf, Amazon, Undead, Norse, High Elf

vs

Lutéce Oppers - Wood Elves
coach Tripleskull
Record 8/0/0 vs: Chaos, Chaos Pact, Amazon, Dwarf, Amazon, Undead, Chaos, Undead

will be played Thursday, May 28th, 21:00 server time.

Come and cheer for every death!

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Cool, will give this one a bit of publicity, and *might* even be able to record it for commentary. No promises!

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I shall do a run down before kickoff. I've no doubt everyone will be fed up of my pimping by the time we get there. Wink

As for everyone else, expect news on 'what's next' by the end of the week!
happygrue

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure if this would be the thread for feedback, but I'd like to suggest different tiebreakers for future events before the rules get set. TD+CAS encourages taking risks to run up tiebreakers. In other words, getting lucky or playing badly are the only ways to improve your tiebreakers. I would think these events could be improved by focusing tiebreakers on things that rewarded good play?

I think the best tiebreaker to reward "good play" would be fewest TD allowed (different than TD difference, in that there is no incentive to run up the score). I think this would also make games more interesting later on when they are "lost", as currently the incentive is all on running players away so you don't get blocked to death (hurting your tiebreakers). That's boring to play and boring to watch. Much better to see bodies hurtling into the fray in desperate attempts to stop the score!

As for pie in the sky ideas, how about first tiebreaker by race tier then second as above (and third and so on could be debated). The same record with flings counts way, way more than it does with wood elves, and I think it also gives good coaches a viable reason to actually take 2nd tier races: if all else is equal your humans 5/1/0 humans will advance over 5/1/0 Undead. That seems totally fair to me, and also could improve racial diversity.

I guess such things would require work from big C, so file them away under "would be nice", but since he's already gone all out to make these NAF events awesome let's aim big, eh?

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Bah, turns out I am required to be sociable on Thursday evening. Ah well. Some Facebook publicity here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1573394752924484/

Jump to: