21 coaches online • Server time: 04:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 05:37 Reply with quote Back to top

So, this has probably been asked/answered somewhere before (but I'm damned if I can find it ..):

I was thinking it could be fun to make a rookie Pro Elf team with the fluff that they only play matches where they're down at least 1000TV - seems like it might be entertaining to have a go at some of the high-TV CPOMB teams with Morg, Eldril, wizard, etc.

However, reading through the help pages, I remembered (after reading this page) that new teams in [R] have a limit on how large a TV-difference they can play, although after 30 games teams can play any TV difference they want.

I'm just wondering what the reason behind this rule is. As I said, I'm sure it's been stated somewhere before. The thing is, it seems like there's nothing stopping me from playing the aforementioned rookie Pro Elf team for 30 games, whilst periodically sacking/replacing any players that skill up, after which I could carry on with my original plan anyway. So, what's the point of the 30-game 'startup' period?

As a related question, presumably there's nothing wrong with entering a rookie team in the FUMBBL cup - I assume the TV-limit policy doesn't apply in tourneys?

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
NerdBird

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 05:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Because new people to fumbbl would get preyed upon by filthy players...and then leave.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 05:39 Reply with quote Back to top

It basically exists to protect beginners from very poor choices. Potentially there are also some ways of exploitation, I'm not sure.

The fact that you can run a team for 30 games and then play anyone is intentional, so please go ahead and follow your idea.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 05:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, well if the only reason is to protect new coaches, couldn't it be based on the total # of ranked games played, rather than # of games for each team separately?

Although, actually, one good thing about the 30-game period is that it would take some effort to implement the idea, which would create a sort of 'barrier to entry' if other coaches felt like copying it Wink

Last edited by JellyBelly on Feb 10, 2016 - 16:01; edited 1 time in total
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 09:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Where did you get the 30 from? I thought that was the box number. Ranked I though was far less. Within 10% for the first 5 I remember........

"Effective immediately, the limit has changed to be based on the number of games a team has played. The limits are as follows:

0-2 games, must play within 10% 3-9 games, must play within 15% 10-29 games, must play within (15+(games-10)*2)% 30 games and onward, teams can play any opponent"

I guess that's how it is.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Where did you get the 30 from? I thought that was the box number. Ranked I though was far less. Within 10% for the first 5 I remember........

"Effective immediately, the limit has changed to be based on the number of games a team has played. The limits are as follows:

0-2 games, must play within 10% 3-9 games, must play within 15% 10-29 games, must play within (15+(games-10)*2)% 30 games and onward, teams can play any opponent"

I guess that's how it is.

Well, he wants to play 1000 TV+, guess he'll have to play 30 games for that.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Themes like this I think are better in League. Shame there isn't more games played via the gamefinder, there are some though.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

The rule doesn't apply to tournaments, no. And since the FC is open for all comers and everyone gets in, you can play anything in it - even a rookie snotling team with 11 players, no RRs and no staff. Very Happy

(Same goes for the Black Cup in the Box, by the way.)

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, thanks Rabe.

Harvestmouse wrote:
Themes like this I think are better in League. Shame there isn't more games played via the gamefinder, there are some though.

So, we can use the gamefinder for [L] teams as well? I bet hardly anyone does it though, which is why I assumed this would have to be in [R] if I want to get any games (or potentially enter the FC)..

harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I have a ton of themed teams that I use the gamefinder in League for. Yes.......it's not greatly populated, but I say I'd get a game half the time.

You don't get much choice though, and coaching quality can be on the poorer side.

Unranked (the division for this sort of thing was merged with League. It's a fun division, I wish people would use it more. As there are no rankings, it doesn't appeal to certain types of players.
JohnnyFeyev

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Holy crap. I didn't know you could play league teams in gamefinder. I was wondering what to do with my teams after they finished their league... albeit, I don't have a ton of them. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't usually put my Leagueless League teams on gamefinder as I wouldn't expect to find any potential match-ups, but I've never tried... might be a good option for when I'm disappointed in the ranked matchups. I should play my stunty teams more too.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it possible to 'lfg' with both Ranked and League teams at the same time? In a way, doing this in [L] might be better, as then I wouldn't have to go through the 30-game [R] start-up period.

Although, [L] teams can't apply for the FUMBBL cup, can they?

Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Once a team has 30 games, TV ceases to matter
Just get them to 30 matches, then you can go with your fluff and fun
Bram

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

JohnnyFeyev wrote:
I was wondering what to do with my teams after they finished their league... albeit, I don't have a ton of them.

Join the OLC!
 Jump to: