43 coaches online • Server time: 16:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post killing by fun?goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Pact/Renegades meta
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Pro511

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

[Sorry if this has been discussed before but I haven't been around in a while. I did a quick search, I promise...]

The new GW rule for MVPs states that you CHOSE three players and roll a D3 to find out who gets the MVP. That was jaw dropping for me.

All of a sudden, your 3 difficult-to-skill Black Orc Blockers are getting all the MVPs. And your chaos warriors who only needed to score twice to get block are nerfed by the fact that they could get selected for an MVP anyway.

Big guys getting an average of 5 SPPs every 3 games?!

And you guys are way smarter than me, what effects am I missing? How much would this affect team building? How do I chose which guys would be most important to skill up?

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro511 wrote:
How do I chose which guys would be most important to skill up?

Generally speaking, to skill up positional players it's more important, because they have better stats/more starting skills/better skill access.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

- You can direct SPP into the players you want to skill.
You can use this mechanic to have a bigger say in how your roster will develop as a whole. You can, like you say, put MVPs into low AG high ST players (Saurus, Black Orcs, Ulfwerenar), or you can put it into fluff players like Flying Minotaurs, or you can spread out SPP evenly across many players. It gives you more freedom in the direction you take your team.

- Star Players and journeymen will no longer "steal" your MVPs
This means a slightly faster team build dynamic for the teams who rely on one, or both, of the above.

- Designated fodder players will not skill as often as before
This possibly takes away a little from the fluff aspect of teams in general, with for example far less linemen getting the odd +ST or +AG, and this might make future teams slightly more streamlined. Then again, you already have coaches retiring these kind of players for TV reasons as it is, so no skill linemen isn't something new.

- What players do I put MVPs on?
That depends what your goal for the team is. Is it maximum streamlining, concept teams, fluff teams. Basically it gives us slightly more freedom to decide the direction of our teams.

All in all I think it will make for more possibilities in team building. It is up to each coach how much he/she wants to make use of this.

If I should hazard another guess, it will probably lead to a slightly more sterile team environment overall, with coaches putting MVPs on some, and completely disregarding others.

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010

Last edited by Balle2000 on %b %29, %2016 - %14:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Uedder

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 14:48 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a buff to - mostly - bash teams, because they're the ones who struggle the most to develop positionals - sauruses, Bobs, Ulfs, Nurgle Warriors and Flesh golems come to mind. -

Skaven have a fast way to skill their S access players without risking hand-offs.

Elves will have no problem getting 1 skill linemen if they so wish, because the positionals don't usually have troubles getting spps.

Generally makes team building easier and less grindy, which goes along very well with the season dynamic.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 14:50
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

It might not apply online, but we've used this system in tabletop for a while and it normally plays out that everyone selects the 3 players who'd skill with 5spps Smile

It's really good for tabletop where you're playing less games and development is slower. Online environment is different though.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
jdm

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

No more mvp awards being wasted on snotlings, despite them being 2/3 of the roster.

In all honesty I'm not sure I'm a fan of the change. The new rules seem to be removing random element (like this) while increasing it elsewhere (cards etc).

I like the idea of a drunk dwarf being asked who mvp is at the end of the game. "Dat player there, number 12 *burp*." You know he sat on the bench all game?" "Zzzzz"

Last edited by jdm on %b %29, %2016 - %15:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
thoralf

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

It should be faster to build a team.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm kinda stumped on which positionals to nominate on Dwarves. There's nothing I'm particularly desperate to skill up on them. Nothing as radical as getting Block on a Black Orc Blocker.

I mean getting Block on runners is important but that happens on their second TD of the season.

MB on the blitzers? Otherwise, just try to get the linemen to Guard, right? I think they might be one of the teams that doesn't benefit as much from the switch as well.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone who would skill with 5 spps is a viable mvp on a dorf team.
Pro511

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

That was my feeling as well.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's a shame I liked the randomness and MVPs that would randomly accumulate on linemen say and get a +stat or something nice.

And that's I think the main thing all these rules will lead to, linemen will be even less skilled than now on average and that's a shame. Baring a select few rosters where linos do the heavy lifting like dwarves but then they have the power of a positional really.

DLE College 7s
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 16:37
FUMBBL Staff

Pro511 wrote:
I'm kinda stumped on which positionals to nominate on Dwarves. There's nothing I'm particularly desperate to skill up on them. Nothing as radical as getting Block on a Black Orc Blocker.

I mean getting Block on runners is important but that happens on their second TD of the season.

MB on the blitzers? Otherwise, just try to get the linemen to Guard, right? I think they might be one of the teams that doesn't benefit as much from the switch as well.

To debunk more fully...

This is HUGE for Dwarves.

Game one pick the three that caused cas, and you have your guard for game 2. Massive boost.

Slayers are liabilities with their av8 and 'march me into trouble' attitude, at least mb slayers are dangerous liabilities, that's now only 1 cas (and some 1 in 3 luck) away.

I can keep 3(or 6 if you're lame) low skill dorfs really easily for the hitting thereof by mine opponent? Why thank you Sir. And skill them pretty much at will to replace any better Dorfs that died? Cool.

And when my key runner/slayer/blitzer dies i shall replace him far easier you say? Ah but that applies to everyone? well, that will help undead more, but thank you anyways.

On top of this you nerfed Clawpomb and based expenses around a TV1000 concept making us cheap and affordable?

And maybe Wiz has even gone? Gone, not reduced, just gone?

Well thank you Sir, indeed,for the ruleset of the beard.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

As a predominantly Elf coach, my two cents is it sounds great!

I might very well be wrong, but I don't agree that this should always be used to supercharge positionals fast. Building a rounded team with skills distributed across the field might be more feasible.

This wonderful team, the Sage's Boring Delves are a great example with brilliant fluff and artwork

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=722496

And they're a great team! Win:loss 4:1 including easily trashing some all-over-the-place Elf team of mine. They really stood out, as I actually remember the opposition but don't remember my own team!

For Elves still at relatively low TV, having a couple of linemen with block sometimes makes a big difference. Those that get block sometimes survive to make blodge, boosting their survival chances further, even in the face of a lot more blocks (this can of course be brought to a sudden end at anytime).

Personally my dream team has always been an all-star team with 11 great players working the pitch. I have since learned how naive this is, about rule of 5 etc., but still my longest run at a high level was with Quixote with a legend or two, a couple of superstars, and some stars. It all came crashing down eventually, but was great while it lasted.

I hope this change gives coaches the flexibility to build their dream teams, and introduces a new strategic dimension alongside bash vs agility, something like concentration vs rounded approaches to team development
Pro511

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
Pro511 wrote:

To debunk more fully...

This is HUGE for Dwarves.

Game one pick the three that caused cas, and you have your guard for game 2. Massive boost.

Slayers are liabilities with their av8 and 'march me into trouble' attitude, at least mb slayers are dangerous liabilities, that's now only 1 cas (and some 1 in 3 luck) away.

I can keep 3(or 6 if you're lame) low skill dorfs really easily for the hitting thereof by mine opponent? Why thank you Sir. And skill them pretty much at will to replace any better Dorfs that died? Cool.

And when my key runner/slayer/blitzer dies i shall replace him far easier you say? Ah but that applies to everyone? well, that will help undead more, but thank you anyways.

On top of this you nerfed Clawpomb and based expenses around a TV1000 concept making us cheap and affordable?

And maybe Wiz has even gone? Gone, not reduced, just gone?

Well thank you Sir, indeed,for the ruleset of the beard.

Well explained. Thank you. I thought that them being a more homogenous team would cause problems but I see that you're also able to better direct your SPP flow you can spray it where you want and away from where you don't.

For a silly example: You could have 5 of your linemen have guard before anyone got a second skill which would be way more of a nightmare than one lineman with 30SPP.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 17:12
FUMBBL Staff

surely most FUMBBLers will select the three players that did the fluffiest things in the game?

That lineman that hung tough, the rookie with the key blitz and the oh god I can't even write it jokingly.

No. This will be ruthlessly meta-gamed and the killers/fillers stars/scrubs Heroes/zeroes formula will be more strictly adhered to than ever.

Jump to: