24 coaches online • Server time: 01:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PeteW

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 19:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends on the kids. My son is 7 and has been to 2 table top tournaments, and coped fine.

He has a fumbbl account, but has only played me. He may not have the time to play a full game against someone else. Maybe we should start a league for kids?

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

MonkeyMan576 wrote:
true, it would be nice if you could disable chat. A 14 and under league would be cool.

Disabling chat might prevent him from reading important messages written by his opponent, like "brb", "phone call", "emergency, sorry, I need 5 minutes" etc.
Consider that.
Oly1987

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 19:36 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
My twin boys just turned 11 on Friday. They are still playing Diablo II and one of them plays World of Warships. I don't think they are ready yet for FUMBBL and Blood Bowl in particular.

They play TT BB with me on and off and are just not into it yet.

Pfffft get with the times Granddad my 4 year old plays Diablo 3 and tries to play Rocket League xD He's watched me play fumbbl and has done a little practice with me on tabletop.

PeteW good idea i think a youth league would help bring in the younger faces, something like an up to 16/18 league? With specific rules about chatting etc
Throweck

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's a decent idea too. But I'd like us to put some safeguarding in place. Sorry, Headteacher brain kicking in!

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Oly1987 wrote:

Pfffft get with the times Granddad my 4 year old plays Diablo 3

LOL

Heck No man, Diablo III is for the birds.

My twin boys run bots and all kinds of fun stuff. They are basically the only players who run Hell/ Nightmare level Bots on US EAST. They actually have a following of players who want to know when they are running their tricked out Hell level bots.

They are going to dabble with Hardcore Bots once the ladder reset happens in the next few days.

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
Depends on the kids. My son is 7 and has been to 2 table top tournaments, and coped fine.

He has a fumbbl account, but has only played me. He may not have the time to play a full game against someone else. Maybe we should start a league for kids?

A league for kids would be fun, for the kids. Smile

Jeffro
zakatan

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think 11 year olds can enjoy the complexity of blood bowl, and in these days probably can't keep the focus for 90 minutes.

If your kid can, I believe fumbbl is family friendly enough for young lads. He can't play slower than some other small people around here, anyway.

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Totally! Fumbbl is for the people!
ramchop

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 21:08
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

As with people of all ages, it really depends on the person.

Mine started a while ago at 12 (just shy of 13), mostly FUMBBL at first. He won his first TT tournament a week ago - a fairly big one too (28 players). So proud, though I haven't won one yet - the little <edited> Wink
sann0638

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

My 8 year old has played Smile

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

MonkeyMan576 wrote:
Should I allow my 11 year old son to play on fumbbl?

As a newcomber, I think other coaches might be frustrated with his slow/low strategy style of play, but what do you think?

Start off, playing him on Academy if u have 2 computers. Guide him into a not-so-long-termed League if he likes it at all. Guide him to put up some info in his bio. Advise him to not starting to play in B or R for the time being. He's going to be in mid-puberty before u know it and then, what's he going to learn on the internets, anyways? Confused Shocked Wink

And hell, he might rock as a bb-coach in a few years, like Magnus Carlsen did in chess at a very early age. Watch his match vs. Kasparov when he drew that guy at age 13(!), where Kasparov was acting like an arse by even showing up late and leaving like it was someting unsignificant (he later made up by visiting the kid). Teach him to deal with his opponents, too. Don't forget to tell him you're proud if only for managing his frustration. Share your losses, wins & your hobby too! Razz
The_Murker

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it would be OK, as long as he started the game with a chat statement saying he was 11 years old.

Anyone being less than friendly should get a nice lil' warning or ban from admin, after Dad complains on his behalf. It would actually be a great opportunity for him to see you scanning for cyber-bullying, mistreatment, bad etiquette, etc.

So have him state than in chat, and promise to let you look at all the chat before the client is closed after a game.

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

for me I Can't see an issue just supervise and let opponent know that you are under 16 so to watch the language. That said 145 club would be perfect environment, you can't go wrong there. Any issues just report them to admins.
fxiii

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

i started Bloobowl at 9 years old but now i'm an evil guy and i foul on turn 16 Very Happy

take care !!
Kryten

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 23:29
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

As far as this goes, please ticket with Security Officers and let us know the situation up front. We'll make a note and be sure to handle situations appropriately.
 Jump to: