41 coaches online • Server time: 13:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kaze

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Adding another page for community ideas that can be voted up and down, changing the blackbox game maker to allow it to create games with 3 coaches, and more is all more work... and the staff is already doing plenty of work, like throweck said, many of the people should know that they are doing immense amounts of work, but arent.
smallman

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I support you 100% Matt. 1st priority is that rule breakers should get penalized. Otherwise such behavior just gets encouraged, and the problem gets worse.

I haven't played with my fave team smallkosp for 2.5 months, as I care more that this pixel hugger doesn't escape permanent damage with a cancelled game, which seemed to be the only option Throweck was interested in.

Maybe we need more impartial admins if the backlog is too high to give each ticket proper consideration.
Kaze

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

If its your favorite team, just go ahead and get the game cancelled. If all you like doing is killing other people players, then noone can do anything about it. Its the internet. At the same time, if doesnt want to play you, you cant punish him other than suspend him or ban him... other than that, noone can do anything about it, its the internet.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

If Dakka and smallman agree you know what they support is bad.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 02:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh heh. I don't want to play vs Smallkosp either.

How many disconnections am I allowed? Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 03:20 Reply with quote Back to top

smallman wrote:
I support you 100% Matt. 1st priority is that rule breakers should get penalized. Otherwise such behavior just gets encouraged, and the problem gets worse.

I haven't played with my fave team smallkosp for 2.5 months, as I care more that this pixel hugger doesn't escape permanent damage with a cancelled game, which seemed to be the only option Throweck was interested in.

Maybe we need more impartial admins if the backlog is too high to give each ticket proper consideration.

Wait wait wait, we've all been enjoying Box for 2.5 months because you refuse to let someone off the hook? The guy hasn't finished a game since October. What possible punishment could they face that would act as a proper disincentive from doing it again AND/OR someone else taking a cue and tying your team up for Nuffle know's how long? Not only that, it seems like they were recently active after a hiatus until they ran into your team and decided FUMBBL WASN'T WORTH IT BECAUSE OF YOU AND YOUR TEAM, PERSONALLY. HOW ARE YOU THIS BLIND!? HOW DO YOU NOT SEE YOURSELF AS A PROBLEM?! HOW CAN YOU USE A FACILE INVOCATION OF LEARNED BEHAVIOR AND SOME YEARS AND THOUSANDS OF HOURS LATER NOT SEE THAT YOU ARE A PROBLEM ON FUMBBL!?

You can't punish the dead with pain. And yet this is what you think Throweck can offer? Well, I hope you stick with trying to finish that game, the site has been made a better place for it, honestly. Wish you could appreciate that.

"1st priority is that rule breakers should get penalized."

And this is why you should stay well away from offering input on how to do things. 1st priority when two coaches are having an issue is establishing communication between them and having them talk out the problem, if they can.

There is nothing worse than someone trying to job the ref, the ref being the admin staff, into making a ruling on the spot, almost always in favor of the person demanding it. People like you and Dakka unilaterally believe yourselves to be the arbiter of what is right and the admins are just lackeys to do your righteous will. Neither of you ever considers the other person first, just for the sake of argument, when composing your thoughts. Even if you claim that you do, it literally never translates to what you finally spit out at us.

In the big picture, do you want FUMBBL to have the reputation of 'screw up once and you're out?'. How would that help with the rule for setting up second accounts and psuedo accounts? How would that help with already small numbers of neophytes trickling in?

Also, humorously, you two will likely put up with any amount of abuse anyone on the site hurls at you. Christer could replace all your teams with snot only teams for April Fool's and you would both raise holy hell on the forums for months about being put upon and how awful it is. And you'll still dutifully activate your teams when they're back to normal and do what you do.

Ah, but you might retort that you're concerned for other people who might get locked into games with deadbeats who drop FUMBBL forever and never finish the game.

That's why we have do have a process as painful as it is for you to deal with. Is it perfect - no. Could it be improved? Sure. Is developing some surefire method to the specs of two crotchety old Fumbblers a good way to approach it Laughing Laughing Laughing

Also, of course you two have issues often times that most other users don't seem to acutely suffer from. Like, why is it I've never had a problem with people dropping from games and not finding an amicable resolution to it? Huh...the mind can only wonder I suppose.

Last edited by mrt1212 on %b %08, %2019 - %03:%Jan; edited 4 times in total
MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 03:21 Reply with quote Back to top

fumbbl doesn't try to appeal to the masses we're a niche fanbase that prefers high quality play and coaches who meet their obligations and don't ragequit and who doesn't mind lower quality graphics. So I don't think "growing" is something we should necessarily try to do. Also we want to stay away from GW's lawyers.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 03:28 Reply with quote Back to top

MonkeyMan576 wrote:
fumbbl doesn't try to appeal to the masses we're a niche fanbase that prefers high quality play and coaches who meet their obligations and don't ragequit and who doesn't mind lower quality graphics. So I don't think "growing" is something we should necessarily try to do. Also we want to stay away from GW's lawyers.

You need to fill the bath at least more than it's draining. And the tub already aint very full. And do you see the scum that's stuck around in the bath? Wink
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 03:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Can I clarify something?

So.. if I were to make a second account with the sole purpose of trying to get a +ST human blitzer, then trying hard to get that dude killed by a smallskop player, then I bailed on the match, "never to return" in an attempt "to avoid the injury", thus locking up smallcrotch for, perhaps, ever.. that's an infraction, right?

New year's kisses to whatever genius thought of that before me.

New topic.. what's a cool handle for a new player on FUMBBL?

Next topic.. let's all guess MattDakka's next handle?

Next next topic.. anyone seen this DakkMakka guy play? He seems pretty good for a noob.

"You can't punish the dead with pain."

That is an epic quote. Tell me Eastwood said it!

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 04:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Is this the room for an argument?

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 05:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Took 17 or 18 pages, but this turned into a worthwhile read. Thank you for that.

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 07:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't been (back) to fumbbl to play a game for quite a while (>1 year), as well. While I don't mind having to geek my way through stuff (rules / naming / installation / etc). its really this...

delusional wrote:
One thing that stops me playing is the need to dedicate an hour or so to a game. It is a very long time and I really cannot do it.

...the fumbbl-rules ("you are expected to be able to play for 90 minutes") are spot on, at the moment and much of my frustration was related to games not being finished [All divisions], hard to schedule [League] or someone not showing up after a draw [Box]. I haven't played a match for over a year, because I don't feel like I'm ready to devote enough time to finish a game in one go [Box] or because I'm not willing to establish specific time-frames for specific matches [League]. Rolling Eyes
But I really miss BB and often watch others play... Cool

...what I play instead is landgrab (virtual version of the board-game Risk), which (funny enough) I've found through someone posting about it, here on the fumbbl-forums.

...what's great about LG: I'm able to choose between realtime (RT) games (with 2min or 5min-turns) and longer running games (typically 24h-turns).

On that site, I have about 15..20 parallel games (with 24h-turns) going *plus* the occasional realtime-game which might take an hour or so. I check into each of the 24h-games about 2..3x per day to make my move in case it's time to do so, yet. Often, turns don't take a full 24h. On LG, when one player doesn't make it within his time-slot (24h), it's an automatic skip of his turn and (typically) after 2 skips, that player gets "borgified", meaning some kind of (extremely basic) AI takes over to play out the match, with the left-over human(s) usually winning. No need for an admin to take any action. Smile

I would really love to see some (additional!) variant on fumbbl to play BB on a 24h rhythm (instead of the 4min-rhythm). It would be an instant coming back to fumbbl for me. Yes, I know it's football and action and such and was specifically designed with the 4-min turn-rule. But much like chess, I think one appropriate modification for adopting it to online-play around the globe would be to loosen those time-restrictions (much like what happened, when correspondence-chess first started). It could even mean to still leave the 4-min-turn-rule, but only starting the clock, once a player has chosen to start his turn (within his 24h-time-frame).
Desultory

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 07:37 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
After my opponent left on 25 December leaving my team stuck till today what happened?
The game is cancelled, and my opponent's behaviour is rewarded.
No consequence for him (he will get a warning, but let's face it, not a serious punishment), and I don't get the win.

A similar thing happened to me twice - one game was cancelled and the other game given a draw (one dropper was actually an admin - incredibly he is still an admin), and it was clear to me at least, that both droppers dropped for their own personal benefits. The whole saga completely wasted my, and admins time but both droppers got rewarded.

The two admins involved were unbelievabley big douches about it at the time (not throwreck).

Similarly to your situation, any thread I brought to the forums was locked and/or flamed. Ultimately I complained to Christer, and his answer was literally "shit happens". I still have the message/correspondence. But he was kind enough to return my donation, even though he complained about it.

The rhetoric is always that it's a 'free site', so basically admins can do whatever the hell they want. And then when I request my refund back because of such bad service, I'm the bad guy.

Cloggy wrote:
Desultory wrote:
we aren't allowed to discuss that because "It's a free site" and I'm being entitled/whining if I present any criticism.

Not quite. You are however being VERY entitled when you play 1000 games at someone else's expense and then you have the balls to ask for them to refund your donation when something happens that makes you unhappy.

That's something very far removed from the question whether or not you are allowed to discuss potential improvements.

Just for the record. I have donated more than once in the past, but my third donation was requested back because an admin was rude and handled my situation awfully.
And since then I've lost my silver badge.

Ignoring that though. It's not right to use 'it's a free site' rhetoric, but then if someone doesn't give a donation, then their opinion doesn't matter because they are being 'entitled' or whatever.

I would have donated a hell of a lot more, but FUMBBL management left me so bitter, that I didn't want to.

I repeat. I'm not saying this because I want my own way, I'm just highlighting some reasons why I left and maybe why people don't stick around. Outside of games, FUMBBL is from my perspective not a friendly place.

Last edited by Desultory on %b %08, %2019 - %08:%Jan; edited 7 times in total
Frylen

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 07:50 Reply with quote Back to top

finsterface wrote:
Corespondans Blood bowl

Wouldn’t sidestep, stand firm, shadowing, wrestle and intercepts etc be a problem to this?
finsterface

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 08:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Frylen wrote:
finsterface wrote:
Corespondans Blood bowl

Wouldn’t sidestep, stand firm, shadowing, wrestle and intercepts etc be a problem to this?

darn, it's been *really* long since I played my last match, I guess Embarassed Laughing
 Jump to: