31 coaches online • Server time: 08:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Alaund

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2018 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there!

On a fairly fresh Woodies team I've already managed to develop a Strip Ball / Tackle Wardancer. For the second one I planned the Frenzy route. However, to my joy, he got +ST on his first level up!

That made me wonder, though. With the +ST is it still okay to build him with Frenzy and go for that solo 4d Blitzes? Should I build a second Strip Baller to get advantage of that +ST while leaping into cages or would that be a waste as I already have one? What do you think would be more beneficial in the long run, ladder environment?

Thank you in advance for your advice! Smile
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2018 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I would not take Strip Ball on the ST 4 WD, instead I would take Tackle, Side Step, Frenzy, Wrestle on him.
Also, Strip Ball is less useful as the TV increases because Sure Hands will be more common.
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2018 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Strip ball works well with a strength disadvantadge. On frenzy blocks you really want a strength advantadge.
Alaund

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2018 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, that seems settled then! Smile

@MattDakka, one more question to the skill order you suggested - what is your reasoning for not taking Frenzy first, before Tackle and Side Step?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2018 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Alaund wrote:
Alright, that seems settled then! Smile

@MattDakka, one more question to the skill order you suggested - what is your reasoning for not taking Frenzy first, before Tackle and Side Step?

Because if you take Frenzy first you might risk to move in bad positions and be pushed out of the pitch, especially if you don't knock down your opponent.
You might risk to dodge away but in some turns you can't afford to risk a dodge (for example if you need to move your unprotected ball carrier right after the WD blitz).
If you don't take Tackle first, you will be afraid to blitz block, dodge, side step players, because they could lure your WD in bad positions.

Last edited by MattDakka on Jul 19, 2018 - 16:03; edited 2 times in total
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2018 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

With frenzy, if you are not an excellent player, you will not be able to blitz with your best wardancer every turn, or even very much. A better player will position to force frenzy into 1d blocks, or -2d blocks. With a ST 4 dancer, you have a great 'fire and retreat' weapon you can use as your blitzer-hunter. I would forget frenzy and go for Mightly Blow, Tackle and Side-Step at 51 if Jugger is not an option. Adding Sure Hands at 51 is also great, as you will soon be addicted to a ST4 leaping ball carrier. Additionally, your strip-baller is the insurance that leaps into the cage to drop the ball, and ST4 sure hands dancer is someone who can actually recover that ball and have a decent chance to hold onto it.

I would forget frenzy for now, as you have rolled a much better +ST.

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2018 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:
I would forget frenzy and go for Mightly Blow, Tackle and Side-Step at 51 if Jugger is not an option.

WDs don't have S access, only if he rolls a double can take MB.
Alaund

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you all for your answers!

I thought I'd share the story that came afterwards with the guy.

The very next game I played he did splendid, great fire & run blitzes. Near the end of the game his brethen dancer rolled a niggling injury, used the apo to help him out, didn't really work out. I shrugged off - happens, right? The next turn my +ST star dancer failed the hand-off with reroll, leaving himself open to a surf. Which succedded. And he rolled a death.

Some time ago I read someone complaining he only sees those bragging threads how a super star gets another +stat and never a one where someone dies in the end. Well, here it is. Very Happy He played a total of 2 games, scoring three touchdowns. A short career, sadly.

Oh. I won that game. At least there's that. Smile
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Alaund wrote:
Thank you all for your answers!
You are welcome Smile

Alaund wrote:

Don't get too much attached to your players, they come and go, while wins will shine forever as stars in your glory's sky.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Alaund wrote:
And he rolled a death.

Yah. The superstitious would caution you about posting on player skill choices with really good or promising players. Like, if Nuffle thinks you're bragging it's supposed to be bad luck. They would tell you to approach top coaches on Discord for questions like this. They're probably wrong, but your case is yet more anecdotal evidence for their position.

Quote:

Reminds me of the sports interview in the talk radio station on GTA: San Andreas. "Sure, the left side of my face is paralyzed for life, but we won the game!" Very Happy No, seriously, congrats. Great players come and go, but wins accumulate.

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 04:55 Reply with quote Back to top

surely Kick as 6th skill
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 09:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
surely Kick as 6th skill

On normals yes. Double has to be leader.

Personally I can't think of a situation where I would put frenzy on a dancer. Possibly if he already had MB and ss with other players being experienced ball stealers. Even then I don't think I would. This is not pixel hugging rather that you need to have 2 good ones on the pitch as much as possible. Frenzy is counter productive to that aim.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 09:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I love frenzy. I did have dancers with frenzy. They are awesome.

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I like Frenzy too, it's the poor man's Mighty Blow and Tackle.
 Jump to: