24 coaches online • Server time: 04:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wotfudboy

Post 22 Posted: Mar 22, 2019 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been enjoying Fumbbl for many years now... I've dabbled with Ranked, Stunty, Blackbox and for the most part, League, playing mostly arranged matches.

However, with a job change, and a change of hours, the window of opportunity for playing games has lessened. I've reduced the leagues I participate in down to two, but this may have to reduce further if work is an obstacle for me, sooooo the point of this background-painting ramble is this question;

"What area/part of Fumbbl would you personally recommend taking part in for maximum enjoyment/minimum waiting around if you only could play a game or two a week with only a couple of irregular hours as a window of opportunity?"

I've been listening to/catching up on the the backlog of Fumbbl podcasts on my commute and it's made me realise just how much of Fumbbl I've not only been ignorant of, but also the bits I thought I knew have changed considerably over the years.

I would appreciate your considered thoughts!
Thanks in advance!!

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2019 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

alot of people seem to play around 2100 to midnight bbtime. ranked or box

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2019 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd do two things:

1. Establish a rapport with several coaches you see in Ranked so you are seen as a fun and desirable opponent.
2. Play in Ranked.

1. Learn the vagaries of Box activations
2. Play in Box.

Believe it or not, Box has been on equal footing with Ranked in terms of games played for a couple of months. In the past, Ranked had a ton more pull and weight and that's generally where you could find a game at any point in time, just with less amenable options.

Box is really good during peak hours and really bad during off peak just in pure frequency of game arrangements. But we off peak Boxers are a proud people and would love to have more join us.
Seventyone

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2019 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

league is best....
but not if you can't tell when you can play
black box trophy?

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2019 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, giving BBox Trophy a go... didn't realise there was so much time left to play! Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2019 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Try Secret League Open.

Not as fast to get a game as R & B, but some may say "more fun". Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 02:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I play 1-2 games a week and it is mostly r/b tournament games. So this is what I do:
Build up a few teams to TV 1800+, join every major qualifier and from time to time a brawl if you're in good mood and play this one arranged game each week. If a XFL qualifier starts, it is 3 games each week but sometimes you start in round 2 so you have more than two weeks anyway to play one of these games.

That said means never retire as I don't have the time to rebuild a team. I rather go on with a team that has 4 Loner but a few decent players than to start with a blank sheet.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 02:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
I play 1-2 games a week and it is mostly r/b tournament games. So this is what I do:
Build up a few teams to TV 1800+, join every major qualifier and from time to time a brawl if you're in good mood and play this one arranged game each week. If a XFL qualifier starts, it is 3 games each week but sometimes you start in round 2 so you have more than two weeks anyway to play one of these games.

That said means never retire as I don't have the time to rebuild a team. I rather go on with a team that has 4 Loner but a few decent players than to start with a blank sheet.

This is a great suggestion to get your fix. Do note that you will be required to schedule times with an opponent and as such it's probably good to have a pre arranged 'relax time' period where you could do anything really but one night a week, you've got a tourney to play.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 07:57 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Dominik wrote:

This is a great suggestion to get your fix. Do note that you will be required to schedule times with an opponent and as such it's probably good to have a pre arranged 'relax time' period where you could do anything really but one night a week, you've got a tourney to play.

The problem is that your "one night a week" might have to match the other coach's "one night a week."

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 08:22 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:
Dominik wrote:

The problem is that your "one night a week" might have to match the other coach's "one night a week."

Should I explain what I mean more or are you being obtuse on purpose?
reroll_LGC

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 09:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't think he's being obtuse at all - just pointing out that both parties have to be free, and that is hard if both have limited time.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as OP re limited time. I dropped out of Leagues and focus on grid fill. No hassle, no back and forth organising, no waiting for games etc. I love it. I will do leagues again, but for now Ranked Grid Fill challenge is what keeps me going:)
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 10:14
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Dominik wrote:

The problem with that suggestion is if you don’t already have the teams at that TV the ‘build a few teams up to 1800’ part takes forever. Wotfudboy seems to have half a dozen in that range though, so it may work for him.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:

Should I explain what I mean more or are you being obtuse on purpose?

Aww crap. I've not been on the forums that much recently. I forgot to check my list of people to never respond too.

My bad.

No. Don't bother responding again.

Last edited by koadah on Mar 23, 2019 - 13:32; edited 2 times in total
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Start off by filling your grid in Ranked and then work on Blackbox.
This will do a few things for you when it comes to getting the most out of playing on here..
You will gain experience playing with and against races you normally wouldn’t.
It will take away the frustration/pixelhugging of ‘building’ teams.
You will gain a tangible sense of accomplishment.
You will meet coaches you might not have otherwise met because of people’s preferences of matchups.
Finally, it just adds to the overall benefit of the site because there is more diversity in the races being played

koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I kind of assumed that if he was cutting down his league play, adding more scheduled games would not be the way forward.

Box Trophy offers a league like challenge without the scheduling.

Secret League Open also has it's Sprint.

There are also things like Black Box Arr Sprints or Human or general Sprints.

However IMO, if you only have time for a very small number of matches, a ranked type approach may be better than a Box approach. The reasoning being, if it is your only game of the week, you want to reduce the chances of it being a stinker. You can pick the opposing team/coach. IMO it is less you a big deal if you can quickly play other matches to make up for it.

Jump to: