18 coaches online • Server time: 07:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cbstory

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Good Afternoon, All

I am a software developer and I have a love for table top bloodbowl and have just recently discovered fumbbl.com. Unfortunately the game client is a very dated java client that requires both players to download the java client to run a game.

I would like to develop or at least port the current game client to Python3 code that would be able to be run directly on the fumbbl server but would allow players to create, join and play games.

The server side functions would be ideal due to the inability for users to modify the game code or the results of a game. A simple time out function could be used where any game that a couch leaves for more than 15 mins tallies as a draw and the leaving couch could be recorded to check for abusive use of the system.

I believe the overall build would be pretty straight forward if I had the existing source code.

Does anyone have the current fantasy football client source code for me to work off?

I have a lot more freedom with the holidays coming up that I could pour into this effort to get the ball rolling.

Let me know if there is any interest in this endeavor. Either way I'd still like to work on it as a fun project.
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=30172

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks. I saw that posted however it's over a year old and I don't see it going anywhere. I did post on that thread though so hopefully I'll get a response. I would love to improve the experience for not only myself but everyone else too.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a list of projects that tap the API that you could work on.
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

cbstory wrote:
Thanks. I saw that posted however it's over a year old and I don't see it going anywhere. I did post on that thread though so hopefully I'll get a response. I would love to improve the experience for not only myself but everyone else too.

It may not be going anywhere because Christer is only one man and help has not materialised.

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm willing to help anywhere I can. I do have some php,html and javascript experience, but I was wanting to try to improve the actual game client so that it functions a little better and didn't require a java download.
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Cool. It looks javascript all the way. Smile

https://fumbbl.com/p/blog?c=Christer&id=21618

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello! Very Happy

cbstory wrote:

A simple time out function could be used where any game that a couch leaves for more than 15 mins tallies as a draw and the leaving couch could be recorded to check for abusive use of the system.

No please, that would encourage leaving when losing a game.
The leaving coach must lose the game, not tying it.

As an aside, if you can, please add in your client a sound and an icon (I suggest a small lightning) on the player selecting a Blitz action.
Sometimes I accidentally select Blitz instead of Move and waste it because the Blitz action is not clearly displayed by the client.
Thanks in advance!
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

cbstory wrote:
Does anyone have the current fantasy football client source code for me to work off?

Probably mentioned already, but get in touch with Christer here or on Discord, because I believe he was looking for collaborators to the new client he is developing.

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
cbstory

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I sent christer an email hopefully i'll get a response. As far as people timing out of a game or quitting the program could track people that do it often and after a certain number in a time frame just award the win to the remaining player.
stowelly

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Some work on a javascript version has been done. if you wanted to look at the network model here to base some work off you could do just that. https://github.com/christerk/ffbclient

definitely worth talking to Christer though. id recomend joining the discord
cbstory

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks I'll take a look at that and see what I can cobble together!
Christer

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 20:31
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

Yes, I am certainly interested in additional help working with the client, but there are some things you would need very strong reasons for me to agree to:

1. Fully server-side. There are inherent issues with a web client (as I've found doing the ffbclient html5 application). Without a native client-side application things are going to be complicated and I'm not sure it's feasible to actually get that to run well.

2. Python. I've played around with Python, but I'm not sure I'm interested in pushing into a "new" language and platform for something as big as the client. Also relates to the above, in the sense that I currently don't know the status of compiling Python into native applications, nor do I know what bindings are available for graphical cross-platform graphics.

That being said, I *am* currently in a phase where I am looking at realistic alternatives to a new client. The current Java/Web start combination has problems both in terms of technology (it's too complicated to get it running properly) but also there's a growing resistance from Oracle to keep things as-is (more and more strict security and egregious licensing being pushed down our throats).

There are, however, a couple of things you need to keep in mind here. The code for the FFBClient isn't open source, and it's far far more complex than you imagine. Nothing about it is straight-forward, and I would imagine that if you really want to help out (which I am still open to in principle) you should expect 100 hours or so of work to even understand how it works. And that's probably being optimistic. I don't know your background or experience, but would be very happy to talk about it on Discord.

The thing here, though, is that from my perspective it's potentially a big time-sink to take on another person to assist. As you may imagine, I am very careful with that as it's very very common for people to offer help, start looking at something and then walking away realizing it's actually hard and takes effort. I'm generally pretty sceptical to new ideas or offers like this, perhaps because of past experience. You have been on the site for a month and a half. That's not an issue in itself, but I can't possibly know how serious you are at this point. Are you willing to spend your upcoming holiday on learning a new codebase with tens of thousands lines of code? Are you willing to adapt to the reality of the platform that FFB is written on (server-side Java is probably not changing anytime soon, even though client-side might change to something else)?

Either way, find me on Discord and we can talk. I'm always keen on talking tech with people.
Throweck

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I used to be able to get my VIC 20 to repeat my name in text? That any good?

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

That latest git version doesn't build for me. A few tweaks and it loads.

Jump to: